08-03-2016 02:41 AM
93 1234
tools
    OK, looks like I did 2 things differently, first I don't think I've turned off phone off while swapping sim card and other one is how do you disable setup manager?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    08-06-2013 01:14 PM
    OK, looks like I did 2 things differently, first I don't think I've turned off phone off while swapping sim card and other one is how do you disable setup manager?

go into settings, application manager, all apps, setup manager, disable.
    08-06-2013 01:21 PM
    I'm not seeing that exact application?

08-06-2013 01:33 PM
    Not app installer, scroll down towards the bottom of the list, there are two apps called "Setup Wizard" disable the one with green icon.
    08-06-2013 01:42 PM
    Attached is the Screenshot for the reference in case someone runs into same issue. Will try once I get hands on the sim card.

08-06-2013 02:13 PM
    I was able to get internet working on my friend AT&T post-paid account!

Voice and text worked but there was no Internet.
    Here's correct APN info that needs to be added to Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names in order to get internet and MMS working.
    Note: need to have non-Verizon SIM inserted

Taken from this XDA thread
    APN: phone
    mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    08-06-2013 11:40 PM
    I have tested a T-mobile sim in a verizon GS4 and was able to make/receive calls and text but no data. This is a new GS4 just received from verizon. Only took it out of the box, inserted verizon sim to activate, then immediately removed and inserted tmobile (pre-paid) SIM and did the test.

So even in the US, using tmobile's sim you can make/receive calls and SMS with verizon's GS4.

Will have to explore further to see if I can get data working.
    To get data and MMS to work, you need to add the APN settings for T-Mobile's network. I've used my T-Mobile SIM in my Verizon GS4 and got voice, SMS, MMS, and data working. Let me know if you need the APN settings.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    08-06-2013 11:46 PM
    To get data and MMS to work, you need to add the APN settings for T-Mobile's network. I've used my T-Mobile SIM in my Verizon GS4 and got voice, SMS, MMS, and data working. Let me know if you need the APN settings.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Do you need to root it in order to change APN? Or is it simply inserting tmobile sim, reboot, go into mobile networks and changing APN?
    08-06-2013 11:51 PM
    Do you need to root it in order to change APN? Or is it simply inserting tmobile sim, reboot, go into mobile networks and changing APN?
    No root required, insert tmobile sim and hit menu while in "Access Point Names"
    While Verizon SIM is inside the phone everything's grayed out.
    08-06-2013 11:56 PM
    My phone is rooted, but root isn't needed to add a new APN. Apparently, Verizon didn't lock down the APN menu like it initially did with the GS3.

Don't change the existing Verizon APN. Just add a new entry for the settings required by T-Mobile and make sure to save the new APN. You may need to reboot afterwards.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    08-06-2013 11:57 PM

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    My T-Mobile SIM is prepaid and it doesn't have internet but for the benefit of others can you please post the settings and someone else can test?
    NotJustAPhone likes this.
    08-07-2013 12:01 AM
    My T-Mobile SIM is prepaid and it doesn't have internet but for the benefit of others can you please post the settings and someone else can test?
    I use these settings with T-Mobile.

Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?-uploadfromtaptalk1375849425136.jpg

Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?-uploadfromtaptalk1375849437009.jpg

Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?-uploadfromtaptalk1375849451904.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    08-07-2013 12:24 AM
    I use these settings with T-Mobile.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Thanks for sharing!
    08-07-2013 12:46 AM
    Give this one a try.

Here's an APN xml file pulled from an International version of the Galaxy Note 2...also added in Verizon Note 2 APN's: Download APN Here

For instructions on installing this APN xml file, follow "Method 1" (you need to be rooted): Click Here for Installation Instructions

Use the APN xml file I linked above...not the one in linked XDA thread.
    08-15-2013 01:20 AM
    Give this one a try.

Here's an APN xml file pulled from an International version of the Galaxy Note 2...also added in Verizon Note 2 APN's: Download APN Here

For instructions on installing this APN xml file, follow "Method 1" (you need to be rooted): Click Here for Installation Instructions

Use the APN xml file I linked above...not the one in linked XDA thread.
    My phone (S4) is not rooted but I'm curios what this does, once setup it makes your phone automatically connect to the internet on any GSM network in the world without a need to manually entering separate APN?
    08-15-2013 01:50 AM
    im using a rooted verizon s3 on tmobile but im not getting the data to work without being connected to wifi...any help with this? thanks
    08-16-2013 12:50 PM

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    my data doesnt work..any help? rooted verizon s3 on tmobile everything works but i cant access data without wifi
    08-16-2013 12:52 PM
    all, the same here. The big issue for data availability (at least in my case) is vzw have blocked apn settings. i already root my sch-i545, make a lot of things, nothing works. in my case, i bought without contract because i live outside US.
    any help is very appreciate.
    08-16-2013 07:15 PM
    s44,
    thank you for your help on the verizon S4 sim unlock concerns. However can you please clerify for me what exactly we can do with our verizon s4's. My wife and I may need to switch to a prepay service due to cost, probably verizons or sprints. She has the S3 however, so are if we wanted to goto prepay, our S3 and S4 is already unlocked and ready to accept the prepaid SIM card of a local carrier? We will need to have voice, txt and data tho as we live in the country and dont have any wifi besides the carriers hotspot app. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely, Don
    08-17-2013 08:04 PM
    I am going to the UK in a couple days and was wondering if anyone has had success with a local sim card there. I bought a cheap data sim card online from three uk and am hoping it works.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-18-2013 04:21 PM
    From what I have experimented with, I believe once you put the new SIM card in you should be able to go under settings-mobile data-and gsm/umts and then go to access point names (APN), you then create a new APN with what the company tells you and save it. I currently have Viper DNA on my Verizon droid DNA, and I have hooked it up under NET 10 for 50$ a month instead of an outrageous amount from Verizon. Any unlocked GSM phone should work with any carrier depending on the frequency it uses. As far as I have researched, Verizon uses LTE CDMA and everyone else uses GSM for their networks. Hope this helps out anyone who can use this info.
    08-20-2013 09:19 PM
    For those of you who are using international SIM cards onto your Verizon S4, remember that you need to program the phone APN settings to receive text and data.
    08-23-2013 10:32 PM
    I'm heading to Korea with my S4 but I'm told by the verizon rep to just pop in the sim card at the kiosks and may need to change the APN to the local carriers.
    09-09-2013 03:22 AM
    How does one get the proper APN? I am in France and my French SIM card works fine for voice and sms and also for using a WIFI but cannot access the mobile data system of the French system. And the technicians at the French company seemed stymied. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    09-10-2013 04:40 AM
    How does one get the proper APN? I am in France and my French SIM card works fine for voice and sms and also for using a WIFI but cannot access the mobile data system of the French system. And the technicians at the French company seemed stymied. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    You can often find APN settings for various carriers on their websites or via search. I haven't used my GS4 outside the US, but got mobile data and MMS working with a T-Mobile SIM after finding the recommended APN settings on TMO's website.

Create a new APN entry for your carrier by going to Settings/More Networks/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names, hit the menu key and select Add new access point name. Hit menu to save the entry and reboot.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    09-10-2013 01:47 PM
93 1234