Verizon upgrade: how early

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
On the Verizon account page, it lists an upgrade availability date of 6/24. Is there anyway to get it a few weeks early? I remember two years ago before I upgraded, the Radio Shack employee said you can do it one week ahead of your listed upgrade date. Anyone know if this is still true? Thanks.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
On the Verizon account page, it lists an upgrade availability date of 6/24. Is there anyway to get it a few weeks early? I remember two years ago before I upgraded, the Radio Shack employee said you can do it one week ahead of your listed upgrade date. Anyone know if this is still true? Thanks.

Call into customer Service and ask them... worst thing they say is no

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I remember reading an article early this year which said that they got rid of the early upgrade, but it doesn't hurt to check.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember reading an article early this year which said that they got rid of the early upgrade, but it doesn't hurt to check.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

It's still possible to do it seven days before the upgrade date.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
well, my friend just called and asked them to move up the upgrade date from maybe 3 weeks from now, so that his mom could get a new phone, and they gave him a whole bunch of stipulations like they had to buy it from a verizon store, and that they couldnt buy any of the galaxy phones, note 2, iphone 5, and some other phones. so ya. i was going to try to do the same thing. doesnt look like its gonna happen.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a phone that's just about ready to "crap out." I was keeping my fingers crossed that it would stay alive until my next upgrade which is July.....When the Samsung Galaxy S4 hit the market, I wanted to get one and I checked with Verizon about the cost to upgrade early. To my pleasant surprise, I was told that I could upgrade now, because even though my contract wasn't up until July, that I could upgrade at 20 months, rather than 24 months.....Needless to say, as soon as the S4 goes on sale at the store, I'll be upgrading.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Last year when I got my Gnex I used my mom's upgrade because I was a week early for my own part of the plan.

Because I still had a free upgrade, I was able to order the S4 this year at upgrade price no problem.

Moral of this story: have a family plan with the technologically slow moving and use their upgrade first because "feature" phones don't change much year to year.

Also, don't throw your phones at marble countertops.

Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I finally made it out to a Verizon store. Unfortunately, the 6/24 date is the earliest I could upgrade. Makes sense since it is about 18 months since my last phone upgrade.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Yup 7 days is it. Now I am having issues with my Razr Maxx and called customer support. The nice lady got me an early upgrade, so Saturday I should have my S4.

Redsox34

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it all depends on who you get on the other end of the phone.. I've had VZ customer reps tell me NO without letting me finish my question and I've had reps that let me upgrade 3 months early one time without a termination fee..

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it all depends on who you get on the other end of the phone.. I've had VZ customer reps tell me NO without letting me finish my question and I've had reps that let me upgrade 3 months early one time without a termination fee..

Yes, ultimately it depends on which rep you speak to.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
you can upgrade one week before your listed upgrade date. I was in a Verizon Premium reseller store on Saturday.

Hmmm, I guess I'll try again on 6/17 and maybe say the last time I came in they said I could get it a week before my upgrade date. Thanks for the tip.

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
My upgrade date was 6/27 and I call and spoke with a manager and asked if I could upgrade now and they said I could. So I was able to a month early.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
On a whim, I went to Verizonwireless.com and chatted with a CSR, asking about an early upgrade. She said to call the 800 number and ask them to do an account overview. I did, and after that CSR checked with their manager, they upgraded me that day (6/5)! My gf and I have had our shared account with Verizon for seven years so that might have helped. However, it could only be done over the phone (I had asked if I could just go to a Verizon store) because the manager at the call center provided the authorization. Anyway, my phone is coming on Monday (6/10).

TreeSpooner

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had a RAZR Maxx for the last year or so and have been having issues with it since the beginning. I had to have it replaced twice already due to issues with the battery life as well as the camera. My phone was updated to JB in April and since then the phone has become useless. It takes 5 seconds for apps to open and several minutes to complete a simple browser search. Often times the damn thing just freezes up.

My husband's line is due for an upgrade on Aug 22 of this year, so I decided to call Verizon (*611 from my phone) to see if they would give me an early upgrade to get the Galaxy S4. To my surprise, not only did I have success with the first customer service rep I spoke too, but she also upgraded MY line which wasn't due to upgrade until Feb 2014 and let my husband keep his upgrade! I was shocked to say the least since I had done my research prior to calling and most threads said to be prepared to be on the phone for HOURS and have to speak with multiple reps and supervisors. The whole process took me all of 15 minutes. They shipped my phone the next day and I should be receiving it on Monday!

So I don't know if my experience was just a fluke, or if it helped that I have been having documented issues with my current phone, but I'm quite pleased with the outcome. If you do decide to call in I just recommend having a good attitude and be very honest about why you would like the early upgrade. If it doesn't work out with one rep, then it doesn't hurt to try again with another, or ask to speak to their supervisor. The trick is to get them to WANT to help you. I've also heard that it is almost impossible to get an early upgrade at an actual brick and mortar store and that the only way is by calling in. With their 2-day shipping you will have your new phone in no time at all.

Timothy Farrell

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is possible! I Upgrade to the S4 a month and a half early. My upgrade was not till June 25. You have to talk to the right person at CS. It took me 3 days till I finally got somebody. And yes Verizon still does offer the $30 upgrade fee so do not let them tell you that they don't offer it thats Bull! My suggestion is call first thing in the morning like I did and just be very polite and don't give them attitude. Just keep trying and maybe you will have a new phone by the end of the week! Good Luck!

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have had a RAZR Maxx for the last year or so and have been having issues with it since the beginning. I had to have it replaced twice already due to issues with the battery life as well as the camera. My phone was updated to JB in April and since then the phone has become useless. It takes 5 seconds for apps to open and several minutes to complete a simple browser search. Often times the damn thing just freezes up.

My husband's line is due for an upgrade on Aug 22 of this year, so I decided to call Verizon (*611 from my phone) to see if they would give me an early upgrade to get the Galaxy S4. To my surprise, not only did I have success with the first customer service rep I spoke too, but she also upgraded MY line which wasn't due to upgrade until Feb 2014 and let my husband keep his upgrade! I was shocked to say the least since I had done my research prior to calling and most threads said to be prepared to be on the phone for HOURS and have to speak with multiple reps and supervisors. The whole process took me all of 15 minutes. They shipped my phone the next day and I should be receiving it on Monday!

So I don't know if my experience was just a fluke, or if it helped that I have been having documented issues with my current phone, but I'm quite pleased with the outcome. If you do decide to call in I just recommend having a good attitude and be very honest about why you would like the early upgrade. If it doesn't work out with one rep, then it doesn't hurt to try again with another, or ask to speak to their supervisor. The trick is to get them to WANT to help you. I've also heard that it is almost impossible to get an early upgrade at an actual brick and mortar store and that the only way is by calling in. With their 2-day shipping you will have your new phone in no time at all.

Your experience may be a fluke. I had a Galaxy Nexus which has documented issues in the Verizon tech department. They swapped my sim card, then swapped the whole phone, nothing helped the radio issues. They refused to let me upgrade even if I paid for it. They offered me an iphone 4 for $400. They also offered me a blackberry bold. I told then no on both accounts.

Walked into a brick and mortar yesterday and upgraded to the S4. My contract is up in may of 2014. Paid the upgrade price like it wasnt an issue at all. Took 20 minutes. Weird.

ca4oline

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Monkeyzero, what do you mean when you say "upgrade price?" My last upgrade (a little over a year ago) was my final new-every-two discount so I don't know the fees now. But I definitely am interested in the S4 as my Droid 4 (this is my second one) is a real piece. Congrats on your success getting a new phone!;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae