I told myself I would give the S4 a good week of use before I decided if I would keep it or go back to my Note 2. Well, after a full week I'm sorry to say I'm going back to my Note 2. Don't get me wrong, the S4 is a great phone. The resolution and colors of the screen is the best I have ever seen. The camera features, while a bit gimmicky, are fun to play with. The thinness and lightweight of the phone are incredible for a 5" phone. The IR blaster will definitely come in handy.

BUT, there were a few things that made me go back.

First and fore most is the screen size, while 5" is a big screen by almost anyone's standards, coming down from 5.5" was just to big a drop. I believe it's a 22% difference in screen viewing area. The massive Note 2 screen makes people's jaws drop when I pull it out and since I use the hell out of my camera, I'm always showing off the pics I take, so the bigger the screen the better. The dreaded "S4 lag" wasn't too bad on my phone, but it was noticeable a few times. The battery life was decent, but once again I was spoiled by the Note 2. Under light/heavy use I got about 27/14 hours out of the S4 and with the Note 2 I got about 36/20 hours. Any one of these things by themselves and I probably just would have kept it, but all three together and I had to go back.The thing i will probably miss the most is the insane resolution. You can't really tell a difference when looking at pictures or videos, but it is definitely noticeable when your on a website with small text.

I'm not selling the phone but will instead give it to the wife to replace her S3, so I will still stop by here every once in a while. Later!
    jdbii, johnriii, badbrad17 and 1 others like this.
    05-29-2013 01:01 AM
    I told myself I would give the S4 a good week of use before I decided if I would keep it or go back to my Note 2. Well, after a full week I'm sorry to say I'm going back to my Note 2. Don't get me wrong, the S4 is a great phone. The resolution and colors of the screen is the best I have ever seen. The camera features, while a bit gimmicky, are fun to play with. The thinness and lightweight of the phone are incredible for a 5" phone. The IR blaster will definitely come in handy.

BUT, there were a few things that made me go back.

First and fore most is the screen size, while 5" is a big screen by almost anyone's standards, coming down from 5.5" was just to big a drop. I believe it's a 22% difference in screen viewing area. The massive Note 2 screen makes people's jaws drop when I pull it out and since I use the hell out of my camera, I'm always showing off the pics I take, so the bigger the screen the better. The dreaded "S4 lag" wasn't too bad on my phone, but it was noticeable a few times. The battery life was decent, but once again I was spoiled by the Note 2. Under light/heavy use I got about 27/14 hours out of the S4 and with the Note 2 I got about 36/20 hours. Any one of these things by themselves and I probably just would have kept it, but all three together and I had to go back.The thing i will probably miss the most is the insane resolution. You can't really tell a difference when looking at pictures or videos, but it is definitely noticeable when your on a website with small text.

I'm not selling the phone but will instead give it to the wife to replace her S3, so I will still stop by here every once in a while. Later!
    Well, at least the upgrade didn't go to waste...lol You gave it a fair shot, and I would guess coming down from a big device would make things difficult.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-29-2013 01:48 AM
    I notice you didn't mention the stylus. Was that not a factor?

I have a Note 1 and am waiting for Note 3 (a free Note 2 landed on my lap and I sold it!)
    05-29-2013 03:47 AM
    I've thought about doing the same. I sort of miss my Note 2, and in daily use there is no real performance gain here. The screen looks better but that's about it. But the S4 is more pocketable, especially bare. And the 5" screen is nearly perfect for me. I have yet to find a good case for it.
    05-29-2013 08:57 AM
    this is EXACTLY why I don't want the Note 2. I figured once I get used to that 5.5 display, I wouldn't be able to go back to anything smaller, no matter the specs. I'm getting the S4 primarily due to the pocketability. not to mention it's a huge upgrade from the HTC Rezound. good for you, to be able to go back to the "old" Note 2.
    jscarano likes this.
    05-29-2013 09:41 AM
    this is EXACTLY why I don't want the Note 2. I figured once I get used to that 5.5 display, I wouldn't be able to go back to anything smaller, no matter the specs. I'm getting the S4 primarily due to the pocketability. not to mention it's a huge upgrade from the HTC Rezound. good for you, to be able to go back to the "old" Note 2.
    You would think that extra 1/2 inch wouldn't make a big difference. But it does. I use my phone as a Kindle reader, and the 5.5" is better for that. Plus it makes using the phone in general easier. On the down side, it doesn't fit pockets all that well, although bare it seems pretty much OK. It still is definitely there when sitting though. Still, the 5" is a very good size. It's easy to read, pockets well, and you can handle it one handed more easily.
    johnriii likes this.
    05-29-2013 09:57 AM
    I gave up the Note 2 for the S4 for the smaller size and pocketability. I loved the Note 2 but it was just too big. But I did give my wife the Note 2 so she can get rid of her iPhone and she loves it. We actually made a bet that the phone will be falling out of her pocket within a one month timeframe. She is very tiny and she likes to keep her phone in her back pocket. The Note 2 hangs out a little more than half out of her pocket. And if it drops out I win $100.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    johnriii, Topgonzo and MikeLip like this.
    05-29-2013 11:11 AM
    I gave up the Note 2 for the S4 for the smaller size and pocketability. I loved the Note 2 but it was just too big. But I did give my wife the Note 2 so she can get rid of her iPhone and she loves it. We actually made a bet that the phone will be falling out of her pocket within a one month timeframe. She is very tiny and she likes to keep her phone in her back pocket. The Note 2 hangs out a little more than half out of her pocket. And if it drops out I win $100.

