Verizon's May 22nd Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've posted this on other threads, but it may be worth repeating. VZW Corporate needs to hear from customers if there is any hope of affecting policy. Particularly from customers who have left VZW for another carrier and customers who are out of contract (and ready to switch).

You may initiate contact via their website

Leadership | Verizon Wireless | Verizon Wireless

Pick an executive, click "view profile", and look for the "contact" link at the end of the bio. I usually submit handset and service plan feedback to the Marketing division. You can reach Tami Erwin's office (Chief Marketing Officer) here

How many people do YOU actually intend to reach with this message???

I'm not trying to necessarily disagree with you, or side with Verizon, but the truth is that with each policy change Verizon makes, they already know it will drive some customers away. I assure they do a ton of market research to determine the factor of potential money earned by making the change vs. money lost due to potential customer fallout. When you have the gigantic customer base Verizon does, you can afford to drive some customers away if it means increasing overall profits. (and let's face it, the customers they drive away are usually the ones eating the biggest slices of the pie). You can call and complain all you want, but unless you have a couple hundred thousand friends who will join you, your complaints will probably fall on deaf ears. I'm sure they'll be polite about it, but in the end they aren't going lose any sleep over losing you as a customer either.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I think they will announce the HTC One and they will announce the end of 2 year contracts.

With all of HTC's problems (and there have been even more the day or two) I'm not sure I even want an HTC phone anymore, even if Verizon was to carry it.

Personally, I don't think they will announce anything from HTC with the S4 being released tomorrow... but I could be wrong.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
With all of HTC's problems (and there have been even more the day or two) I'm not sure I even want an HTC phone anymore, even if Verizon was to carry it.

Personally, I don't think they will announce anything from HTC with the S4 being released tomorrow... but I could be wrong.

They've been planning this announcement for some time...if it is the HTC release that many believe it is, then yeah, that's bad timing!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of the One, HTC confuses me since if you are hungry to sell as MANY devices as you can, why constrain sales by not offering an sd slot? That has obviously hurt the One and DNA. Even Verizon folks say the number one reason people did not get the DNA was a lack of a SD slot. Heck, the China version of the One has a sd slot...... Wonder if a Verizon version would have a sd slot? Nah.

I get (though not like) that Verizon with their already growing install base is not offering a 32GB S4 so they can sell the 16 at a higher price point and now worry about selling less overall units. HTC though does not have that luxury by any stretch.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think that would be pretty obvious to just about everyone. Yet I still encourage subscribers to contact VZW. The alternative I suppose is to sit on your hands and accept that as consumers we are powerless against large corporations. You're welcome to do that. I would suggest that this kind of attitude is itself unproductive. Maybe a few people send feedback (constructive criticisms not "complaints" for those that are capable of engaging in discourse at that level). The alternative is that VZW hears nothing.

I suppose the other aspect of it is that forum members have opinions. In some cases very strong opinions, and they are not aware of the options to express those opinions to VZW management.

How many people do YOU actually intend to reach with this message???

I'm not trying to necessarily disagree with you, or side with Verizon, but the truth is that with each policy change Verizon makes, they already know it will drive some customers away. I assure they do a ton of market research to determine the factor of potential money earned by making the change vs. money lost due to potential customer fallout. When you have the gigantic customer base Verizon does, you can afford to drive some customers away if it means increasing overall profits. (and let's face it, the customers they drive away are usually the ones eating the biggest slices of the pie). You can call and complain all you want, but unless you have a couple hundred thousand friends who will join you, your complaints will probably fall on deaf ears. I'm sure they'll be polite about it, but in the end they aren't going lose any sleep over losing you as a customer either.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of the One, HTC confuses me since if you are hungry to sell as MANY devices as you can, why constrain sales by not offering an sd slot? That has obviously hurt the One and DNA. Even Verizon folks say the number one reason people did not get the DNA was a lack of a SD slot. Heck, the China version of the One has a sd slot...... Wonder if a Verizon version would have a sd slot? Nah.

I get (though not like) that Verizon with their already growing install base is not offering a 32GB S4 so they can sell the 16 at a higher price point and now worry about selling less overall units. HTC though does not have that luxury by any stretch.

The addition of an sd slot in Chinese models has a lot to do with the fact that they normally only use one device per household. They don't have a home phone and each family member has a cell phone like most American families.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Some don't think much of the sd slot but I like it and I like it with the 64gb. I also like the 32 - 64 gb internal storage space. I don't mind the extra price. It would not be that much more anyway. HTC company though though worries me with all those top manager leaving seem to be like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The point is though they DO have one ;) Perhaps a slim 1% chance a VZW has one as well. 0.5%??

That's because its not as in high demand in the American market. Yes, people will complain about not having one. But with technology increasing, we have the abilitity now for 32gb, 64gb+ phones. Sd cards are becoming less of a standard. Even Google has removed support of app transfer to SD.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Google got rid of it because they did not like it in the first place. It only existed because early Android devices had tiny storage due to Apple buyers securing most flash allocations for the iPhone.

Since Verizon essentially is not offering large internal storage devices and pushed the DNA which does not have either much storage, or a sd slot- probably more to do with testing/piloting a cloud storage strategy than anything else.

The lack of an sd card constrained sales of the DNA, Nexus and One. This is per consumer surveys. Having an economics background, I am always intrigued by product design decisions that inherently constrain sales. My own company is guilty of it sometimes and usually down to making decisions in a bubble, or testing/piloting a new strategy.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I think that would be pretty obvious to just about everyone. Yet I still encourage subscribers to contact VZW. The alternative I suppose is to sit on your hands and accept that as consumers we are powerless against large corporations. You're welcome to do that. I would suggest that this kind of attitude is itself unproductive. Maybe a few people send feedback (constructive criticisms not "complaints" for those that are capable of engaging in discourse at that level). The alternative is that VZW hears nothing.

I suppose the other aspect of it is that forum members have opinions. In some cases very strong opinions, and they are not aware of the options to express those opinions to VZW management.

Believe me, I agree with you on that...it's sad actually when you come to the realization that a company *doesn't* value your loyalty as customer, because they've grown so large and you essentially just become a number.

I guess my point was that it's one thing to voice your opinion, but another to actually expect an unlikely response. I almost have to chuckle when I see posts like, "Well, I'll show them! If they don't let me keep my unlimited data I'll just tell them that this customer of 12 years is leaving!!!". Realize that wasn't the tone of your post, but none the less, I always image the CS rep on the other end just being like, "well, I'm sorry here that, enjoy getting your calls dropped on AT&T or having no reception on Sprint!"

Since I'm not really into games, I'm fine with a 16GB phone...but only if I have SD Card support.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever seen. A 3rd party retailer designed for latino.

"Latinos shop with their kids, so we will have ares for kids to play while latino parents shop for phones". What?

Status
Not open for further replies.