How's the signal strength of the Verizon Galaxy S4?

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately not that great. My office always has low reception and it is noticeably worse with the S4. I am holding on to my DNA for now...I may be forced back it as the reception was much better. The rest of the phone I am quite happy with. The camera is sick...best cell phone camera I have ever used...and I have used them all on Verizon.

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to VZW S4 from a SGN. Right now, I'm getting a usable signal and data connection in a location where I had zero before.
The radio on the SGN was pretty bad in low signal environs, so it's not hard to make an improvement.

Posted via Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Because they are more concerned about adding a bunch of useless (for most people) sensors and features that help suck up another 2GB of storage ;) As Samung said, it is for the greater good :) .... Bleh.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Because they are more concerned about adding a bunch of useless (for most people) sensors and features that help suck up another 2GB of storage ;) As Samung said, it is for the greater good :) .... Bleh.

ugh!

I'll be doing some extensive testing when I get it comparing it to multiple phones.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It's substantially better than my Galaxy Nexus. It gets a bit better signal than my wife's Droid Razr, which seems to get a pretty good signal.

Now wifi is another story. I get a horrible wifi signal with my S4.

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I too am coming from a Nexus. I sure hope they improved the BT, Wifi and Wireless performance with the S4. I've never been happy with the signal strength on the Nexus and it seemed like BT performance really took a hit when the wifi was turning on/off and the wireless was switching between 3g and 4g.

I use BT all the time in the car for phone and audio streaming. I can't wait to see how the S4 performs.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the signal strength on the Verizon Galaxy S4 is fine. We live out in the middle of the woods where we get 1-2 bars of 3G with the iPhone 5 and Note 2.
With the S4 we are receiving the same 1-2 bars of 3G and everything seems fine.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It's substantially better than my Galaxy Nexus. It gets a bit better signal than my wife's Droid Razr, which seems to get a pretty good signal.

That's good to know. Also coming from a nexus the official Verizon map says I should have 4g at my house now but I do not. Wonder if that will change with an S4. The nexus sucks at 3g 4g switching

ViperGeek

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Another data point. Compared to my signal-challenged HTC Incredible 2, I consistently have at least +1 bar more on the GS4, all other things being equal. And it keeps right up with my wife's Motorola DROID 4.

- Dave

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just a reminder that the bars displayed are not necessarily an indicator of actual signal strength. Do a quick search on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus for threads that debated this exact point in great detail. More important than bars displayed is reliability of the connection: Ability to pull signal, place and then hold calls during typical use.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that the signal strength on the Verizon Galaxy S4 is fine. We live out in the middle of the woods where we get 1-2 bars of 3G with the iPhone 5 and Note 2.
With the S4 we are receiving the same 1-2 bars of 3G and everything seems fine.
Good to know. Hopefully for those having issues, when samsung puts out an OTA update it can increase the signal strength

- - - Updated - - -

For those with the phone, what is it reading for dbm, as the bars can be misleading and read in terms of lte and not 3g for signal strength

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I also moved from the Galaxy Nexus to the S4 and I am happy to report a very strong signal in compairson......although that may not be a good compareson because the Galaxy Nexus had terrable reception and switching problems. WiFi at my home show a strong signal but i am getting terrable speeds...I haven't looked into it yet but i suspect the problem is with the WiFi on the S4's (all my other wifi devices have good bandwidth).

That's good to know. Also coming from a nexus the official Verizon map says I should have 4g at my house now but I do not. Wonder if that will change with an S4. The nexus sucks at 3g 4g switching

On the Verizon 4g map I am in a solid 4g area however i must be directly in the middle of two towers. With my Galaxy Nexus i was alway switching between 3g and 4g but with the S4 i stay on 4g with good speed.....I get faster speeds with 4g compared to wifi for some reason..... good thing i have unlimited data!!

-Kesnik