The Galaxy S4 "Google edition" and the Verizon Galaxy S4.......

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Obviously Verizon will not carry this phone but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel....

Will the existence of a "vanilla android" ROM for the S4 give the development community a jump start? I know very little about the ROM development process but I am hoping this is the case. What do you guys think?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
What's the point? You lose all of the features of the S4 like Airview and such.

Why not just buy a cheaper S3 and install a stock ROM?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I just think its more disappointing that Verizon doesn't get certain phones. Or gets certain phones late. Like offering the S4 later than everyone else. They haven't even stated if they will offer a 32gb version of the S4. If they get a version of the HTC One it will be later. They won't get the S4 Google edition.

Just disappointing that every other carrier gets phones and Verizon leaves them out.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Whats the point?

Why would i go with last years hardware? The S3 is has a significantly slower processor, smaller screen and battery (the extra batter may be a wash with the extra power and screen size).

The "features" you speak of will be the first thing I turn off. All I want is fast hardware and vanilla android on a Verizon phone. I know I'm not alone here......

-Kesnik

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have not listen to the entire podcast, but listen to the latest podcast from AC... they make some very good points about this device. A device and rom that does nothing with all the great features of this new device. Listen to it.

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I just think its more disappointing that Verizon doesn't get certain phones. Or gets certain phones late. Like offering the S4 later than everyone else. They haven't even stated if they will offer a 32gb version of the S4. If they get a version of the HTC One it will be later. They won't get the S4 Google edition.

Just disappointing that every other carrier gets phones and Verizon leaves them out.

They are busy stuffing it with VZ bloat

odd

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The google S4 is a great device for developers. This is what will help them continue to compete with iOS. The google s4 will be constantly updated so devs will always have the latest and greatest version of Android to test on. Google doesn't want to be in the hardware business so they partner with OEMs like Samsung and Asus to provide the tablets and phones so google can stay focused on Developing a great OS.

That being said I am not a developer, I am a consumer, and I will be perfectly fine with my Verizon S4. I am very excite, high five!

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I ran AOKP on my S3 and would like to do the same with the S4. I can't stand the stupid physical home button so with AOKP/CM I can use the virtual nav bar. Most of the touchwiz software features are gimicks that just slow the phone down. I would need support for the IR emitter on the S4 with AOKP/CM. Hopefully the open edition will give the developers a good start even for CDMA phones..

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Obviously Verizon will not carry this phone but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel....

Will the existence of a "vanilla android" ROM for the S4 give the development community a jump start? I know very little about the ROM development process but I am hoping this is the case. What do you guys think?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I actually think so, yes. Granted, you won't be able to just toss the same OS image on a Verizon phone, but it could potentially be great jumping-off point for AOSP devs working on the device. Having said that though, we'll just have to wait and see.

In a way I agree, but there are a few things to consider...

1) Verizon doesn't carry "Nexus" devices (yes, they had the GNex, but that appears to be an anomaly). Users on Verizon who want a "pure Android" experience need to either install an AOSP ROM onto another device (which can be a more frustrating experience than desired), or switch carriers (not always a desired option for many).

2) Even though you do lose the TW features that drive the marketing for the Galaxy S line of devices, AOSP ROMs are still quite popular amonst the rooted crowd. It is simply what some prefer. I am not one of those people, but I certainly understand their arguments.

Having a Google image of pure Android made specifically for the S4 may allow for some great AOSP ROMs for those that prefer to go that route. Granted, differences in hardware won't make it an exact fit (the radio will have to be modified, for one), but with any luck it does provide a platform to work off of, and make the AOSP experience less buggy and more refined than previous Verizon Galaxy S phones experienced.

They are busy stuffing it with VZ bloat

Realize this comment was made tongue-in-cheek, and yeah, folks like to bash Verizon for this practice (I'm one of them), but I cannot believe that it is the "bloatware" that causes the delays in release of updates/devices when it comes to VZW. I mean, we're really just talking about adding a few apps to the OS build, which should take very long at all. What does probably cause the delays is Verizon's own QA process and even possibly internal CS training. Folks hate the delays, including me, but I understand that Verizon, having as many customers as they do, want to mitigate any potential issues prior to release.

It's also possible that Samsung simply wasn't able to supply them with the CDMA phones in time to release at the same time as the GSM carriers -- Verizon can't sell what it doesn't have. That, however, is purely speculation on my part, I have no idea.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I ran AOKP on my S3 and would like to do the same with the S4. I can't stand the stupid physical home button so with AOKP/CM I can use the virtual nav bar. Most of the touchwiz software features are gimicks that just slow the phone down. I would need support for the IR emitter on the S4 with AOKP/CM. Hopefully the open edition will give the developers a good start even for CDMA phones..
I would say you are correct saying the some of those touchwiz features are gimmicks. I would rather have a non bloated phone with only what I use and if I need something else I can add it if the devs come up with it. I sure to like CM10.1 on my tablet and looking at putting it on my S3 and when/if I get an S4 I will do the same.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I would say you are correct saying the some of those touchwiz features are gimmicks. I would rather have a non bloated phone with only what I use and if I need something else I can add it if the devs come up with it. I sure to like CM10.1 on my tablet and looking at putting it on my S3 and when/if I get an S4 I will do the same.

Exactly. You can bet your house that there will be 3rd party apps for the remote control and other sensors. This is exactly why Android is so great.
I would love to see a true universal remote app that works like high-end remotes.... You can basically click and drag a generic button on the remote and program it any way you wish (think icon customization on your home screen... and you can change button collors+text+size). Then you can also have "folders" where every "folder" is a remote for a different device. You click on the folder and it opens up a remote for your kitchen stereo or living room receiver, etc. Obviously macros are a must. Ahhh, so many possibilities

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. You can bet your house that there will be 3rd party apps for the remote control and other sensors. This is exactly why Android is so great.
I would love to see a true universal remote app that works like high-end remotes.... You can basically click and drag a generic button on the remote and program it any way you wish (think icon customization on your home screen... and you can change button collors+text+size). Then you can also have "folders" where every "folder" is a remote for a different device. You click on the folder and it opens up a remote for your kitchen stereo or living room receiver, etc. Obviously macros are a must. Ahhh, so many possibilities

There is one already in the app store, it's $9.99 and called samsung remote or something just search ir remotes the developer seems great I emailed and he replied in 10 mins great reviews great remote, I use it on all my tvs, all my TiVo, my fan, ac, surround sounds and my xbox, def worth checking out

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't want to be in the hardware business so they partner with OEMs like Samsung and Asus to provide the tablets and phones so google can stay focused on Developing a great OS.

Perhaps you haven't heard that Google spent 12.5 billion on a company called Motorola...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89