My daughter kept her iPhone in her back pocket. I told her she is going to sit on it and it's going to end up broken. But since shes 18 shes's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay smarter than I am, and she kept it in her back pocket until... Yeah. Dad's not as dumb as he looks, is he?
    05-29-2013 11:22 AM
    My daughter kept her iPhone in her back pocket. I told her she is going to sit on it and it's going to end up broken. But since shes 18 shes's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay smarter than I am, and she kept it in her back pocket until... Yeah. Dad's not as dumb as he looks, is he?
    Ha! Been there, done that!
    johnriii and MikeLip like this.
    05-29-2013 11:40 AM
    In my case husband is not as dumb as he looks lol

MikeLip likes this.
    05-29-2013 11:53 AM
    what is it with these kids and the back pocket thing? I guess when THEY have to buy the phone, then they will take care of them much better. but, kids will be kids, no matter how expensive the toys get.
    05-29-2013 12:58 PM
    what is it with these kids and the back pocket thing? I guess when THEY have to buy the phone, then they will take care of them much better. but, kids will be kids, no matter how expensive the toys get.
    Kids have no idea of the value of anything until they have to work for it. I know I didn't.
    Notsosure, johnriii and jscarano like this.
    05-29-2013 01:00 PM
    You would think that extra 1/2 inch wouldn't make a big difference. But it does. I use my phone as a Kindle reader, and the 5.5" is better for that. Plus it makes using the phone in general easier. On the down side, it doesn't fit pockets all that well, although bare it seems pretty much OK. It still is definitely there when sitting though. Still, the 5" is a very good size. It's easy to read, pockets well, and you can handle it one handed more easily.
    I've actully eyeballed the Note 2 for quite a while now, even going so far as to get the "dummy" one from verizon and walk around with it in my front pocket of khaki pants. it's ok, without a big case. I would have to get a very minimal case, if I went with the note 2. however, all I need is something that gives me better grip, cuz I got the hands of an all pro wide receiver. unfortunately, the speed of a three legged turtle hindered my NFL aspirations!
    MikeLip likes this.
    05-29-2013 01:02 PM
    I've actully eyeballed the Note 2 for quite a while now, even going so far as to get the "dummy" one from verizon and walk around with it in my front pocket of khaki pants. it's ok, without a big case. I would have to get a very minimal case, if I went with the note 2. however, all I need is something that gives me better grip, cuz I got the hands of an all pro wide receiver. unfortunately, the speed of a three legged turtle hindered my NFL aspirations!

Here is a nice case, with kickstand, that doesn't add much bulk but does add grip;
    Amazon.com: Puregear 60075PG Kickstand Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I got it and like it a lot.
    05-29-2013 01:10 PM
    I had rezound before too S4 is 10x better. Love it
    05-29-2013 01:35 PM
    I had rezound before too S4 is 10x better. Love it
    54 days and counting!
    jscarano likes this.
    05-29-2013 06:59 PM

Here is a nice case, with kickstand, that doesn't add much bulk but does add grip;
    Amazon.com: Puregear 60075PG Kickstand Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I got it and like it a lot.
    wow. very nice case. I may have to see if the S4 has one from the same company. that is IF I get the S4. price is the same right now. decisions, decisions.
    05-29-2013 07:02 PM
    I notice you didn't mention the stylus. Was that not a factor?

I have a Note 1 and am waiting for Note 3 (a free Note 2 landed on my lap and I sold it!)
    I use the stylus a little, but not that much. I too am anxiously waiting the Note 3. If it is anything like the S4 was to the S3, about the same width/height, bigger/better resolution screen, smaller bezel, thinner, lighter, more features. It is going to me the PERFECT phone!
    05-29-2013 09:05 PM