"Future delivery requested"

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if y'all noticed it on your FedEx shipping status, but mine indicates "Future delivery requested" under the "Picked up" activity entry.
My overall estimated delivery is still Tuesday 5/21.

Is it possible that the "Future delivery requested" indicates to FedEx to sit on the package until Thursday? The "Estimated Delivery" date is probably just calculated based on their standard metrics and doesn't account for the "Future delivery requested" status.

Otherwise, what's the point of the "Future delivery requested"? Why would VZW set a Future delivery requested of Tuesday? That's when the 2nd shipment would arrive anyway.

I'm calling that most of the phones get delivered on Thursday except for some that slip through the FedEx net somehow.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect, the phones were sitting at Fed ex for awhile, That's why they say that. Whenever Fed ex receives packages, but aren't going out right away, it's considered Future date requested. The date shown for delivery is correct.

For example, My package Is already in transit, if they were to be held, packages wouldn't be in transit.

Posted via Android Central App

Jfazyankees13

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Incorrect, the phones were sitting at Fed ex for awhile, That's why they say that. Whenever Fed ex receives packages, but aren't going out right away, it's considered Future date requested. The date shown for delivery is correct.

For example, My package Is already in transit, if they were to be held, packages wouldn't be in transit.

This makes way more sense than what I was thinking!

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks this puts my mind at ease. I've had that statement on packages I've ordered before but never paid attention to it until now. I've always relied on the delivery date shown and they've always delivered on the date specified. I'm glad to know that that is the case :D:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

How could the phones be sitting at Fed Ex for a while when they were just shipped out Friday night / Saturday morning ?
Just hope we all get them on Tuesday/Wednesday or no pee-pee dance. :D

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How could the phones be sitting at Fed Ex for a while when they were just shipped out Friday night / Saturday morning ?
Just hope we all get them on Tuesday/Wednesday or no pee-pee dance. :D

It's complicated logistics. Verizon receives shipment, probably directly to FedEx, FedEx boxes 'em and ships them.

No one wants to pay to have huge warehouses. They would rather receive shipment and then distribute.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and Fed ex wouldn't give you a delivery date if it wasn't going to meet them. Think of it this way, If your tracking # is 5/21/13, do you know how many people are making sure they are home, calling off work or making arrangements so they can sign? If this happened, Fed ex/Verizon would have thousands calling complaining that they were mislead and then they would have to be compensated. If the phones were supposed to be held for a delivery of 5/23, then the tracking would say delivery on 5/23, not 5/21, 5/22.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the above answer is accurate, either. Mine says that, and says it shipped from Memphis yesterday and is due for delivery on wednesday. I'm only 3 hours away in Nashville. There is no possible way it honestly takes them that long to get a small box three hours up the road. I am willing to be that the "future delivery requested" means that Fedex has been instructed to hold the package and not deliver it until Wednesday.

FrankP999

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am in Georgia and the fedex delivery date is Wed. There's no way it should take 3 days from Memphis to Ga. However, at the bottom of the fedex tracking page, it lists "special Instructions" which says "Deliver Wednesday." I am guessing that is what "Future Delivery" means.

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and Fed ex wouldn't give you a delivery date if it wasn't going to meet them. Think of it this way, If your tracking # is 5/21/13, do you know how many people are making sure they are home, calling off work or making arrangements so they can sign? If this happened, Fed ex/Verizon would have thousands calling complaining that they were mislead and then they would have to be compensated. If the phones were supposed to be held for a delivery of 5/23, then the tracking would say delivery on 5/23, not 5/21, 5/22.

Two points:
1) That's why it says "estimated" delivery date. So when they don't meet it, you can't say squat.
2) I'll bet FedEx internal logistics S/W is extremely complex. This type of scenario might not be accounted for. Some people will complain when they are disappointed by the missed date.

Jfazyankees13

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Then why would it say "Future delivery requested" at the bottom underneath "Picked up"? If they are being instructed to hold the packages until 5/23 it should say it near the top. Joe the Insider's answer above makes a whole lot of sense

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the above answer is accurate, either. Mine says that, and says it shipped from Memphis yesterday and is due for delivery on wednesday. I'm only 3 hours away in Nashville. There is no possible way it honestly takes them that long to get a small box three hours up the road. I am willing to be that the "future delivery requested" means that Fedex has been instructed to hold the package and not deliver it until Wednesday.

This is correct. The carriers did this with the iPhone as well. The carriers begin to ship the packages and instruct the delivery company's to hold the package and not deliver until a certain date.

That way Verizon can better handle the large amount of orders and get them all out in time. Now it's up to FedEx to either hold them as requested or ship them. With the iPhone 5 some FedEx locations delivered then early while done held them until the request delivery date.

Jfazyankees13

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is correct. The carriers did this with the iPhone as well. The carriers begin to ship the packages and instruct the delivery company's to hold the package and not deliver until a certain date.

That way Verizon can better handle the large amount of orders and get them all out in time. Now it's up to FedEx to either hold them as requested or ship them. With the iPhone 5 some FedEx locations delivered then early while done held them until the request delivery date.
So you're saying the estimated delivery dates are the dates requested by Verizon and are accurate?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes. Correct. You may get it sooner if FedEx delivers early on their own accord but they are supposed to deliver them as requested by Verizon.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Some additional items to consider that support the devices have shipped and the tracking date is accurate:

1.) Why would Verizon Marked them shipped with tracking numbers if the numbers were going to have incorrect information? How would we have known the device was shipped if they didn't update their order status and/or send us an e-mail? If it was wrong or delayed, they would have held it back.
2.) Verizon Wireless will get some press for beating customers expectations. People will rejoice about getting their S4 early, even earlier than Verizon revised. That's good PR. They wouldn't damage that by communicating wrong dates.
3.) People need to sign for these expensive devices. Many people would have to make special arrangements.
4.) FedEx wouldn't want their brand damaged by displaying incorrect dates. Would you trust FedEx.com again if it was wrong?
5.) Customer complaints for both VZW and FedEx would be high if the dates slip and it was not clearly communicated. VZW clearly passes that buck to FedEx (or whomever the shipper is) as soon as they send that e-mail with the tracking number.
6.) Other pre-order items I have personally received always show accurate delivery dates. UPS and FedEx show accurate dates.
7.) They charged your card. They have to post that transaction before the hold falls off. If they authorized early then try and post after the hold falls off, they assume the risk if you've blown that money on something else. That results in financial losses for Verizon. You got your phone :)

To the folks who can't understand why they live an hour away and it's taking 2 or 3 days:

The number of days it takes is "2 business days". For those of us getting it on the 21st, we're actually getting next day since the first business day is Monday. For the rest of you, you're getting it 2 days. Verizon probably purchases shipping for a flat rate. FedEx makes money by positioning shipments to expedite delivery for the least amount of effort. So, VZW pays for 2 days for you and your an hour away? Sucks to be you but that makes sense because they are probably paying the same amount for that customer in Seattle, Washington or Brownsville, TX.

We also don't understand if VZW purposefully staggering device deliveries. Logic would tell me they are. Think of all the calls their call centers are going to get from people. You want to wait on hold for an hour because every phone was delivered on the same day? I don't. So, they probably split it up. How they did it is probably known only to them.

Anyway, just my thoughts. An interesting thought exercise.

The Deceiver.

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. Had this happen with my iPad pre-order as well.

I think that if you get your phone on Tuesday it will be a FedEx screwup.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Spot on!!

Jfazyankees13

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Had this happen with my iPad pre-order as well.

I think that if you get your phone on Tuesday it will be a FedEx screwup.
That's not exactly the case. My estimated delivery date, along with that of many others, is Tuesday. Now if anyone gets it tomorrow, then it's a screwup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc