05-22-2013 06:50 PM
143 12345 ...
tools
    That is simply not going to happen. Google tried working with Verizon with the Galaxy Nexus, but delays in updates infuriated users (and probably Google as well)...until Verizon allows *Google* to control the updates, I seriously doubt Verizon gets any more Nexus devices. Verizon was probably forced to make this concession for Apple since the iPhone is such a huge seller, but as long as the Galaxy S line and other non-nexus Android phones continue to sell, they don't really have incentive to cave into Google the same way.

Not necessarily stating fact, just my opinion.
    And that makes complete sense..... shame too.
    05-22-2013 10:43 AM
    Same. I'll be pissed if it's the HTC One. I'm done w/ HTC phones dying on me before a year (happened twice). I want a new phone... I want a stock Android phone on this carrier that won't cost a ton of money. I was hoping it would be a Nexus 4 w/ maybe some minor hardware improvements.
    If rumors are true, Motorola might deliver their X phone as a close to pure Android experience... but again, this is only a rumor since we have not seen this new X phone.
    05-22-2013 10:59 AM
    I've posted this on other threads, but it may be worth repeating. VZW Corporate needs to hear from customers if there is any hope of affecting policy. Particularly from customers who have left VZW for another carrier and customers who are out of contract (and ready to switch).

You may initiate contact via their website

Leadership | Verizon Wireless | Verizon Wireless

Pick an executive, click "view profile", and look for the "contact" link at the end of the bio. I usually submit handset and service plan feedback to the Marketing division. You can reach Tami Erwin's office (Chief Marketing Officer) here

05-22-2013 11:09 AM
    Interesting how many top HTC executives have left recently. My take - if Verizon doesn't carry HTC's flagship phone, regardless of the reason, HTC may have one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel. As much as I like the HTC One, the availability of long range support concerns me with a company that seems to be imploding.
    05-22-2013 11:44 AM
    So was there an announcement?
    05-22-2013 11:48 AM
    In about two hours
    05-22-2013 11:59 AM
    if it's only 16GB I'll be buying an S4. 16GB is the reason I wouldn't even consider the DNA even though it was a great looking phone and performed well.
    05-22-2013 12:12 PM
    Verizon tweeted the announcement is scheduled for 2:15pm EDT.
    05-22-2013 12:18 PM
    I think they will announce the HTC One and they will announce the end of 2 year contracts.
    05-22-2013 12:22 PM
    As much as I like nearly everything about the One, it will be tough to decide between it and a S4 with a Google Edition ROM.
    05-22-2013 12:38 PM
    I've posted this on other threads, but it may be worth repeating. VZW Corporate needs to hear from customers if there is any hope of affecting policy. Particularly from customers who have left VZW for another carrier and customers who are out of contract (and ready to switch).

You may initiate contact via their website

Leadership | Verizon Wireless | Verizon Wireless

Pick an executive, click "view profile", and look for the "contact" link at the end of the bio. I usually submit handset and service plan feedback to the Marketing division. You can reach Tami Erwin's office (Chief Marketing Officer) here

How many people do YOU actually intend to reach with this message???

I'm not trying to necessarily disagree with you, or side with Verizon, but the truth is that with each policy change Verizon makes, they already know it will drive some customers away. I assure they do a ton of market research to determine the factor of potential money earned by making the change vs. money lost due to potential customer fallout. When you have the gigantic customer base Verizon does, you can afford to drive some customers away if it means increasing overall profits. (and let's face it, the customers they drive away are usually the ones eating the biggest slices of the pie). You can call and complain all you want, but unless you have a couple hundred thousand friends who will join you, your complaints will probably fall on deaf ears. I'm sure they'll be polite about it, but in the end they aren't going lose any sleep over losing you as a customer either.
    paul-c likes this.
    05-22-2013 12:43 PM
    I think they will announce the HTC One and they will announce the end of 2 year contracts.
    With all of HTC's problems (and there have been even more the day or two) I'm not sure I even want an HTC phone anymore, even if Verizon was to carry it.

Personally, I don't think they will announce anything from HTC with the S4 being released tomorrow... but I could be wrong.
    05-22-2013 12:52 PM
    With all of HTC's problems (and there have been even more the day or two) I'm not sure I even want an HTC phone anymore, even if Verizon was to carry it.

Personally, I don't think they will announce anything from HTC with the S4 being released tomorrow... but I could be wrong.
    They've been planning this announcement for some time...if it is the HTC release that many believe it is, then yeah, that's bad timing!
    fatboy97 likes this.
    05-22-2013 12:54 PM
    Speaking of the One, HTC confuses me since if you are hungry to sell as MANY devices as you can, why constrain sales by not offering an sd slot? That has obviously hurt the One and DNA. Even Verizon folks say the number one reason people did not get the DNA was a lack of a SD slot. Heck, the China version of the One has a sd slot...... Wonder if a Verizon version would have a sd slot? Nah.

