2.4 Ghz / 5 Ghz, 802.11ac Wifi Settings

crtxn1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
This is my first Android device, (I came from iOS), and I have an Asus AC-66R Router at home which has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi simultaneous going. Now my wife still has an iPhone 4 and my computer both have to use the 2.4 GHz wifi. I know the GS4 does run 802.11ac on 5 GHz. I was able to get it to work by turning off the 2.4 GHz signal, and there is a noticeable improvement, but when both are on it seems that the GS4 always goes to the 2.4 GHz settings. I have to keep both up for the other wifi devices in the house, and for the life of me, I cannot find a setting on the Verizon GS4 to set 5 GHz as the priority over 2.4 GHz in the settings. Could someone please help me out, so I can optimize the GS4? Thank you for any help.

Charles

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It should, by default, select 5GHz over 2.4GHz only if the perceived signal strength is higher. 5GHz WiFi signals lose strength much more rapidly due to physical or electromagnetic interference than 2.4GHz signals do, and so that may be part of the issue.

Have you verified that the phone defautls to 2.4GHz even with direct line of sight of the router's antennae (and closer than 20 feet)? That'd be a quick way to determine whether it truly is disregarding the 5GHz signal entirely.

crtxn1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have pulled up the router diagnostics and it has not used the 5 GHz signal at all, when I turned off the 2.4 signal, it then showed that it was receiving 5 GHz. I also notice a much faster speed. On 2.4 GHz I was averaging 45 to 51 mps download, and with the 2.4 off and on forcing the GS4 to only communicate of 5 GHz, I was getting between 65 to 72 mps. So there is a huge difference. I have the 5 GHz signal set to 160 mW and the 2.4 set to 80 mW. I am even sitting in front of the router and getting the same issue. So it looks like the default is the 2.4, instead of the 5.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the router also. Change is SSID of the 5ghz to something differrent and then make it forget the 2.4

Posted via Android Central App

crtxn1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much, that was the issue, I had the same name for both SSID's!
WOW is all I can say! I am now getting downloads on wifi of close to a 100 mps on 5 GHZ and only 45 to 50 on 2.4. Now I just have to reconfigure the router so I can print off of the 5 GHZ line, but that will be later.

On a side note, I agree with all of you who own this router, it seriously kicks ---! I keep finding more and more of what the ASUS Router can do! If anyone is looking for a great router, this is the one to get!

Thank you for your help in this matter, something so simple as the SSID, and you all made it so much better, Thank You!

CCallahan

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok...need some help here. I have the same router but for the life of me can't find where it will tell me what speed my S4 is connected to. Just because it connects on the 5ghz band doesn't mean it is connecting on AC instead of N correct? Just trying to make sure my device is actually connecting on AC.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ASUS routers are great - I had a high end Netgear (WNDR 3700) that was constantly needing to reboot and replaced it with an RT-56 and it has been great ever since (both 2.4 and 5 Ghz). If (when) I move up to an 802.11ac I will stay with ASUS.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I would go to the router's wireless link then click Professional and look for TX power adjust and change it from the default and set it to 200mW. I've been running mine like this and I can go down the road and still have a 5Ghz connections.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue with 5Ghz wifi N and this phone, I have a Linksys E4200 running on 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz (for legacy devices) and the phone will connect to 5Ghz but it will not stay connected, constantly disconnects and connects to 2.4Ghz, if I make the phone forget the 2.4Ghz network (different SSID) it just disconnects from 5Ghz and goes to LTE, even standing right in front of the router.

Router has zero issues with other devices. At this point, I've partially given up and just connect to 2.4Ghz because it's the only wifi this phone will connect to reliably.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Apple's new 802.11ac router, had nothing but trouble with Asus routers dying on me with terrible support. Lots of people with the same issue if you read customer reviews.

Erol Fox

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
movielover76,

I stumbled on this thread and have the same problem with my Nexus 5 (just received) and my Linksys EA6200 on 5GHz. Don't have any other device that drops the 5GHz.

Did you ever figure this out?

Erol Fox

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
movielover76,

I stumbled on this thread and have the same problem with my Nexus 5 (just received) and my Linksys EA6200 on 5GHz. Don't have any other device that drops the 5GHz.

Did you ever figure this out?

Patrikvk

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I believe I have the same problem.

I can run both bands simultaneously, but if I do then my phone will connect to the 2.4Ghz band rather than 5Ghz.
At the moment I run them with two different SSID's and I use the extremely simple App called "Wifi Prioritizer" so that my phone will always priorotize whatever wifi I choose, for example my 5Ghz SSID. If the 5GHZ SSID isn't available, it will automatically choose my second choise which I chose to be the 2.4Ghz SSID.

However, I really want to use just one SSID, but if I do that then the Wifi Prioritizer app won't work and my phone will jump between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ.
It's so frustrating because I'm 1.5m away from the router and I get around 30DCB signal strength on the 2.4Ghz and around 45-55DCB on the 5GHZ, so that's why my phone switches back to 2.4GHZ if I'm not running Wifi Prioritizer.

I hope anyone has found a solution to run both bands under one SSID and for the phone to connect to the 5GHZ and stay on it.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
WIFI Prioritizer crashes on my GS4/i337 running 4.4.2 (NC1).

I found this thread looking for a way for my phone to prefer the 5GHz band. No luck thus far.

dresupreme

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. I have a Linksys 1900ac router that is dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I'm running a Samsung Note 3 on the 5ghz band, by changing the SSID name and password for 5ghz. I easily reach 75-90 mb/s down. However, since I also use my phone to connect to my Xbox one, I had to change the settings on the Xbox so it to can connect to 5ghz. Changing the name and password of SSID is what helped me. No problem since.