11-04-2013 05:04 AM
184 12345 ...
tools
    And I loathe having to come to an on-line forum to have to find answers to simple usability questions.............What I miss most about my Apple experience, is I could walk into an an Apple store anywhere worldwide (I travel a lot) and quickly get an answer to simple usability questions
    Me personally, i'd rather jump online than have to jump in the car and spend the gas to drive to an Apple store (if I even know where one is).
    06-04-2013 10:57 AM
    And I loathe having to come to an on-line forum to have to find answers to simple usability questions.
    I will grant the iPhone this much. iMore is practically a ghost town when it comes to troubleshooting compared to any other platform on Mobile Nations so I take that to mean it is relatively free of issues moreso than others. Especially when you have so many iPhone users compared to WP or BB. But having said that, it's to be expected that granting more functions and capabilities is going to naturally create more issues. It's a trade off but I'm good with that.
    LegalAmerican and badbrad17 like this.
    06-04-2013 11:10 AM
    I agree android isn't quite as stable as ios yet but its defiently come a long way and I think key lime pie will fix the few bugs there are and android will be as stable if not more stable than ios

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    06-04-2013 11:28 AM
    Based on everything I read, I actually thought I wanted the HTC One. But it's not out for Verizon for a while, and I needed to upgrade last week because my wife's phone was cracked and she wanted to switch to Verizon and get a new iPhone5. If I could somehow bridge the gap between now and when the One is released for Verizon, I would probably do that. More than anything else, I think the 28mm camera in the One is a huge plus over the S4.

So, just to address a couple things:
    1) I'm quite familiar with the difference between iOS and Android in terms of openness. I don't think that a closed environment like iOS is bad, necessarily. It can be very helpful to have someone else make your decisions for you. As long as you aren't too demanding, then this works great. My wife loves it because she has NO desire to customize anything. But I see potential and I want to exploit it, so I was drawn away from iOS towards Android. I've just been disappointed that the default implementation seems to poorly done. There's no reason why an Android phone can't ship with many of the features that make iOS great, AND be configurable, AND be completely replaceable. It's great that Android is so open and can be so customized, but that doesn't mean that the default implementation can't also be awesome.

2) Notifications - now with the built-in option enabled to show message previews, along with the NiLS app, I'm seeing notifications on my lock screen, which is great. It's not perfect, but I see that it could be perfect with a few more version tweaks, so I'm okay with it.

3) Facebook - What is up with that? I get a lot of FB notifications, and it continually buzzes for me, even though I disabled that in the app. Apparently it just doesn't care? Very annoying.

4) Size - I knew the phone was big when I bought it, obviously. I put it in my pocket and walked around a bit, and it seemed fine. But sometimes you don't really know what it feels like until you've lived with it for a while. It's still too wide for my taste, since my thumb can't reach across to the other side. I didn't really consider it a phablet, but it almost is for me. If this phone could be a half inch narrower, I would like it much more. But even the HTC One is nearly the same size. I love the iPhone form factor, even though the screen seems tiny. I want somewhere inbetween

5) NFC - This was one thing I wanted to move away from iPhone for, but now I find out that the stickers we've programmed at the office won't even work with the S4! They are incompatible! That's really annoying. Oh well. NFC stays off.

6) TouchWiz - Since I haven't used android before, I don't even know where the line is between Android and TW, so I'm not sure how many of my annoyances are actually with Samsung. From what I hear from others, Samsung takes a good thing and makes it worse with TW. Everyone tells me I need to root, and I suspect that if I stay with this phone I'll be doing that in a few months...

7) Android vs iOS - It's actually good to see so many people recognize the pros and cons of each side, and acknowledge that you don't have to say one is awesome and the other sucks. They clearly each have their own advantages, and it's all about weighing the choices based on your own preferences. In the end, we want something that works for us, and that may not work for everyone else. Thank you for all the thoughtful replies from all sides, it's really helpful to hear thoughts and opinions.
    First let me apologize if my last post came off a bit curt, I'm probably just jaded from seeing so many people used to iOS having issues that usually boil down to not having spent enough time acclimatizing themselves to the ins and outs of the new OS so it's made me skeptical of these posts out of habit. For your recent set of concerns,

1. The default implementation can be awesome. The trouble is that with so many variations it means you'll have to spend a lot of time finding that manufacturer who's implementation is what you like. Touchwiz has a bad rap with a lot of people, including those who prefer Samsung, and many will run a 3rd party launcher like Nova to have a UI they prefer.

2. I really can't be on the same page as you with notifications. Yes they're done differently than iOS but IMO the Jellybean notification pane is better and allows more power and options right from within the notifications without having to delve into the app they're from.

3. You won't be the first. We've all had a long love-hate history with the android FB app. A lot of us just won't use it anymore and stick with the mobile browser site. Not much you can do about it, the Zuck has some funny ideas on how to make a FB app for Android unfortunately.

4. not much to say here, you either like the larger screen even though it makes for a larger phone or you don't.

5. I don't use NFC, no comment here

6. See #1. No you're not forced to root. Your issue is with the UI which is more easily resolved playing with launchers. Nova is currently the most favored. Maybe it'll be easier to just show you my very simple and easy to use layout using a launcher, a nice icon set, and one calender/agenda widget:

Very simple and easy to do many things like this using Nova or similar launchers.
    06-04-2013 11:54 AM
    Wow this is beautiful! Thanks for sharing this image!! How can I set something like this up? I'm new to Android and just ordered my Nexus 4 yesterday. This is a beautiful, clean and simple layout and if you don't mind I'd love to use it on my new Nexus too.
    -I'm coming over from iOS after 5 years and a total Noob but have been following the forums and looking forward to playing around with Nova Launcher.

Thanks!
    06-04-2013 12:19 PM
    Wow this is beautiful! Thanks for sharing this image!! How can I set something like this up? I'm new to Android and just ordered my Nexus 4 yesterday. This is a beautiful, clean and simple layout and if you don't mind I'd love to use it on my new Nexus too.
    -I'm coming over from iOS after 5 years and a total Noob but have been following the forums and looking forward to playing around with Nova Launcher.

Thanks!
    Mine is a very cut down and easier to make version of this. I used less apps than he did (ie. My clock is the stock android one, he uses a 3rd party widget, and I didn't install the swipe apps he uses) You can use it as a guideline to suit your own tastes like I did.
    justmikey likes this.
    06-04-2013 12:32 PM
    I must say, I do miss the lock screen notifications and the screen turning on when I get a notification but for ME Android is slightly better, I have alot of free time to do stuff and messing with phones are MY interests the iPhone is an incredible phone I did and still carry an iPhone 5 and appreciate some small little details in iOS that Android doesn't have.
    You (and the OP) really need to try Popup Notifier. It displays above the lock screen and it turns the screen on when you get a notification. Works with everything. That and SwiftKey are the first things I install.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ificationslite
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-04-2013 12:39 PM
    You (and the OP) really need to try Popup Notifier.
    Have you tried NiLS? Or Executive Assistant+? Both of these apps do the same kind of thing, but each has their own quirks. I'll try Popup Notifier too and see if it works well. I really think the iOS way of doing notifications is great, so I just want something similar. I don't want to constantly be swiping down on the screen to see that my wife just texted me "OK" for example. I could more easily glance down and see that when the screen lights up. Or when I get a FB notification, which I do constantly, all day. I want to make a quick glance and see what it was, not actually interact with my phone.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-04-2013 12:47 PM
    As dumb as this sounds, if you're truly hooked on that stream of notifications, maybe give Facebook Home a try.
    06-04-2013 01:00 PM
    Just my take on your situation. Bear in mind, I've been selling phones a long time and have swtiched/tried other platforms constantly, as well as helped people go from one to the other acreoos various OS'
    1. The S4 is just too big. It doesn't fit in my pocket nicely, and it's not comfortable to hold with one hand. It's awkward, and I often feel like I might drop it.

3. Hardware mute. I really miss this on the S4. I like having a hardware toggle switch to mute my phone if it's going off in a meeting or something. I like being able to mute it in my pocket without having to touch the screen at all. IMO, this should be a REQUIRED feature on all phone hardware.

