Data usage while on WiFi?

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Can someone explain why I am being charged for data usage when the phone is in my house and connected to WiFi? Specifically, I see nearly 6% of my data before 8AM, when I never take the phone out of the house before 8AM and my WiFi has been working. I am sure that there are other times that the phone has been on WiFi and I am being charged for data, but I cannot determine what times those were.

I have also downloaded the usage spreadsheet and the total from the spreadsheet shows a usage of 0.070GB for my line, while the Summary Page on the website shows 0.133GB, i.e., nearly double. I have checked to make sure that I am looking at data for my line only, i.e., removing the data for all other lines on the account.

For purposes of comparison, my wife's iPhone 4S shows ZERO data being used before 8AM.

Sounds like I need a trip to the VZ store.

AndroidJay

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ouch, that sucks. I thought that if it is on WiFi, it wouldn't use cell data as well. I would contact Verizon and Samsung. This could be a lawyers dream.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Just went on verzionwirless.com and looked at my usage and have NO data usage at night while my phone is on wifi. Data usage always start at the same time I leave the house each morning. Are you sure you're not forgetting to turn wifi on some nights?

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
OP here:

Apparently, there is a bug in the stock Caller Name ID application. I did the "Live Chat" and the CSR had me disable this application. I have been given credit for all the data I have used this month.

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was having a similar issue. When I was home, the Wi-fi symbol AND the 4g symbol would both be active (although for me, it wasn't charging me any data. it was just annoying to have both symbols there).

You did find the fix that also worked for me:

Go to Settings --> More --> Application manager --> Swipe over to 'All' --> scroll down and find "Caller Name ID" and disable it.

It fixed it for me. Hopes this helps for anyone else looking for a solution!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I was having a similar issue. When I was home, the Wi-fi symbol AND the 4g symbol would both be active (although for me, it wasn't charging me any data. it was just annoying to have both symbols there).

You did find the fix that also worked for me:

Go to Settings --> More --> Application manager --> Swipe over to 'All' --> scroll down and find "Caller Name ID" and disable it.

It fixed it for me. Hopes this helps for anyone else looking for a solution!

That seems to be the big offender lately. Not sure if this is still the case, but I've heard reports of Verizon's useless Backup Assistant cause data use while on wifi as well...

TreeSpooner

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue and it has basically eaten up a third of my data plan within 5 days! I called Verizon and they couldn't figure it out and actually didn't believe me that my Wifi and 4g was running at the same time. Thanks to this forum, I turned off the caller id app and all appears to be right with the world again. I'm going to call back tomorrow to let them know I fixed it and request that I be credited back the data my phone used.

TreeSpooner

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue and it has basically eaten up a third of my data plan within 5 days! I called Verizon and they couldn't figure it out and actually didn't believe me that my Wifi and 4g was running at the same time. Thanks to this forum, I turned off the caller id app and all appears to be right with the world again. I'm going to call back tomorrow to let them know I fixed it and request that I be credited back the data my phone used.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Verizon and they gave me an extra GB of data this month and a $10 credit to my account for the inconvenience. I hope that they are able to pass this fix along to other users who call in with the same problem. Looking at my data usage on my phone since disabling the caller id app shows that this was absolutely the fix I needed. No data plan being used while I'm on wifi!

Trisha Graciela

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

This problem is blowing my mind and i am trying to disable the Caller ID but i cant find it in my settings by following the directions above. Anything else?

oraix

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
If your data connection is stronger than your wifi your phone will jump to the better connection. I kill my mobile data at home to prevent this.

jrh4054

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
paintdrinkingpete,

You won't think the Backup Assistant is useless if you have to do a factory reset and have to re-enter all your contacts manually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz