Just curious to know how many are paying full price and why (not eligible for an upgrade, keep unlimited data) as opposed to paying the cheaper upgrade price with a new contract.
    JoeyyNY likes this.
    05-17-2013 01:13 PM
    I've got a GS3 with unlimited data. Honestly, the Google edition of the GS4 is making me think I need to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile and pay full price for the Google edition. Wasn't planning on upgrading from my GS3 at all, much less leaving Verizon.
    05-17-2013 01:18 PM
    I've got a GS3 with unlimited data. Honestly, the Google edition of the GS4 is making me think I need to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile and pay full price for the Google edition. Wasn't planning on upgrading from my GS3 at all, much less leaving Verizon.
    What is the different between the regular S4 and the Google edition?
    05-17-2013 01:23 PM
    Paying full price as I just started on verizon at the end of last year so i'm not eligible for an upgrade and it's too expensive at this point to jump carriers. If I was anywhere near the end of my contract I would have jumped to AT&T for the google version of the S4. I have a Note 2 but after several months of use it is just too big for me to comfortably use on a daily basis. After the honeymoon period was over (about 2 months) I realized it was just too big and at that point it was too late to take it back. Planning on selling the Note 2 to offset the full price purchase of the S4.

- - - Updated - - -

Google edition is straight up stock Android 4.2.2 with no samsung touchwiz ui.
    Joe378 likes this.
    05-17-2013 01:25 PM
    I think it's crazy that people will leave carriers for a phone. Verizons LTE and coverage is 2nd too none and that to me is the most important.

Posted via Android Central App
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-18-2013 01:52 AM
    Well I'm not above leaving for a phone. But got my brother in law to give me his upgrade. But I would also pay full price for a phone and have done it plenty of times.
    05-18-2013 02:16 AM
    I think it's crazy that people will leave carriers for a phone. Verizons LTE and coverage is 2nd too none and that to me is the most important.

Very good coverage for a very bad price.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    GKWANNABE likes this.
    05-18-2013 02:30 AM

And Verizon is the most expensive.
    GKWANNABE likes this.
    05-18-2013 12:44 PM
    And Verizon is the most expensive.
    I always thought AT&T was worse honestly. They take theirs without any lube lmao

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    05-18-2013 12:47 PM

T-Mob has identical - if not better - coverage where I'm at, including the surrounding area. Weird, (I know) but true. If it wouldn't take me 2 years to recoup the ETF in lower prices through T-Mob, I'd jump ship tomorrow. Screw Verizon and their overrated service for much higher prices. AT&T is the same pricing if not a little higher though.
    benhaw likes this.
    05-18-2013 12:52 PM
    I lived through AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint before moving to Verizon a few years ago... luckily I get a corp discount from my company.

I'm buying the S4 at full price to keep my unlimited plan. To me it's planning ahead... I knew this was happening over the last year and I have been saving to pay for this. I'll be in the store on Thursday and picking up the 16G, but hoping to hear about the 32G version on Wednesday at CTIA.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-18-2013 01:08 PM

Maybe where I am and where I frequent 2 or 3 carriers have what I feel is adequate service for me. Why would I want to stay with a carrier who did not have the handset I wanted or the prices I wanted? Some areas and there are many where VZW coverage is not always second to none or coverage is equal. Service on other carriers is getting better day by day. I am paying full price for the S4 32gb when/if VZW gets it. I am also considering the HTC one 64gb if they get that in addition to the HTC one 32gb the one huge downside to that phone is no sd slot which I don't think I can live without. Everything Moto has is 32gb sd not 64gb sd but according to what free space they have on the 32gb internal memory will tell me. I will be paying full price for the phone I decide on which could very well be a second S3 with 32gb off ebay. I need a backup phone to keep stock while I mod the other with a ROM I have on my i815 7.7 tablet which I like the user experience I see and would like that same one on a phone.
    lovemyspanish likes this.
    05-18-2013 01:19 PM
    Very good coverage for a very bad price.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    You get what you pay for and if good/excellent service is what you want and there are many that do they pay for it.
    05-18-2013 01:57 PM
    I always thought AT&T was worse honestly. They take theirs without any lube lmao

