02-15-2015 02:58 PM
152 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Yeah, but the DNA is by HTC. not Motorola.
    It's a common misconception, really. When I first got my phone I remember being awed that droid's weren't actually all Motorola's
    06-12-2013 01:00 AM
    It's a common misconception, really. When I first got my phone I remember being awed that droid's weren't actually all Motorola's
    I know, that's why the smiley.
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    06-12-2013 01:12 AM
    First of all, I would put no stock in the numbers. ASU stands for Arbitrary Strength Unit and I think that's just what it is. Arbitrary. And the dBm numbers are useless unless you know that the phone components that are measuring signal strength have been calibrated against a known (or at least the same) standard. Besides which, if you don't know what tower you're connected to, the numbers REALLY don't matter. If two identical phones are side by side and getting 12 dB difference, it's probably because, for whatever reason, they are connected to different towers.

The only REAL test is whether you can get a signal. And for that, my brother and I are both not having good luck with our S4s.

Reception for voice calls seems fine. Our problem is 4G LTE reception.

I have an S4.
    My brother has an S4 (personal) and a Note 2 (work).
    Our dad has a RAZR Maxx and a MiFi hotspot.

All 5 devices are on Verizon.

At our dad's house, the RAZR and the Note 2 and the MiFi all get 4G signal (but only 1 - 2 bars) and stay steady on 4G, never switching over to 3G.

But, my and my brother's S4s both occasionally switch to 4G and then usually switch back to 3G within a minute or so.

I spent almost an hour on the phone with Verizon Tech Support on last Saturday. We shut down both S4s, pulled the SIMs, and the guy manually pushed a new PRL to both phones. He said the 4G phones are supposed to auto update the PRL every time they power up, but sometimes they don't actually do it. We powered our phones back up and they were no better.

I went to a Verizon store yesterday and got my SIM replaced (even though the one I had was already one of the new NFC ones and only a week old). Then back to my dad's. The 4G reception was no better. My brother's SIM in his S4 was one of the older non-NFC ones, so that's not the problem.

I'm seriously thinking of trading my S4 for a Note 2 now.
    06-12-2013 02:54 PM
    Horrible in Mt. Pleasant, SC. 2 bars in home with Verizon extender. My Thunderbolt got a better signal and it was a bad phone. Very disappointed.
    06-12-2013 10:30 PM
    Mine is an improvement over my s3 as well I pick up better lte signal and in places I only had 3g before. But its not a huge improvement, knowing Samsung is known for weaker radios I inquired and they said improved radio over s3. But if you need a strong radio and live in rural area of are always in shielded structures I would consider something known to have a stronger radio.
    06-13-2013 07:34 AM
    I noticed when I have a case on my s4, the signal goes from 4g to 3g. As soon as the case comes off, the signal goes back up. Anybody know anything I can do besides leaving the case off?
    06-17-2013 07:27 AM
    I went from a Droid 3 to an S4. The reception is horrible on my phone. My calls drop a lot and where I had full bars on my Droid 3, I get 1 or none now. It really makes me sad because I absolutely love this phone but might lose it due to the reception issue. Might switch to the HTC One if I can't figure out how to resolve this.
    06-27-2013 12:51 PM
    My S4 seems to get better voice reception than my Rezound did. It's just the 4G LTE reception that seems weaker. I am frequently dropping out of 4G to 3G in places where I am 99% certain my Rezound would maintain solid 4G service.
    06-27-2013 06:02 PM
    i came from a gnex which worked perfectly fine and i never dealt with the signal issues a lot of people encountered. after getting the s4, i notice faster 4g speeds, more bars in the places i travel to (i knw its not "faster 4g", its the phone itself thats faster) very much satisfied. and im on verizon.
    06-27-2013 06:28 PM
    i came from a gnex which worked perfectly fine and i never dealt with the signal issues a lot of people encountered. after getting the s4, i notice faster 4g speeds, more bars in the places i travel to (i knw its not "faster 4g", its the phone itself thats faster) very much satisfied. and im on verizon.
    I thought the GNex was not 4G LTE. Was it even on Verizon?
    06-27-2013 06:31 PM
    Lol have you been living under a rock? Yes it was on Verizon. There was a huge uproar when they slowed down the release of updates not to mention most people got terrible signal with it. It was all over the net.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-27-2013 07:04 PM
    yes it was on verizon and yes i was running 4g where ever available (which was 90% of my locations) and had zero signal issues like most did.
    06-27-2013 07:14 PM
    yes it was on verizon and yes i was running 4g where ever available (which was 90% of my locations) and had zero signal issues like most did.
    Same here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    06-27-2013 07:20 PM
    Doh! LOL! I remember that phone now. I had no interest in one (I need swappable battery and microSD), so I have never paid it much attention.
    06-27-2013 07:40 PM
    Doh! LOL! I remember that phone now. I had no interest in one (I need swappable battery and microSD), so I have never paid it much attention.
    the battery on gnex can be swapped. just no extra slot for sd which i didnt care about since the phone was 32gb. more than i needed.
    06-27-2013 08:00 PM
    Right. So, anyway, my S4 (and my brother's) still seem like they don't pick up LTE signal as well as other Verizon phones....
    06-27-2013 08:33 PM
    Definitely worse than my Thunderbolt.
    06-27-2013 09:35 PM
    To confuse things a little, the dBm is a negative number, so technically the -95 is higher, not lower, than -111. The closer to 0 the stronger the signal. ;-)
    06-28-2013 01:24 PM
    Definitely worse than my Thunderbolt.
    without getting specific RSSI values for my Thunderbolt (since its been in the box and needs to be charged), at least walking around it sure seems the Galaxy S4 is worse than my Thunderbolt too.

