How can I set a custom mp3 as the "alarm clock" sound? I copied my mp3 into the "Alarms", "Notifications", and "Ringtones" folders, but no joy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PS: it is working for phone ringtone and sms notification sounds.
    06-02-2013 09:12 AM
    How can I set a custom mp3 as the "alarm clock" sound? I copied my mp3 into the "Alarms", "Notifications", and "Ringtones" folders, but no joy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PS: it is working for phone ringtone and sms notification sounds.
    Did you put it on the SD card or on the device? I put mine on the Phone in the Notifications folder.
    06-02-2013 09:18 AM
    Did you put it on the SD card or on the device? I put mine on the Phone in the Notifications folder.
    I don't have a SD card installed.

Just figured out what I was doing wrong. I didn't notice that several menu items are hidden unless select "more" to display them. Thanks.
    06-02-2013 09:32 AM
    I don't have a SD card installed.

Just figured out what I was doing wrong. I didn't notice that several menu items are hidden unless select "more" to display them. Thanks.
    I think you need to make a clip of the song before you can make it an alarm. Myxer is an app that can do that.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3
    06-02-2013 09:35 AM
    what i do is create an alarms folder and drop all of my alarm audio files in there.
    06-02-2013 08:28 PM
    I use Alarm Clock Xtreme which lets you play an MP3 as an alarm clock:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ck.xtreme.free
    fatboy97 likes this.
    06-03-2013 08:45 AM
    what i do is create an alarms folder and drop all of my alarm audio files in there.
    There should be a "Notifications" folder already created for you on your device's drive... all of these alarms/notifications/ringtones can all go in the same folder.

I use Alarm Clock Xtreme which lets you play an MP3 as an alarm clock:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ck.xtreme.free
    Totally agree. Xtreme alarm is a great alarm.
    06-03-2013 10:09 AM
    There should be a "Notifications" folder already created for you on your device's drive... all of these alarms/notifications/ringtones can all go in the same folder.
    i know, but i like them to be in their own separate folders and organized. that way, the tones for ringtones don't appear in my notifications selection tray, and vice versa.
    06-05-2013 07:12 PM
    I've not been able to make it work either. Like you I've copied my chosen sounds to /storage/sdcard0 then the appropriate /notifications /alarms or /ringtones folders (although files copied to /storage/sdcard0/media/audio/ and the appropriate sub-folders are picked up by the OS too).
    Like you I've found that the notifications and ringtones sounds I've added are found without any problems but the alarm sounds simply DO NOT show up.
    I suspect it's a bug in the alarm clock app where the directory information was hardcoded (probably as /system/media/audio/alarms which is full of .flac files) but the bug may run deeper than that.
    If anyone does find a writable location to store alarm tones so they become usable (because ALL the stock ones are pretty awful) please spread the wealth!
    P.S. my handset is a HTC One M8 and it is experiencing the same problem as the S4 so I suspect that the bug is with Android itself.
    04-07-2014 08:55 AM
    I added several .mp3 and .ogg files to /storage/extSdCard/ringtones. The alarms in the stock Android 4.3 Clock app do see them there and include them in the list. I'm not sure this is precisely what you're trying to do, but it's working for me.
    04-08-2014 12:19 PM
    download the music you like and add it to the playlist, when it's playing, press the screen for two seconds and will see a menu. then set the music as alarm clock sound.
    04-09-2014 07:07 AM
    see also
    [Bug Watch] Notification, Alarm, And Ringtone Sounds Go Unrecognized If Moved Using On-Device File Explorer In Android 4.4.2
    there is a known bug.

Tried moving the 'alarms' folder (to which I had already put some new sounds but which weren't showing up) from internal storage to PC then copied it back to internal storage on the phone. The sounds then showed up as available to select as alarm sounds. Added a mixture of ogg and mp3s.

"Android makes it very easy to add your own ringtones, notification sounds, and alarm sounds to your device. Simply move a sound file to the Notifications, Alarms, or Ringtones folder on your internal storage, and you're done. A new bug has popped up in Android 4.4.2, however, which could make this a bit more complicated. Currently, unless the sounds are added via a computer, they will not show up in your lists of available sounds."
    NPR_Aficionado likes this.
    04-14-2014 08:37 AM
    Thanks for that info. Glad you got it worked out. So far I haven't received KitKat, so nothing that was working right on my phone has been broken yet.
    04-15-2014 01:01 PM
    I had the same problem. There's a "+" in the top right corner. It was grayed out at first. I started cutting and pasting the file I wanted to set as my alarm to various folders and trying to set it and at some point the "+" became active and I was able to push it. At that point it took me to a screen to select a file and had ALL of my music files listed. I don't know at what point the "+" became active, nor do I know what activated it, but if you cut/copy and paste the file you want to use as your alarm into various folders, pay attention to the "+," as it may become active and you'll be able to set any music file on your phone as your alarm! Good luck!
    10-21-2014 05:15 PM
    The answer is easy. You simply can't. I have tried on my LG G3. I have tried to put the mp3 file anywhere on the phone, but it CAN'T be chosen as an alarm tone. The Extreme Alarm Clock from Store doesn't make a difference. New interface, same restrictions. Only LG's own alarm sounds can be chosen...
    08-18-2015 04:41 PM
    The alarms files are located in /system/media/audio/alarms, but you can"t access this part of your storage if you haven't the root privileges.
    08-30-2015 07:14 PM