Verizon unlimited upgrade loophole

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
keep in mind this loophole could close at any given moment. They can take away our unlimited anytime they want as well I guess, but I'm glad I upgraded my two unlimited lines for now while I still had the chance.

That's a chance I'm going to have to take. I've gotten very comfortable sitting on this fence.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You only need one other phone line, other than your current unlimited line. The VZW rep who turned me onto this said that some folks add a minimal month-to-month line to their account to pull this off, then cancel it. I didn't do it that way, so I can't vouch for that method, but I've seen online where others have done it. Cost them a month's fee for the dummy line. Your mileage may vary.
So you're using a dummy line, to which you transfer your upgrade (from the unlimited line) , get the new phone on that dummy line, transfer the phone to the unlimited line, and cancel the dummy line?

Wouldn't you be incurring Early Termination Fee,
$350, when dropping the dummy line (since you got the discounted phone under it)?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So you're using a dummy line, to which you transfer your upgrade (from the unlimited line) , get the new phone on that dummy line, transfer the phone to the unlimited line, and cancel the dummy line?

Wouldn't you be incurring Early Termination Fee,
$350, when dropping the dummy line (since you got the discounted phone under it)?

You are correct. And if you add a line to get a smart phone, you have a $350 ETF, regardless of if you move that device to another line.

jesup

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I did this for two phones; one using the upgrade available on the flip phone, the other with a transferred upgrade, both to S4′s. Worked fine; just had to go in and get new SIMs for each one ? I couldn?t online-activate with the original SIMs to transfer the phones to the ?correct? numbers.. And make sure to go to an ?owned? store (Verizon CS warned me about this); you?ll get the SIMs for free - an affiliate store may charge. (We bought a case to make the people there feel better about doing this, as due to verizon?s system it took them a while.)

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I did this for two phones; one using the upgrade available on the flip phone, the other with a transferred upgrade, both to S4′s. Worked fine; just had to go in and get new SIMs for each one ? I couldn?t online-activate with the original SIMs to transfer the phones to the ?correct? numbers.. And make sure to go to an ?owned? store (Verizon CS warned me about this); you?ll get the SIMs for free - an affiliate store may charge. (We bought a case to make the people there feel better about doing this, as due to verizon?s system it took them a while.)

Two weeks ago I was able to swap my S4 onto the unlimited line and Thunderbolt to the new line. It took about 30 minutes but the CSR was really nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah,
I did this as well a while back when I upgraded to an iPhone 5 (don't judge me! heh). My pops wanted an iPhone 4S, which I already had, and I wanted a 5 so he upgraded and then we simply activated my iPhone on his account, and then I swapped his over. I think if the SIM card is attached to one number they might just have to charge you 10 bucks for a new one (they mentioned that once to me, but I never paid attention since when I did this I was at the store and they simply setup the SIM card for LTE for my number right away).

Anyhow... works great. I was able to keep my unlimited data, and got an iPhone 5 and he got my 4S happily. Win / Win.

** Before anyone asks... I'm here because I'm switching to an S4 as a company I work with is hooking me up so I can run their new Android build and I'm a big tech nerd so I'm quite antsy waiting **

Nas559

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I went in to a vzw store n they told me that even if you transfer your upgrade from a unlimited line to a flip phone line n use it, you still lose your unlimited data b/c the upgrade is still connected to the original line. I went in on Aug 12. Anybody done it recently?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I went in to a vzw store n they told me that even if you transfer your upgrade from a unlimited line to a flip phone line n use it, you still lose your unlimited data b/c the upgrade is still connected to the original line. I went in on Aug 12. Anybody done it recently?

Just do it online...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jerrod22

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I did it about two weeks ago with 2 existing lines I had the s4 on the upgraded tiered line for like 2 minutes. Then went into the store as I needed a sim for my line and had it activated. Dont transfers phones between lines yoy want to activate upgrade, deactivate and then activate on new line

Posted via Android Central App