I posted this on XDA (under my other name)....
    ----
    I don't have a Verizon S3 to compare to, so S4 vs Bionic..

Pre CDMA Field test app with both devices on table next to each other at home...

S4
    Lte RSRP: -99 dBm
    Lte RSRQ: 10 dB
    Lte RSSNR: 80
    Lte SS: 20

Bionic
    Lte RSRP: -92 dBm
    Lte RSRQ: -9 dB
    Lte RSSNR: 88
    Lte SS: 15

Note the RSRQ *IS* a negative number on the bionic, but not on the S4.
    -----

My S4 is on my work line. My Bionic is my personal. There are places I had the S4 reporting 4GLTE with bars, yet could not do data (web pages, etc) at the same time my Bionic worked great and loaded pages quickly.
    StuartV likes this.
    06-28-2013 04:29 PM
    I've been meaning to bust out my Rezound and see if it will give me 4G signal strength without actually being activated on an account. If it does, I'm going to do something similar.
    06-28-2013 04:48 PM
    It's a shame Samsung makes great phones but their radios have always been their Achilles heel.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a shame Samsung makes great phones but their radios have always been their Achilles heel.
    06-28-2013 09:25 PM
    Call quality is average at best.
    06-29-2013 09:26 PM
    I spend a good deal of time in an office where I have very little or no service at all. I have previously used the iPhone 5, Droid Razr Maxx HD, iPhone 4s, and Bionic in this location. I judge them according to whether or not I am getting emails and texts (and/or how delayed they are). From my experience so far, the S4 is probably one of the worst of the bunch. The Motorola phones are the best performers, holding at least a weak signal most of the time. The S4 doesn't seem to lock on to weak 4G areas quite as easily either. I think this is the best way to put signal strength to the test - in a fringe area.
    07-01-2013 11:40 AM
    Comparing to old Motorolas ( I know, not fair), and to my previous Samsung Droid Charge. I live in a very difficult signal area and was very nervous when I first got the phone because it was showing 2 bars and sometimes even 1, which was worse than the Charge. Well, they tell you the bars aren't to be used for comparison and it turned out to be true in this case. I can have only one bar, but I can still hear the caller clearly and no one has complained about how I sound. It seems that once the S4 gets a signal, it can hold onto it very well.

Strange thing is that I can have 1 or 2 bars in my house, and still receive 4G. I find the 4G very strong and it almost never drops to 3G. Same with connecting to my wireless routers at home - good connections and quickly accomplished.

But yes, the actual talk signal seems weak and I really wish they'd done a better job.
    07-03-2013 12:22 AM
    This is AWESOME! You're having the EXACT same issues as me. It seems like it worked fine when I first got the phone but started getting worse every day after. I however had a DNA before and that thing got STELLAR signal! Even my iPhone 5 maintained the signal better. The best part is the phone doesn't even attempt go back to LTE it just hangs out on 3g for a long time or until reset.
    07-03-2013 02:55 PM
152 ... 23456 ...