I've searched here and all over the web. Looked at my Google Desktop Info (which backs up A LOT of info). But I can't seem to find a way to save my S3 Browser Bookmarks or App Data like game progress in Angry Birds, etc. I'm using SMS Backup+ to save my text messages, but can't find a similar program or internal backup options in the App settings. Any help?

Thanks,
    Rich
    05-22-2013 07:49 AM
    I am using Helium.
    05-22-2013 10:00 AM
    If you use Chrome as a browser, all your bookmarks will be saved cross platform. I also use Helium to store the apps (prev from my s3). We'll see when the s4 arrives (hopefully today) if that worked
    05-22-2013 10:55 AM
    No, I don't use Chrome. I'm setting up Helium now. Hopefully it works!

Thanks
    Rich
    05-22-2013 11:43 AM
    Check out this tutorial on app syncing with Helium. Go to 6:19 to see app syncing from one device to another.

05-22-2013 12:07 PM
    I appreciate that video, but I'm still having a problem getting the phone and my computer to see each other. I cannot find the USB settings on the S3. There is no menu button on our Storage page in Settings and the phone's menu button doesn't do anything. Different from the Nexus he is using in the Video. It might also be that my office computer is running Windows XP Pro. I may try it on my home laptop tonight which runs Windows 7.

BTW, from the video it looks you can't backup the Stock Browser Bookmarks. I have a ton of them so I wish I could find a way to do this. On the S4, I may start using Chrome so I can sync them with my other devices.

Thanks for the help!
    05-22-2013 01:03 PM
    BTW, from the video it looks you can't backup the Stock Browser Bookmarks. I have a ton of them so I wish I could find a way to do this. On the S4, I may start using Chrome so I can sync them with my other devices.

Thanks for the help!
    I use chrome for that very reason.
    05-22-2013 01:09 PM
    Ok, something very weird has happened.
    I was not able to get Helium to work here at the office and was going to try it again at home tonight. FedEx delivered my S4 this afternoon. I swapped my MicroSD card and the Sim card from the S3 to the S4 and then booted it up. I went thru the normal setups. Then I notice an app for my car (Send to Car) which would never be part of the bloat-wear from VZN. I then checked the Applications pages and low and behold, all my apps are there, including Alarm Clock Plus, Antutu Benchmark, Speed Test, Quadrant Standard, Infinity Player, Double Twist, AirSync, and later versions of Angry Birds (Seasons and Space) which I had downloaded in the past, but were not on my S3. In fact, apps from my Asus Transformer tablet are now also on the S4. (like Asus Storage, Tablet Majong and Dophin Browser) These apps were never on the S3. BTW, none of the data files for the apps transferred.

I'm a bit confused since I never had the opportunity to go into Google Play/My Apps and choose those to download, but I'm happy I don't have to do this now. I just have to delete the tablet apps.
    It's like Google Play automatically downloaded to the S4. I would sure love to know what happened here.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them! Thanks,
    Rich
    05-22-2013 04:01 PM
    Ok, something very weird has happened.
    I was not able to get Helium to work here at the office and was going to try it again at home tonight. FedEx delivered my S4 this afternoon. I swapped my MicroSD card and the Sim card from the S3 to the S4 and then booted it up. I went thru the normal setups. Then I notice an app for my car (Send to Car) which would never be part of the bloat-wear from VZN. I then checked the Applications pages and low and behold, all my apps are there, including Alarm Clock Plus, Antutu Benchmark, Speed Test, Quadrant Standard, Infinity Player, Double Twist, AirSync, and later versions of Angry Birds (Seasons and Space) which I had downloaded in the past, but were not on my S3. In fact, apps from my Asus Transformer tablet are now also on the S4. (like Asus Storage, Tablet Majong and Dophin Browser) These apps were never on the S3. BTW, none of the data files for the apps transferred.

I'm a bit confused since I never had the opportunity to go into Google Play/My Apps and choose those to download, but I'm happy I don't have to do this now. I just have to delete the tablet apps.
    It's like Google Play automatically downloaded to the S4. I would sure love to know what happened here.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them! Thanks,
    Rich
    This is supposedly the new feature Google announced at I/O App data backup.
    05-22-2013 04:23 PM
    Wow. I missed that announcement.
    It's got some bugs, but I like it! Saves a lot of time setting up the new phone.

I set up a friend's S4 yesterday and it didn't transfer any apps for him. He was moving from a Motorola 3G phone, so maybe that why.

Amazing phones!
    Rich
    05-22-2013 04:55 PM