Verizon unlimited upgrade loophole

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You"ll lose your unlimited eventually regardless.even if you use someone else's or another lines upgrade, when your contract end date comes (which is typicall within four months of your upgrade) when you renew your contract with VZW you'll lose your unlimited then. Whether you used your upgrade or not.

This is absolutely, 100% FALSE.

I swear VZW must be hiring people to go online and lie in as many ways possible about losing unlimited data.

I have 2 lines with unlimited data that are month to month (out of contract) so I know for a fact you do not lose unlimited upon contract end date.

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I swear VZW must be hiring people to go online and lie in as many ways possible about losing unlimited data.

I have 2 lines with unlimited data that are month to month (out of contract) so I know for a fact you do not lose unlimited upon contract end date.

Yeah cause what would be the point of upgrading out of contact to keep unlimited if you were going to lose unlimited anyway

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The catch here with any subsidized upgrade ( I'm adding a line to my old family share to get the S4 and then activating a basic phone on the line) and keep unlimited Is the subsidized phone MUST be activated on the line it was ordered for FIRST. It can then be switched to another line. If you take the new phone right to your number, there is a high likelyhood you will lose unlimited. I was warned not to activate it on my line first. So if you use your girlfriends upgrade, she must activate it first herself, then swap back to her old phone....then you may use it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hell, even their cfo said switching from a 3G to 4GLTE phone would cause you to lose unlimited....

Which is wrong of course.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So it's possible to upgrade from dumbphone to smartphone, then switch back to your old dumbphone, and thus go back to the lower month rate? Thus have a discounted brand new smartphone to do with as you please (i.e. sell for nice profit on ebay), with no increased monthly cost?

Seems to be missing something, no? Why wouldn't people with dumbphones do this more often? I guess may be this is where some of the ebay phones come from; but seems odd.

You have to have a feature that is allowed for your device. A dumb phone cannot be on a smartphone data plan just like a smartphone cannot be on a dumb phone data plan. Some features are required, like smartphones require a data plan, even if you pay full retail for it.

My wife is always on WiFi, some months using 0mb, yet I still have to pay $20 per month for her 300mb data plan

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will allow you to upgrade any line that is already a phone and move that new phone to any other line on the same account. Even if the line that has unlimited is eligible, you can transfer that upgrade to another line and keep unlimited. You can also add new lines of service to get a subsidized price then put a dumb phone on the new line and transfer the new device to tour number. All of these ways let you keep unlimited. You cannot use tablet, jetpack, or home phone connect line upgrades (anything that uses a special rate plan) to do this however. And be aware if using sites like amazon or wirefly that doing this alternate upgrade method could cause an etf based on their terms and conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The catch here with any subsidized upgrade ( I'm adding a line to my old family share to get the S4 and then activating a basic phone on the line) and keep unlimited Is the subsidized phone MUST be activated on the line it was ordered for FIRST. It can then be switched to another line. If you take the new phone right to your number, there is a high likelyhood you will lose unlimited. I was warned not to activate it on my line first. So if you use your girlfriends upgrade, she must activate it first herself, then swap back to her old phone....then you may use it.

This wasn't the case for me. I always fire up my brand new phones I get straight onto my unlimited line, whether they be upgrades or new lines.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This wasn't the case for me. I always fire up my brand new phones I get straight onto my unlimited line, whether they be upgrades or new lines.
Have you done this since Verizon started their new policy of switching people off of unlimited data if they upgrade on their unlimited data line?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I get a new phone every six months.
And these are subsidized phones that you used an upgrade to obtain?

I personally am not willing to take a chance. It is one more step to activate a subsidized phone first on a non-unlimited data line and then reactivate it on the unlimited data line. Hardly takes any time at all.

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I personally am not willing to take a chance. It is one more step to activate a subsidized phone first on a non-unlimited data line and then reactivate it on the unlimited data line. Hardly takes any time at all.

Doubt it. I've gone through the website before when upgrading and they warn you that they are removing your unlimited plan.

This guy is doing it through a 3rd party.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Which means you are buying it outright or from a 3rd party (craigslist) which does not count towards the unlimited data. Only if you were to buy it on contract that is when you would lose the unlimited
Nope, I get all my phones from Verizon.

Yes, they are subsidized phones.
Doubt it. I've gone through the website before when upgrading and they warn you that they are removing your unlimited plan.

This guy is doing it through a 3rd party.

No third party here. I have multiple lines so every time I want a new phone I usually have an upgrade available. I have one dummy phone that I don't use, so I just transfer my upgrade to that line, order my phone and when I get it I put my SIM card from my personal phone line in and I'm good to go. I just used one of my upgrades to order the S4 and I have another upgrade available in a couple days. If I really like the S4 I may get another but I will probably just save that one for the Note 3 later this year.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Then you doing exactly what everyones talking about thats why its called a loophole

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I get all my phones from Verizon.

Yes, they are subsidized phones.

No third party here. I have multiple lines so every time I want a new phone I usually have an upgrade available. I have one dummy phone that I don't use, so I just transfer my upgrade to that line, order my phone and when I get it I put my SIM card from my personal phone line in and I'm good to go. I just used one of my upgrades to order the S4 and I have another upgrade available in a couple days. If I really like the S4 I may get another but I will probably just save that one for the Note 3 later this year.

This is exactly what I do as well

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I know, that's why I posted but then people assumed I didn't know what I was talking about.
I don't think it was that as much as you didn't give enough info for people to know what you were talking about. Now you have clarified. Thanks.

That's great if it works, I just am so worried about losing unlimited data that I will take the additional step of activating on the limited data line first even if it is unnecessary.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
i got the iphone 5 and did the same thing. i upgraded on a dumb phone line, and activated it on my line right away which had and still has unlimited data

abishai#AC

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered a bunch already but here goes. I have an upgrade available on my line but I want to keep unlimited. I've in this thread were you can transfer the upgrade off of your line to another line on your account and keep your unlimited. Am I understanding this correctly? So if I take my upgrade and transfer it to my sons line, upgrade his phone, then transfer the phone to my number and reactivate his old phone I will still have unlimited? Will the other phone get its upgrade at its scheduled time or will the two year cycle start over for it the day I transfer my upgrade and get an S4?

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered a bunch already but here goes. I have an upgrade available on my line but I want to keep unlimited. I've in this thread were you can transfer the upgrade off of your line to another line on your account and keep your unlimited. Am I understanding this correctly? So if I take my upgrade and transfer it to my sons line, upgrade his phone, then transfer the phone to my number and reactivate his old phone I will still have unlimited? Will the other phone get its upgrade at its scheduled time or will the two year cycle start over for it the day I transfer my upgrade and get an S4?

Correct. Just activate his line with the s4 then swap the sim card with yours, unless you don't have a 4G sim card - then you will have to go in store and get a sim card installed. Which isn't a big deal.

But ya your son will still get his scheduled upgrade.

Also you can chat with Verizon live on their site and they can confirm all this.

Last edited: