VZW GS4 is $179 on Wirefly

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you had any experience buying a phone from Wirefly? That's by far the best price, and they don't charge sales tax or shipping. If I buy from VZW, it will cost $200 + tax on the unsubsidized price (~$44) and you have to pay an extra $50 up front and then mail in a rebate. $179 sounds really good as long as it ships around the same time as Verizon does.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I got a phone from them a while back. Only catch is you have to keep the phone activated for 180 days or something like that or they charge you a large fee. I forget the exact number of days. They will ship the phone though. Didn't have a issue with that.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I got a phone from them a while back. Only catch is you have to keep the phone activated for 180 days or something like that or they charge you a large fee. I forget the exact number of days. They will ship the phone though. Didn't have a issue with that.

Thanks! Good to know. I'm buying on contract so I wouldn't switch phones anyway for 2 years so I'm not too worried about having to have it activated for 180 days.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I will copy and paste the same thing I just posted in another Wirefly thread:

I bought from Wirefly once and was NOT happy. Their rebates have so much red tape that they are practically impossible to get, and I believe they intentionally scammed me out of mine. When I joined T-mobile I used Wirefly to do it. The phone they sent me had a Memphis phone number, even though I clearly live in Nashville (3 hours away). They MAILED me the phone, so they knew where I lived and I had requested a LOCAL phone number. By calling T-mobile to change the phone number to a local phone number, it voided the rebates from Wirefly. I would NOT do business with them. But if you do, I would not rely on any rebates - as you will most likely never get them.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I will copy and paste the same thing I just posted in another Wirefly thread:

I bought from Wirefly once and was NOT happy. Their rebates have so much red tape that they are practically impossible to get, and I believe they intentionally scammed me out of mine. When I joined T-mobile I used Wirefly to do it. The phone they sent me had a Memphis phone number, even though I clearly live in Nashville (3 hours away). They MAILED me the phone, so they knew where I lived and I had requested a LOCAL phone number. By calling T-mobile to change the phone number to a local phone number, it voided the rebates from Wirefly. I would NOT do business with them. But if you do, I would not rely on any rebates - as you will most likely never get them.

Interesting...

However, there are no rebates for this since they're just selling it for $179 and I'm not changing numbers or carriers, just upgrading my phone on an existing family plan on VZW. On the other hand, I want to be able to trust that if the phone I get is defective, then I can mail it back and get another one.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I just preordered on Target for $179.00 with free shipping and no sales tax. It said that my upgrade was available even though at the VZW store they told me my upgrade isn't available until Wednesday.

wirefly_kim

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
We do not offer Rebates anymore and have not offered them since 2007, when Wirefly became part of privately held Simplexity, LLC. We have no association with the company that previously owned us and managed our programs, including our rebates. Please PM me if you have any other questions/concerns about rebates from Wirefly PRIOR to 2007. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
We do not offer Rebates anymore and have not offered them since 2007, when Wirefly became part of privately held Simplexity, LLC. We have no association with the company that previously owned us and managed our programs, including our rebates. Please PM me if you have any other questions/concerns about rebates from Wirefly PRIOR to 2007. Thanks.

It is my understanding that Wirefly was owned by Inphonic prior to 2007. The CEO of Inphonic was Andy Zeinfeld. Inphonic was essentially dissolved around 2007 and a new company, Simplexity was started, with the assets from Inphonic. The first CEO of Simplexity was none other than Andy Zeinfeld. To me, having the same CEO at both companies a nd money coming from the previous company is what I would consider an association. If any of my facts arw wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Also, to me, the rebate was just moved to an instant discount, if you make certain changes to the account within 181 days, Simplexity will charge the buyer $400 since you lose your commission. But I have a hard time believing that the commission per phone is really $400.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It is my understanding that Wirefly was owned by Inphonic prior to 2007. The CEO of Inphonic was Andy Zeinfeld. Inphonic was essentially dissolved around 2007 and a new company, Simplexity was started, with the assets from Inphonic. The first CEO of Simplexity was none other than Andy Zeinfeld. To me, having the same CEO at both companies a nd money coming from the previous company is what I would consider an association. If any of my facts arw wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Also, to me, the rebate was just moved to an instant discount, if you make certain changes to the account within 181 days, Simplexity will charge the buyer $400 since you lose your commission. But I have a hard time believing that the commission per phone is really $400.

I was debating on buying from Target or Newegg but that $400 charge scares me. I also called to get any information and they couldn't tell me when they will receive the phone or be able to ship it out. Im worried I pre-order from there and not receive it for a few weeks.

wirefly_kim

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

Wirefly has been under new ownership since December 2007, and throughout that time we have lived by our Customer Promise ? Straightforward pricing with no Rebates at prices hundreds lower than retail stores. Andy Zeinfeld was the CEO of Inphonic(which was a publicly traded company that filed bankruptcy), and he was the CEO for Simplexity, (when private investors created Simplexity and saving the brand of Wirefly) however they are not the same company, even with the association of Andy Zeinfeld.

The instant discount is not related to the rebate at all (when Inphonic owned Wirefly, they had an instant discount as well), and it is compensated through the commissions paid to us by the carrier. We work with the carriers to structure commissions that pay us in such a way to enable us to offer the phones for such a low price to our customers.

wirefly_kim

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I was debating on buying from Target or Newegg but that $400 charge scares me. I also called to get any information and they couldn't tell me when they will receive the phone or be able to ship it out. Im worried I pre-order from there and not receive it for a few weeks.

We cannot say when we will receive the phone, as the carrier has not confirmed launch day with us. We are aware that they have announced launch day is May 30, but we do not want to promise customers that date and have the carrier change the launch date. We are shipping the phone out to our customers on launch day.

As for the instant savings discount, you can read about it here on our website: Wirefly terms and conditions including our equipment discount policy Let me know if you have any questions about our purchase terms, I am happy to answer them for you.

fausto408

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Kim! Thanks for replying to our inquires. What would happen if the phone ordered through Wirefly came out to be defective? Would I be charged for deactivating a defective phone?