I get (though not like) that Verizon with their already growing install base is not offering a 32GB S4 so they can sell the 16 at a higher price point and now worry about selling less overall units. HTC though does not have that luxury by any stretch.
    05-22-2013 12:59 PM
    Yeah, I think that would be pretty obvious to just about everyone. Yet I still encourage subscribers to contact VZW. The alternative I suppose is to sit on your hands and accept that as consumers we are powerless against large corporations. You're welcome to do that. I would suggest that this kind of attitude is itself unproductive. Maybe a few people send feedback (constructive criticisms not "complaints" for those that are capable of engaging in discourse at that level). The alternative is that VZW hears nothing.

I suppose the other aspect of it is that forum members have opinions. In some cases very strong opinions, and they are not aware of the options to express those opinions to VZW management.

How many people do YOU actually intend to reach with this message???

I'm not trying to necessarily disagree with you, or side with Verizon, but the truth is that with each policy change Verizon makes, they already know it will drive some customers away. I assure they do a ton of market research to determine the factor of potential money earned by making the change vs. money lost due to potential customer fallout. When you have the gigantic customer base Verizon does, you can afford to drive some customers away if it means increasing overall profits. (and let's face it, the customers they drive away are usually the ones eating the biggest slices of the pie). You can call and complain all you want, but unless you have a couple hundred thousand friends who will join you, your complaints will probably fall on deaf ears. I'm sure they'll be polite about it, but in the end they aren't going lose any sleep over losing you as a customer either.
    05-22-2013 01:08 PM
    Speaking of the One, HTC confuses me since if you are hungry to sell as MANY devices as you can, why constrain sales by not offering an sd slot? That has obviously hurt the One and DNA. Even Verizon folks say the number one reason people did not get the DNA was a lack of a SD slot. Heck, the China version of the One has a sd slot...... Wonder if a Verizon version would have a sd slot? Nah.

I get (though not like) that Verizon with their already growing install base is not offering a 32GB S4 so they can sell the 16 at a higher price point and now worry about selling less overall units. HTC though does not have that luxury by any stretch.
    The addition of an sd slot in Chinese models has a lot to do with the fact that they normally only use one device per household. They don't have a home phone and each family member has a cell phone like most American families.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    05-22-2013 01:08 PM
    The point is though they DO have one and would have helped sales Perhaps a slim 1% chance a VZW has one as well. 0.5%??
    05-22-2013 01:11 PM

Some don't think much of the sd slot but I like it and I like it with the 64gb. I also like the 32 - 64 gb internal storage space. I don't mind the extra price. It would not be that much more anyway. HTC company though though worries me with all those top manager leaving seem to be like rats leaving a sinking ship.
    05-22-2013 01:18 PM
    The point is though they DO have one Perhaps a slim 1% chance a VZW has one as well. 0.5%??
    That's because its not as in high demand in the American market. Yes, people will complain about not having one. But with technology increasing, we have the abilitity now for 32gb, 64gb+ phones. Sd cards are becoming less of a standard. Even Google has removed support of app transfer to SD.

05-22-2013 01:22 PM
    Google got rid of it because they did not like it in the first place. It only existed because early Android devices had tiny storage due to Apple buyers securing most flash allocations for the iPhone.

Since Verizon essentially is not offering large internal storage devices and pushed the DNA which does not have either much storage, or a sd slot- probably more to do with testing/piloting a cloud storage strategy than anything else.

The lack of an sd card constrained sales of the DNA, Nexus and One. This is per consumer surveys. Having an economics background, I am always intrigued by product design decisions that inherently constrain sales. My own company is guilty of it sometimes and usually down to making decisions in a bubble, or testing/piloting a new strategy.
    05-22-2013 01:42 PM
    Yeah, I think that would be pretty obvious to just about everyone. Yet I still encourage subscribers to contact VZW. The alternative I suppose is to sit on your hands and accept that as consumers we are powerless against large corporations. You're welcome to do that. I would suggest that this kind of attitude is itself unproductive. Maybe a few people send feedback (constructive criticisms not "complaints" for those that are capable of engaging in discourse at that level). The alternative is that VZW hears nothing.

I suppose the other aspect of it is that forum members have opinions. In some cases very strong opinions, and they are not aware of the options to express those opinions to VZW management.
    Believe me, I agree with you on that...it's sad actually when you come to the realization that a company *doesn't* value your loyalty as customer, because they've grown so large and you essentially just become a number.

I guess my point was that it's one thing to voice your opinion, but another to actually expect an unlikely response. I almost have to chuckle when I see posts like, "Well, I'll show them! If they don't let me keep my unlimited data I'll just tell them that this customer of 12 years is leaving!!!". Realize that wasn't the tone of your post, but none the less, I always image the CS rep on the other end just being like, "well, I'm sorry here that, enjoy getting your calls dropped on AT&T or having no reception on Sprint!"

Since I'm not really into games, I'm fine with a 16GB phone...but only if I have SD Card support.
    05-22-2013 02:02 PM
    Watch it live here:

CTIA2013 on Livestream
    kilofoxtrot and Parafly like this.
    05-22-2013 02:14 PM
    Watch it live here:

CTIA2013 on Livestream
    This can't be it. Spanish partnership?
    05-22-2013 02:19 PM
    are they serious? this is worth a big announcement? and J Lo?!
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    05-22-2013 02:22 PM
    are they serious? this is worth a big announcement? and J Lo?!
    They better have something more for us lmao

mattskent likes this.
    05-22-2013 02:22 PM
143 12345 ...