I never really had bad service from at&t but my experience from at&t was years ago before they stopped the TDMA service and started with the GSM but the billing was very, very, very bad. They seem to never get it right. I also had that same billing experience from them when I had one of their landline dsl and the billing had not changed a bit so I cancelled the service and went with the cable company.
    05-18-2013 02:02 PM
    I never really had bad service from at&t but my experience from at&t was years ago before they stopped the TDMA service and started with the GSM but the billing was very, very, very bad. They seem to never get it right. I also had that same billing experience from them when I had one of their landline dsl and the billing had not changed a bit so I cancelled the service and went with the cable company.
    LOL... personally, and family plan wise, I have never seen so many dropped calls from cell phone provider as I did with AT&T. That was enough in a major metro area to make me drop AT&T after only ONE two year contract... never looked back and never wanted to go back, AND NEVER will go back.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-18-2013 03:13 PM

We don't even get the common courtesy of a reach around!!!
    GKWANNABE and MBM7881 like this.
    05-18-2013 07:12 PM
    Paying full price because of my treasured unlimited data. I know a lot of people say they live off of Wifi but I have the amazing talent of sucking up data in between Wifi spots. I work in a hospital and sometimes different facilities, and Verizon is the only carrier that can penetrate to every floor. What's $699 when you have to pay almost triple digits a month to get some decent data plan?
    05-18-2013 10:54 PM
    Paying full price because of my treasured unlimited data. I know a lot of people say they live off of Wifi but I have the amazing talent of sucking up data in between Wifi spots. I work in a hospital and sometimes different facilities, and Verizon is the only carrier that can penetrate to every floor. What's $699 when you have to pay almost triple digits a month to get some decent data plan?
    I am the same way. Only place I routinely go that has good wifi, or wifi at all, is my house.

People live off of Wifi because they have limited data plans ;-)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    05-19-2013 10:01 AM
    We don't even get the common courtesy of a reach around!!!
    LMAOOOOOOOO

05-19-2013 10:16 AM
    I paid full price to keep my unlimited data and would do it again if google gs4 were available on vzw.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    05-19-2013 11:10 AM
    LOL... personally, and family plan wise, I have never seen so many dropped calls from cell phone provider as I did with AT&T. That was enough in a major metro area to make me drop AT&T after only ONE two year contract... never looked back and never wanted to go back, AND NEVER will go back.
    I have heard with their GSM service this is true. I can't say about at&t GSM, the at&t service I had was years ago and when I changed as at&t didn't like me roaming on other carriers so much I changed my service to GTE and never had bad service with them.
    05-19-2013 11:37 AM
    I have heard with their GSM service this is true. I can't say about at&t GSM, the at&t service I had was years ago and when I changed as at&t didn't like me roaming on other carriers so much I changed my service to GTE and never had bad service with them.
    Good for you... but if my family can not make phone calls using a cell phone company then they lost my business and I will never make a recommendation to use them ever again... and that is just the basics that a cell phone company needs to do now a day. I guess I shouldn't even try to talk about how bad the service is outside of a large metro area.
    05-19-2013 12:22 PM
    I think the AT&T and T-Mobile S4 phones are not fully interchangeable. But, the Google S4 will work fully on either carrier.

In other words, the Google S4 has all the radio frequencies to do LTE, HSPA+, etc on either carrier. But, I think the AT&T version does not have all the radio frequencies to work fully on T-Mobile, and vice versa.
    05-20-2013 03:32 PM
    I think the AT&T and T-Mobile S4 phones are not fully interchangeable. But, the Google S4 will work fully on either carrier.

In other words, the Google S4 has all the radio frequencies to do LTE, HSPA+, etc on either carrier. But, I think the AT&T version does not have all the radio frequencies to work fully on T-Mobile, and vice versa.
    No, they're the same hardware. AT&T just has a software lock on some of the radio connections to keep you tied to their network.

Just like on the Note 2 (or S3!), you should be able to get around this by flashing T-Mo firmware (including the radio) to the AT&T model... or would be abe to if the bootloader weren't locked. There's possibly also a service menu workaround.

Both the Google and the T-Mo version have all the bands enabled for HSPA and LTE on both US carriers.

Incidentally, the Verizon model has the band for T-Mo LTE (AWS), because that's what Verizon's next LTE build-out will be on. So if/when T-Mo rolls out LTE and refarms 1900 to 3G in your area (the two go together), you should be able to use the Verizon S4 pretty much without limitation on T-Mo.

Translation: if Verizon ever takes away my unlimited LTE, I'm taking my S4 to T-Mobile.
    05-20-2013 04:30 PM

Yes AT&T tmobile S4 are the same. Would cost Samsung more to manufacture separate phones for each carrier unless they HAVE to....like verizon. But everything else being the same except the inside also saves on manufacturing costs. The carriers are the ones that lock the phones to their frequencies....towers. My HTC rezound is GSM capable but not unlocked to work on tmobile or att
    05-20-2013 08:15 PM