Why pay FULL price ??

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I mean if we're talking just straight math, even if you don't use the trick to keep your unlimited and buy on subsidy, why wouldn't you just add a line to the nationwide share plan or whatever it's called for $9.99 + approximately 8% in taxes, whatever... buy it on contract, $10.79*24 months =$258.96+$200 = $458.96 total price, cheaper than the outright or the EFT+subsidy and you have a spare line available for whatever in the future, like another off-cycle upgrade. You can put a dumb phone on it and have it as an emergency in the glove box phone, whatever.

Buying it outright is the 2nd most expensive way you can do it, if all you're trying to do is keep unlimited. The most expensive is buying it outright on their finance plan with the $2 charge 12 times adding $24 to the full price amount. 3rd is obviously paying subsidy and the full EFT while losing unlimited data and paying more per month (though of course, the EFT would go down by approximately $120 if you waited a year to upgrade and for some reason cancelled... not sure why this would be the plan), 4th is adding a line, but the cheapest, if it's an option is using the unlimited data retention method and upgrading, etc.

Aside from the taxes and fees (which ranges from $3 - 7), there is upgrade fee of $30 or activation fee of $36. The activation fee will be refunded if you cancel service within 3 days, as in the etf method. I did have a csr try to argue with me that the etf fee wasn't refundable under any circumstances. After I pointed out the website and receipt stating so, the csr reluctantly agreed to honor their written policy. Anyways, I digress. Counting on the lower end, $3 taxes and fees for 24 months plus upgrade fee would be $342 for a basic line, compared to the $350 etf, plus $5 one days usage charge. Obviously, the more the taxes and fees are, the more financially feasible the etf method is.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Could we please stop making generalized statements about buying it outright being more expensive than a subsidized phone. It all depends on what plan you had and what plan Verizon now has.

If you have one line on an individual plan, then it will be more expensive to get a subsidized phone and join a new share plan. I did the math and it was $105 more expensive over a two year contract. So I stuck with my current month to month plan and bough my 32 gig iPhone outright.

The answer to the question is it depends on what you have and what plan you will end up with. Old single phone plans usually pay more when you switch to a share plan.

Sent from my iPhone 7

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The extra line on my bill comes in at $12.67. That is for a line with a dumb phone and nothing else.

Hmm.... "and nothing else", what does that mean? I mean, if I can knock off a few bucks, lol, I will.

Here's mine:

dumbphone.png

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The answer to the question is it depends on what you have and what plan you will end up with. Old single phone plans usually pay more when you switch to a share plan.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Not true.

I look at tons of accounts daily and most people would save money going with the share everything plan.

I've only seen one customer that would pay more

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not true.

I look at tons of accounts daily and most people would save money going with the share everything plan.

I've only seen one customer that would pay more

It would be about $30 more on my plan per month, only two lines, one has the 4gb for 2 plan from 2011 special and one is unlimited. We have 450 minutes and 1k shared texts. The problem is that we don't use the things they're making unlimited and we do use what they want to limit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It would be about $30 more on my plan per month, only two lines, one has the 4gb for 2 plan from 2011 special and one is unlimited. We have 450 minutes and 1k shared texts. The problem is that we don't use the things they're making unlimited and we do use what they want to limit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah in your case I totally understand.

I've seen one person in that situation

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah in your case I totally understand.

I've seen one person in that situation

Well I am the third one then. So now there are three of us. There might be more out there that you do not know about. Here are my calculations. As I said I saved more by buying the phone outright than by getting a new share plan.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370380657.289742.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well I am the third one then. So now there are three of us. There might be more out there that you do not know about. Here are my calculations. As I said I saved more by buying the phone outright than by getting a new share plan.

View attachment 70443

Sent from my iPhone 7

Most people do save money, but we aren't most people.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'll make it two. I currently paying $85 a month (taxes,fees, everything) for one smartphone with grandfathered unlimited data, one dumb phone for a grandfathered 700 minute plan with no texting. We don't make many phone calls during daytime and rarely get anywhere near the 700 minutes (due to unlimited nights, weekends and VZW mobile - mobile). The cheapest family share plan would be $40 + $30 + $50 + fees. So, now you have 2.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So, now you have 2.
Actually that makes 4. Three in this thread including myself and another that the guy who cells phones for a living says was the only one he met. I am pretty sure there are many many more out there like us. I hated the share plan from the moment I read about it.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually that makes 4. Three in this thread including myself and another that the guy who cells phones for a living says was the only one he met. I am pretty sure there are many many more out there like us. I hated the share plan from the moment I read about it.

Sent from my iPhone 7

He is right though that we're not like the average consumer when it comes to usage, device cycles, etc.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
He is right though that we're not like the average consumer when it comes to usage, device cycles, etc.

Also you don't have to switch to the share everything plan. That's just an option, but there are 2 data tiers to choose, 2 GB for the same 30 you paid before and a 4gb plan

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member