My S4 will be arriving on Tues. I'm upgrading from a Dinc...what's the best/easiest way to transfer my app data from the Dinc to S4? I think contacts & calendar should be pretty easily synced via Google, but was hoping to easily move all apps & any associated app data w/o having to do everything manually. FYI, both devices are UN-rooted. Thanks.
    05-24-2013 12:29 PM
    Well, app data can be synced via Google just like your contacts and calendar, provided the app supports it. That said, that capability just came out last week, so most apps probably don't take advantage of that yet. Apps i'd just re-install from the Play app - your purchase history is all saved in the cloud so if you purchased an app, you won't have to pay for it again. Fresh installs should also perform better than a copied installation. As for copying over your app data - outside of using the google sync if you can, i'm not sure there's a particularly easy way to do that without being rooted - i believe Koush developed an app, but i don't think you can backup/restore via the cloud without root. I haven't tried it myself though. Hope that helps!
    05-24-2013 12:43 PM
    There are free apps out there that will backup all your apps and you can reinstall. However if you want the data you would need to be rooted and use like titanium backup. like said the data sync is new, and will be amazing once more apps use it.
    05-24-2013 01:08 PM
    Yeah I believe without root you're pretty much SOL for now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-24-2013 01:09 PM
    If you want to move files (pictures, music, documents, etc) you can always connect the DINC to a computer via the USB cable, save all the files to your computer, then do the same thing with the S4 and reverse the process. I had custom notifications, ringtones, etc. plus lots of photos and music that I needed to transfer from my DINC2 to my S4 and that's what I did. It's decidedly low-tech, but it works. You could also try uploading your files to cloud storage like Dropbox, SkyDrive or Google Drive, then pull them down onto your new phone. I'd only recommend doing that via WiFi if you have a lot of data though, or you'll gut your monthly mobile data allowance (assuming you have one).
    05-24-2013 03:17 PM