Really Bad Battery Life?

Scott Upton

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, so I have been experiencing some poor battery life. I barely use my phone (I don't play games on it or use it very often at all except for text messages and emails occasionally) and I don't understand why it's draining so quickly. I have had battery saver on since yesterday morning. My S4 is only 3 days old, but my last phone with a 1700 mah battery performed way better. It seems like the S4, with it's massive 2,600 mah battery should perform much better, and last at least 24 hours on a single charge with moderate use. Is anyone else experiencing battery life that is extremely poor? Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-26-21-49-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-26-21-49-16.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 149

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Strange, I have been having great battery life so far, almost 14 hours not and have 63% left to go with 2hrs and 33 minutes screen time so far.

crtxn1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I did not have good battery life either. After a quick internet search I found it this is a common issue in a certain percentage of the GS4 phones, and they are working on a firmware update. I am in no way suggesting what to do, but I did this myslef and it helped quite a bit, but the battery is still not up to par where I would like it. When I checked the battery diagnostic and task manager, I always saw Google Maps as an energy hog even with my GPS adjusted. I also saw mulptiple app always running even if I forced closed them What I saw online is to reset the factory settings, and after that I noticed the amount of programs running was cut in half and my battery life has improved. I still want it better, but no more dropping 30% in an hour for me. Good Luck!

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
edy2esy2.jpg
8a3y4yhu.jpg
Hello, so I have been experiencing some poor battery life. I barely use my phone (I don't play games on it or use it very often at all except for text messages and emails occasionally) and I don't understand why it's draining so quickly. I have had battery saver on since yesterday morning. My S4 is only 3 days old, but my last phone with a 1700 mah battery performed way better. It seems like the S4, with it's massive 2,600 mah battery should perform much better, and last at least 24 hours on a single charge with moderate use. Is anyone else experiencing battery life that is extremely poor? Thanks everyone!

Yea I'm not nearly getting what some users are claiming to be getting.

I'm not sure if what I'm getting below justifies returning my phone?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369642513984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369642513984.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 123
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369642536850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369642536850.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 123

Scott Upton

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm in the same boat and I'm not sure whether to return it or not. I was at 5% with about 13 hours and 10 minutes without charging which isn't nearly as much as many other people claim to be getting. I'm thinking it might be a bad battery?

Scott Upton

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I did not have good battery life either. After a quick internet search I found it this is a common issue in a certain percentage of the GS4 phones, and they are working on a firmware update. I am in no way suggesting what to do, but I did this myslef and it helped quite a bit, but the battery is still not up to par where I would like it. When I checked the battery diagnostic and task manager, I always saw Google Maps as an energy hog even with my GPS adjusted. I also saw mulptiple app always running even if I forced closed them What I saw online is to reset the factory settings, and after that I noticed the amount of programs running was cut in half and my battery life has improved. I still want it better, but no more dropping 30% in an hour for me. Good Luck!

Thanks, I just disabled maps, so hopefully it will last longer tomorrow!

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Today I got less than normal - 10 hours, but that was with 5 hours of screen time.

50% screen time seems pretty good?

[Edit] I should also mention that today was a lot of heavy use. Used Google Maps for a little bit, but kept the GPS off otherwise. Spent awhile at the beach so I flipped the display brightness from max to low (and vice versa) all day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369645799334.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369645799334.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 106
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369645824533.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369645824533.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

loonie01

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
New phone = heavy usage until phone is set up right. New toy is always being played with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered a S4 battery from the Samsung site directly.

I think its all a matter of usage. All these people that have over 24 hours of battery life are probably not using it as much as me (which I consider myself a heavy user). I think I usually get about 5-6 hours of screen time and around 14-15 hours of battery life.

xTommyx

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Something seriously wrong with mine. Less than 15 minutes screen on time, wifi, mobile data, gps, bluetooth, everything you can think of off. Even google maps location is off. And I lost all of this.
m3wBdd0.png

z06psi

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Excellent battery life here. Played games for a solid 3 hours yesterday, everything on (GPS) and still had 30% after 18 hours off charger.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm in the same boat and I'm not sure whether to return it or not. I was at 5% with about 13 hours and 10 minutes without charging which isn't nearly as much as many other people claim to be getting. I'm thinking it might be a bad battery?

Heck, that's about all I get with a razr maxx hd. People getting days on one charge can either see in the dark or shut off everything that makes a smart phone smart. Put a charger in your car and at work and use them. Problem solved.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Gave up my razr maxx hd for an s4 purely for the camera. During my first few days wirh my s4 I was getting around 4 hours screen time on a charge. But after a few tweeks I am up to around 8. Turn off the samsumg gesture crap after the novelty wears off then install snapdragon guru and you will double your battery life easy. My s4 is close to my razr now and at the end of a hard usage day I have 40% left.

Posted via Android Central App

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Gave up my razr maxx hd for an s4 purely for the camera. During my first few days wirh my s4 I was getting around 4 hours screen time on a charge. But after a few tweeks I am up to around 8. Turn off the samsumg gesture crap after the novelty wears off then install snapdragon guru and you will double your battery life easy. My s4 is close to my razr now and at the end of a hard usage day I have 40% left.

I tried the battery guru previously on my droid dna previously but it only ended up making my battery life even worse so I uninstalled it. How much would you estimate your battery life increased by using the app?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried the battery guru previously on my droid dna previously but it only ended up making my battery life even worse so I uninstalled it. How much would you estimate your battery life increased by using the app?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

30% increase easy. The app just came out of beta....you should try it again.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised by some of these numbers. Not for what they are, but for the complaining about them. 14 hours with moderate use is pretty good for these fancy pants phones with 4G and high end CPUs in them. Here's a few reasons I've seen faster than usual battery drain on the S3 and even RAZR phones.
1) Network switching. That mobile data thing is always on in the background. If you're walking through buildings and it's trying to switch from 4G to 3G, back and forth, it will punch your battery hard.
2) WiFi goofiness. WiFi seems to be a weird one. Some people claim leaving it on lasts longer since it offloads the 4G connection sometimes. Other people claim that it drains the battery as it constantly searches for a network. I've got mine set up to turn off WiFi at work via an NFC tag, turn it off when it connects to Bluetooth in my car, but turn it back on when it disconnects from that same Bluetooth. Seems to work pretty well.
3) Screen timeouts. Turn down your screen timeout down. The more you look at that pretty screen, the faster the battery drain. Turn your brightness down and pick a background that is darker also.
4) Stupid apps. There are some apps that just love to sit in the background and trickle away battery. Yes, they only show as a small percentage, but if you have 20 of them running, they'll suck away your battery. If you're playing Words with Friends and getting your news fed with auto refreshing widgets, you might want to consider killing a few of those off.
5) Gestures, Smart Screen, Air View. Figure out which of these you actually are going to use. If you don't actually use them, shut the feature off. The sensors that feed data to these are battery drainers.
6) Disable any stupid built in app you aren't using. If you're not an Amazon MP3 user, disable it. If you use Google Maps, disable that Verizon Navigation app. Once you disable all the ones you don't need, reboot your phone. In most cases, with the app disabled, some of the pointless background services that feed them will not be started when you boot.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been pleased with the battery so far. I prefer to leave everything on, WiFi, Sync, GPS, Bluethooth and hope for the best. I went all day and had 30% or more left. That was a holiday and the phone is still settling in so I will need to wait and see. Data consumption seems to be stabilizing too. Maps does seem to need about 20% to 25% of battery used.