Questions from a noobie Android user

goldberg96

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks. Have my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 5 days now. Just loving it. Already rooted, some great customizations, etc. But I have two questions:

1. When I get into my car, bluetooth connects automatically. That part is great. But the phone goes into car mode. What makes that happen? It's not docked. What does car mode even mean? And on top of that, when I exit the car and bluetooth disconnects, the phone still shows in car mode. Can someone explain how that works and what's going on?

2. Second question pertains to Tasker actually. I have downloaded the app and set up two simple profiles. One is to start my Music Player (Load App: Google Play Music) when bluetooth connects and stop the Music Player (Kill App: Google Music Player) upon disconnect. The second profile is to run my Screen Stay app (Load App: Screen Stay) when connected to car dock and close the Screen Stay app (Kill App: Screen Stay) when disconnected from the car dock.

The second profile I can't try yet because my new car dock hasn't arrived yet. However, the first profile I described doesn't seem to work right. I thought I understood that while I am connected to bluetooth, if I look in my notifications, it should say something about the profile being active? But it always says No Profiles Active in my notification bar. And when I exit my car and bluetooth disconnects, the music app isn't being killed.

I thought this bluetooth profile was a really simple first attempt for me to use Tasker. But I don't understand what it's doing or not doing and why.

Can someone please help with the two issues I've asked about? I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks .............. Rob

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Here is my take on your issues/questions.

1. It's not really car mode... it just starts the S Voice app, which will read your text messages to you, but I have not actually seen mine do that yet. Additionally S Voice will allow you to ask your device to do some voice commands.

2. Tasker works just fine for me. I have a car profile that Bluetooth Connected: myCarName. You might want to do a few other things like change the ringtone volume. You can manually run some of these just by pushing the play button at the bottom of the screen when you have that task open.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Try going to the Taker home screen then hitting "Settings>Exit." It might ask you if you want to save your changes. It won't actually stop Tasker from working but it seems to make sure that what you've changed is being applied.

goldberg96

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Here is my take on your issues/questions.

1. It's not really car mode... it just starts the S Voice app, which will read your text messages to you, but I have not actually seen mine do that yet. Additionally S Voice will allow you to ask your device to do some voice commands.

2. Tasker works just fine for me. I have a car profile that Bluetooth Connected: myCarName. You might want to do a few other things like change the ringtone volume. You can manually run some of these just by pushing the play button at the bottom of the screen when you have that task open.

@FATBOY97: It IS car mode. If I look in my notifications, it says I am in car mode and to click to turn off car mode. This is without any docking whatsoever.

goldberg96

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have no trouble starting an app. I have tried with the Google Play Music app and the stock music app. The issue is coming from being able to kill the app when the bluetooth disconnects. I read that Tasker can't really kill apps using the built-in Kill App routine anymore so I downloaded the TASKKILL pluging for Tasker, which it seems people say works great. I set that up in Tasker as a task using the 'Extreme' option (recommended) and it still didn't close down the music app when I turned off my car and Bluetooth disconnected.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084