5. App count badges (minor). I loved the little red indicator on each app, telling me how many games I have to play in WWF or how many notifications I have in another app. I miss this easy indicator in Android.
    Nothing much to say here. Thee are just personal preferences that you will have to weigh in importance to other benefits. (There may be an app for the count badges though)

2. Notifications suck. I love the way iPhone did it - when I get new text messages, the screen lit up and I could see the message right there. If I received multiple messages, I could see them all. If I got Facebook comments, they were there too. All stacked up and scannable without unlocking or going to different apps. This is VERY important to me, because I receive a lot of updates about a lot of things, and I don't want to constantly fiddle with my phone to see them. I have it on my desk and I want to quickly glance to see what came in, then move on. I've tried a few lock screen notification apps, but none seem to work perfectly.
    Different systems do things differently. Notifications are all available without even unlocking the phone, so I'm not sure how much more accessable you need them. One button click and one swipe.

4. Endless tinkering. I've already spent many hours trying apps, reading about Android, messing with widgets, etc. My hope was that I could get it setup exactly how I want, then never have to tinker again, but that doesn't seem like how it will go. I'm still trying to make the user interface something that I think is usable! It just seems so clunky to me, compared to the smooth and efficient interface of the iPhone.
    I think it's a reach to spend a week with something and expect to be as comfortable as you were with the system you have run for years. Sure theres a lot to play with, but that comes with versatility. I've spent a ton of time over the years on Android figuring out what I like, and now, when I get a new phone, I can have it setup in around 30-45 minutes and never have to bother it unless I want to.
    06-04-2013 01:04 PM
    I'm fine and if your comment was supposed to be candid I would think you would add or something to the OP. I am a laid back guy and do have a sense of humour.
    That dang smiley face is the communication tool of the future ;-)
    06-04-2013 01:49 PM
    Have you tried NiLS? Or Executive Assistant+? Both of these apps do the same kind of thing, but each has their own quirks. I'll try Popup Notifier too and see if it works well. I really think the iOS way of doing notifications is great, so I just want something similar. I don't want to constantly be swiping down on the screen to see that my wife just texted me "OK" for example. I could more easily glance down and see that when the screen lights up. Or when I get a FB notification, which I do constantly, all day. I want to make a quick glance and see what it was, not actually interact with my phone.
    I haven't tried either of those two. There's also one called Notify (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ps.droidnotify) that's supposed to be good, and may even be better than Popup Notifier, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. Popup Notifier handles FB notifications well enough, you can always see the first bit of what somebody wrote. My only qualm is that for email, there is no mark as read option -- just view or close.
    06-04-2013 02:41 PM
    Another option is if you root your phone you could install a ios themed custom rom and still customize it and have lock screen notifications

06-04-2013 02:43 PM
    sounds like another case of "Why is my android not like my iPhone?"
    here you go https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xhdW5jaGVyIl0.
    06-04-2013 02:59 PM
    I was actually gonna suggest that it does a pretty good job of replicating the iOS exprience

06-04-2013 03:15 PM
    sounds like another case of "Why is my android not like my iPhone?"
    here you go https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xhdW5jaGVyIl0.
    You know if I had saw this right after I got my S4, I might have enjoyed it. Now using Android for over a month now, I don't want to go back. IOS 7 needs some major changes.
    Ryandroid86 likes this.
    06-04-2013 04:04 PM
    You're sadly mistaken if you think you can figure out a phone as complex as the S4 in just a week. If you like the way the iPhone did everything, why did you change? The S4 is my second Samsung phone. The phones operate basically the same. It's the S4's bells and whistles that take time to learn and appreciate. Don't take me wrong. The S4 isn't perfect by any means, but it beats my older phone by a very long shot.
    Peter_G24 likes this.
    06-04-2013 04:12 PM
    This is true, to some degree. I'm learning. It's not nearly as intuitive as an iPhone. I'm finding it a bit hard to learn how to use the device.

That works when unlocked. It doesn't work when the phone is locked, or when the lock screen is displayed. By default, there is no way to put the phone into vibrate mode without unlocking it or holding down the power button and then touching the screen.
    I find any ios device that I have used incredibly non-intuitive. I'm the first to admit it's because I haven't spent much time with ios, but isn't that your situation with Android?
    Joe

Posted via Android Central App
    06-04-2013 04:19 PM
    Did the OP say whether his S4 was running stock/ pure Android OS or with the Samsung UI overlay?
    06-04-2013 04:26 PM
    This is true, to some degree. I'm learning. It's not nearly as intuitive as an iPhone. I'm finding it a bit hard to learn how to use the device.

