Can someone explain the statement made in the first part of this about if the developer can develop the app so it can be installed on the SD if a statement is made in the app development but if no statement is made the app will default to the internal memory? May this is a very old web page I don't really know? Sorry guess I should include the link!

App Install Location | Android Developers
    05-16-2013 11:29 AM
    Can someone explain the statement made in the first part of this about if the developer can develop the app so it can be installed on the SD if a statement is made in the app development but if no statement is made the app will default to the internal memory? May this is a very old web page I don't really know? Sorry guess I should include the link!

App Install Location | Android Developers
    If i recall correct that was repeeled in API 15
    japetty likes this.
    05-16-2013 12:42 PM
    I think that's an old page. It reference Android 2.2 (and above). I suspect when it was written "above" meant 3.x. This capability was removed from Android in 4.x. For the S3, there is apparently a way to accomplish it on rooted devices. Maybe this will get ported to the S4 eventually.
    kca2000 and japetty like this.
    05-16-2013 12:43 PM
    Im not a pro on this subject but the article you supplied is talking about API level 8. (Froyo). Back then YES it was possible.

It started with either Gingerbread or ICS, Google stopped letting apps be installed on the SD card on a stock ROM. From what i hear there are Unrooted tricks and Rooted methods that will allow it to happen, But its not recommended as it can effect app performance.

So to answer your question, To the best of my knowledge, NO at this point you can not install apps and run them from the SD card without issues. Music/Photos/Videos should be fine though.
    japetty likes this.
    05-16-2013 12:49 PM
    I think that's an old page. It reference Android 2.2 (and above). I suspect when it was written "above" meant 3.x. This capability was removed from Android in 4.x. For the S3, there is apparently a way to accomplish it on rooted devices. Maybe this will get ported to the S4 eventually.
    Again thanks everyone for all your help. I just was not sure, I did suspect it was old.
    05-16-2013 01:23 PM
    Nice avatar, kca.

Did you take that shot? If so, at which race?
    05-16-2013 01:45 PM
    GRRR.... Now I understand why people are getting upset over the lack of space on the 16GB. I am upgrading from the Droid Charge which it is still possible to put part of the app on the SD. Some of the apps are really chunky now and was thankful for the ability to load onto the SD.
    05-16-2013 03:35 PM
    GRRR.... Now I understand why people are getting upset over the lack of space on the 16GB. I am upgrading from the Droid Charge which it is still possible to put part of the app on the SD. Some of the apps are really chunky now and was thankful for the ability to load onto the SD.
    I could even accept the no apps not on the SD if they would sell the S4 with 32gb but no and even if they decide to carry it later I would be happy. I just wish I could go to at&t but the last time I tried there was no luck and took it back before the 14 days was up. I know its a marketing thing with VZW because most people don't need more than 16gb and they will sell more of the 16gb over the more expensive 32gb.
    05-16-2013 07:01 PM
    I could even accept the no apps not on the SD if they would sell the S4 with 32gb but no and even if they decide to carry it later I would be happy. I just wish I could go to at&t but the last time I tried there was no luck and took it back before the 14 days was up. I know its a marketing thing with VZW because most people don't need more than 16gb and they will sell more of the 16gb over the more expensive 32gb.
    But that's just it....it really doesn't cost that much more to double the internal memory. There is only a fifty bone retail difference between the 16 and 32gb so you know Verizon could do it. Cheesy bastards better.
    05-16-2013 08:25 PM
    But that's just it....it really doesn't cost that much more to double the internal memory. There is only a fifty bone retail difference between the 16 and 32gb so you know Verizon could do it. Cheesy bastards better.
    $50.00 to you and others like you including myself is nothing but to those that only use it for talk, text and occasional web they will keep the $50.00 in their pocket and according to VZW marketing those are in the majority no matter what we think about it. I can live with my S3 for as long as it lets me. I am thinking about buying another of Ebay. I would like to put CyanogenMod on it as I have on my tablet 7.7 Samsung which VZW couldn't seem to update OTA to Android 4.0.4. I really like that on my tablet. I am just somewhat afraid I might screw it up and not have a phone for a while. Did not have any issue with my tablet but who know what could/will happen with my phone. I just need something I can activate/use while I figure it out. That is why I wanted an S4 32gb which I pay full price as I keep my unlimited data.
    05-16-2013 10:24 PM
    $50.00 to you and others like you including myself is nothing but to those that only use it for talk, text and occasional web they will keep the $50.00 in their pocket and according to VZW marketing those are in the majority no matter what we think about it. I can live with my S3 for as long as it lets me. I am thinking about buying another of Ebay. I would like to put CyanogenMod on it as I have on my tablet 7.7 Samsung which VZW couldn't seem to update OTA to Android 4.0.4. I really like that on my tablet. I am just somewhat afraid I might screw it up and not have a phone for a while. Did not have any issue with my tablet but who know what could/will happen with my phone. I just need something I can activate/use while I figure it out. That is why I wanted an S4 32gb which I pay full price as I keep my unlimited data.
    I pay full donkey for a device as well - but if you buy the 32gb, you're guaranteed to make your money back (the 50 bone difference) when (and if) you sell it when the Note 3 or S5 comes out.
    05-17-2013 05:57 AM
    I pay full donkey for a device as well - but if you buy the 32gb, you're guaranteed to make your money back (the 50 bone difference) when (and if) you sell it when the Note 3 or S5 comes out.
    I looked at at&t S4 32gb and it is already OOS on line but many at&t store have them available. Looks as though at&t is selling the hell out of their S4 32gb. $670.00 BTW. I read somewhere this AM that Samsung is thinking of releasing an update that will give more room on the S4 16gb than the 8 - 9 gb that is now has which has no affect on the way 1 feel about having a S4 32gb. Samsung backtracks on Galaxy S4 storage issues, hints at update to free up space | The Verge Also have you read this link?
    Confirmed: Verizon Galaxy S4 32GB Isn't Coming I don't really think this is true as they give no source for the statement and if you read down the comments they give you other answers as well.
    05-17-2013 12:59 PM
    I looked at at&t S4 32gb and it is already OOS on line but many at&t store have them available. Looks as though at&t is selling the hell out of their S4 32gb. $670.00 BTW. I read somewhere this AM that Samsung is thinking of releasing an update that will give more room on the S4 16gb than the 8 - 9 gb that is now has which has no affect on the way 1 feel about having a S4 32gb. Samsung backtracks on Galaxy S4 storage issues, hints at update to free up space | The Verge Also have you read this link?
    Confirmed: Verizon Galaxy S4 32GB Isn't Coming I don't really think this is true as they give no source for the statement and if you read down the comments they give you other answers as well.
    No, that guy (Gotta Be Mobile) is the only one to report this - at least I haven't seen anyone else do it. Nor has he revealed his "source" or how he was able to get this so called information when no one else has.
    05-17-2013 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD