Really Bad Battery Life?

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Maps is also using about 20% of my battery and I've never even opened the app up before. Although I don't want to disable it because I will use it from time to time.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I haven't messed with it yet, but Google Now may be using GPS to track where you go and that might get categorized under "Maps." I've noticed that my "Maps" usage is high even though I don't use it, too.

soxfan5

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Location services are definitely causing some excess battery drain for some reason. I've had the phone since last Tuesday, and I've kept it on LTE with all location services on the whole time. Battery life has been great, it makes it through the day with plenty to spare. Except last night... I left it on while charging over night, like usual, and after 6 hours it had only charged from 15% to about 65%. After I turned the screen on for a few minutes, while still plugged in, it dropped down to 63%. At that point I turned it off and it almost got to 100% before I had to leave for work. About 30 minutes later I arrived at work (I was driving so I didn't use it at all), and it had already lost 10%. The only unusual item in my battery usage was Google Services, so I turned off location services and the excessive drain has stopped.

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Strange, I have been having great battery life so far, almost 14 hours not and have 63% left to go with 2hrs and 33 minutes screen time so far.

I'm about the same. My battery life has been fantastic on this device. I'm at 10.5 hours with 52% left with moderate usage throughout the day.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Granted, my phone is pretty new, but I've been noticing great battery life! My office at work is a black hole for cell reception, and my old S3 would normally be about dead by lunch time. Not only does my new GS4 seem to get better reception in my office, but my battery may just last the whole day as well!

Screenshot_2013-05-30-13-46-40.jpg

(I did root mine and disable a bunch of "bloatware" apps, but haven't done much else to it).

EDIT: To the OP: I notice "Maps" is high on the list. That could be for various things but I know that if you have "Google Now" enable it will use Maps frequently, and for me, seems to drain the battery faster. I think Google Now is a pretty neat feature, but I always turn it off because I'd rather not waste the battery of my phone.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell me how to turn off Google Now without disabled the Maps feature?

Thanks

Open google now, scroll to the bottom, click on menu in lower right corner. Click settings, Privacy/Accounts then click on Google account at the top. Should give you an option to sign out.