That works when unlocked. It doesn't work when the phone is locked, or when the lock screen is displayed. By default, there is no way to put the phone into vibrate mode without unlocking it or holding down the power button and then touching the screen.
    Sorry I meant to say while phone is ringing you can do it even if locked. When my phone is ringing I just reach in my pocket and hit the volume button to mute it. True not as everyone would prefer but it's just a different way of doing things, I personally do not mind.

And learning the device just takes a few weeks really to understand the basics. Pretend your operating a windows based system rather than an apple one and you should start to see some similarities and that can help you break your old habits. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-04-2013 04:44 PM
    Did the OP say whether his S4 was running stock/ pure Android OS or with the Samsung UI overlay?
    The default Samsung overlay. At least for now.
    06-04-2013 04:47 PM
    This thread was a very good read.. just wanted to throw that in here. It's also refreshing to see people work out any misunderstandings themselves.

Matt, I think everyone else has drilled down the specifics enough already, but I think you'll have a good experience if you find a way to bridge to the gap to the HTC One. And once you get it, try out the Sense features like the BlinkFeed homescreen features, but also consider installing a third-party launcher (essentially a homescreen replacement) like Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher.

Best of luck with the decision, and welcome to Android Central. Definitely stick around and keep us updated on your thoughts if or when you pick up the One. The One forums also have a lot of good tips, tricks, and otherwise helpful information.
    06-04-2013 04:52 PM
    My first Android phone was the original Motorola Droid. Loved that phone and actually learned to root it. I wasn't planning on getting an iPhone but virtually all my friends/family had it, so I figured two years wasn't too long and got an iPhone 4S. At first, I really liked it, mainly because the camera was far superior to the Droid. iMessage was also nice and the retina display was unmatched at the time. However, even from the get go my iPhone was plagued with issues. Battery life was horrible. The phone would freeze when I got multiple text messages in quick succession (I got the false impression from friends/family that iPhones never have software issues). Finally got a 4S replacement using my Squaretrade warranty but although the battery issue wasn't as prominent (I could get through the day now, even though I noticeably use my phone less), the freeze issues continued and now the camera seems to be operating more slowly. Maybe I got two bad iPhones but whatever the reason, iOS left a bad taste in my mouth and I longed to go back to Android.

I'm getting my GS4 in two weeks when my upgrade is available and here are the things I'm most looking forward to:

1. Screen size - The 4S is way too small for someone like me (big hands, fat fingers, bad vision). The retina display on the iPhone is nice but now there is something just as sharp but bigger too.

2. MicroSD card - Huge plus for me. Having a 16gb iPhone was such a limiting factor. I take a ton of pictures and after two years, those add up. I know I can just save it to the cloud but I find it infinitely easier to just store everything on an card, and just copy the files to my computer when it's full. Plus, I have a program that can rip DVD's to watch on my tablet and/or phone, which is nice but takes up a lot of space.

3. Android experience - Having tried both iOS and Android (I've had a Asus Transformer and a Nexus 7 in the past two years), I prefer Android. It may not be as simple as iOS but it certainly is more capable and infinitely more customizable. For a nerd like me, that's important.

4. It's different - Maybe it's a minor thing but I kind of like not having the same phone as every other person on the train seems to have. If I had to give a rough estimate, I'd say at least 7 out of every 10 smartphones I see are iPhones.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-04-2013 04:59 PM
    3. Android experience - Having tried both iOS and Android (I've had a Asus Transformer and a Nexus 7 in the past two years), I prefer Android. It may not be as simple as iOS but it certainly is more capable and infinitely more customizable. For a nerd like me, that's important.
    I want to counter this statement with one of my own.

If you want to do customization, custom launchers etc, there is a learning curve as long with anything else out there with this much flexibility. This is were the difficulty lies.

I think the common user won't even care about customizations and what the oem skins offer is easy enough. I don't see any fundamental difference in difficulty between IOS and Android until you decide to build your own experience with it.
    Aquila and badbrad17 like this.
    06-04-2013 05:28 PM
    I think the common user won't even care about customizations and what the oem skins offer is easy enough. I don't see any fundamental difference in difficulty between IOS and Android until you decide to build your own experience with it.
    Besides the obvious adjustments to an operating system with slightly different mechanics (such as the app drawer/homescreen relationship and widgets instead of every app on the homescreen), you're right. I think that's the beauty of it. There's a relatively low learning curve, and once you get comfortable with things, you can really start to explore the system and see what you can do.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 05:33 PM
184 12345 ...