Verizon's Galaxy S4 will have 14.5 GB of free space out the box?

prodigy1814

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching to Android from Blackberry. I pre-ordered the 16GB Galaxy S4 on Verizon. However, I was not pleased to find out that the amount of free space could be as low as 8.8GB. But according to a Verizon rep, the amount of free space will be 14.5GB. I find this hard to believe. I even clarified my question for confirmation and she insisted that 14.5GB is correct. Is 14.5GB plausible or misinformation? Screenshot is attached.

Attachments

• verizons4.jpg
    verizons4.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 114

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not possible, since that would be close to the size after formatting and no OS, apps or system allocation. If anything, the VZW version will have even less given their lust for bloat.

kashk5

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm skeptical. Sounds more like what you said, that 14.5GB is the formatted amount available. If I had to venture a guess, particularly given Verizon's love affair with bloatware, not to mention the plethora of Samsung apps, the Verizon version of the S4 will have probably the same amount of space as the ones on every other carrier, maybe even a little less.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The most important parts of her reply are where she keeps spamming, "would you like to preorder this amazing phone today?" She wants the sale. If the 16gb version has 14.5, free then hell has frozen over.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Might I suggest over the weekend or during the week you visit a store that already has the phone and see the available space and talk to a rep at the store. I have heard a few people in the forums for the S4 complaining about the same thing and we all know with the OS and bloatware it is going to use considerable space but should not be that much.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
As much as I'd like for this to be true for you guys who have Verizon, that's highly unlikely. Fortunately, the SD card slot is present and can be expanded up to 64 GB. Having 10 GB for games and apps and 64 GB for media should be sufficient for the majority of users.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
As much as I'd like for this to be true for you guys who have Verizon, that's highly unlikely. Fortunately, the SD card slot is present and can be expanded up to 64 GB. Having 10 GB for games and apps and 64 GB for media should be sufficient for the majority of users.

I would suggest that majority will be a lot less due to growing app sizes. The 16gb S4 is the modern day G1, minus the rooting ability to use apps2sd.

Just give it a few months for some customers to figure they were lied to that they can put apps in the sd card. Class action law suits have been done for less.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

You are clearly mistaken having less than 10GB of space for apps is unacceptable, if that was the case the LG Optimus G Pro would have come with 16GB, yet it has 32GB. The GN3 is looking to come with 32GB. So it would seem the OEM's are waking up . . . finally.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You are clearly mistaken having less than 10GB of space for apps is unacceptable, if that was the case the LG Optimus G Pro would have come with 16GB, yet it has 32GB. The GN3 is looking to come with 32GB. So it would seem the OEM's are waking up . . . finally.

I said for the majority of users. Obviously there's those that have several games that take up a GB or more that would need more space. I'm surprised that they're apparently deciding against releasing the 32 GB option in the US for most carriers. I'd guess that they sell well enough to be worth producing considering how well the higher GB iPhones sell.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
SD cards are slow and unreliable and require rooting to use properly. Not a solution.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The rep in the screenshot in the OP clearly says they don't know the exact size and when pushed spits out 14.5. Stupid to put any weight on information that was forced out of someone that says they don't know the answer to your question.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
SD cards are slow and unreliable and require rooting to use properly. Not a solution.

Moot now, since apps2sd has not worked since two OS versions ago. It is still possible to push some apps, but hit and miss and you have to start from scratch to update the app. IE, not a practical option anymore.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm switching to Android from Blackberry. I pre-ordered the 16GB Galaxy S4 on Verizon. However, I was not pleased to find out that the amount of free space could be as low as 8.8GB. But according to a Verizon rep, the amount of free space will be 14.5GB. I find this hard to believe. I even clarified my question for confirmation and she insisted that 14.5GB is correct. Is 14.5GB plausible or misinformation? Screenshot is attached.

Highly doubt it. If internal storage is important to you, I'd wait until the device is released rather than pre-order.

I would suggest that majority will be a lot less due to growing app sizes. The 16gb S4 is the modern day G1, minus the rooting ability to use apps2sd.

Just give it a few months for some customers to figure they were lied to that they can put apps in the sd card. Class action law suits have been done for less.

The #1 question to ask...are you planning on installing GAMES?. If the answer is no, then I agree completely with ericsckane that the 16GB unit (+SDCard support) will be fine for *most* users. I have 100+ apps on my 16GB GS3 which take up only ~1.5GB, and I still have over 8GB remaining. I don't have any games installed, nor do I plan on installing any. Those are the apps that primarily take up multiple GBs of storage -- if you're not into that sort of thing and have an SD card for your media files, then there really shouldn't be a problem. I'm not saying you can't install any games either...but it is true you'd have to limit yourself because if you installed more than 2 or 3 you'll probably max out your storage.

I realize that there are quite a few folks who enjoy the games and want the extra storage space -- but if you're not one of those people, than I still say 16GB internal storage is plenty.

I don't recall the specs of the G1, but I do remember that the original Droid had only 256MB of internal storage for apps and OS. The ability to move apps to SD was absolutely necessary back in those days, but I think it's a bit extreme to compare those kinds of specs to a 16GB S4. Apps2SD was never an optimal solution (it was one born out of necessity), and there are very good reasons why it isn't supported anymore. I don't see reps out there telling people they can do this, and I don't think a class-action lawsuit would get very far either.

If the S4 didn't have SD card support, I'd agree that 16GB is unacceptable, and if I were shopping for a Nexus phone, for example, I'd definitely want at least 32GB, if not more...but as long as I can keep my media on the SD Card, then it doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I mean really, when was the last time a CSR was every right on the details or had a clue let alone an in store rep (some are good mind you) but a lot are simply clueless. Telling people they can put apps on the SD card when you haven't been able to for a couple of OS revisions.