11-04-2013 05:04 AM
184 ... 45678
tools
    Followup to Notifications annoyances, which are still my biggest gripe...

1) When I swipe down, the "Ongoing" notifications are on the top, which is annoying since they aren't important and usually say the same things. Shouldn't they be below the app notifications? Is there a way to do that?

2) I uninstalled NiLS because it just had weird rendering quirks that annoyed me. Executive Assistant+ doesn't seem to handle other notifications like those from Facebook very well. I'm going to try a few more Notification apps, but I'm still really surprised that there doesn't seem to be an awesome solution out there yet. I'd gladly pay $10 or more for a great notification app, since it's so important to me.

3) Speaking of the lock screen, is there no way to make the widget on the main lock screen auto-expand by default? It's scrunched up at the top, and I have to swipe down to expand it to make it more usable.
    I think I'm going to try executive assistant. It looks a LOT like those glass today themes you could put on Blackberry OS6. They were really useful. Another good item from this thread.
    06-05-2013 10:52 AM
    Followup to Notifications annoyances, which are still my biggest gripe...

1) When I swipe down, the "Ongoing" notifications are on the top, which is annoying since they aren't important and usually say the same things. Shouldn't they be below the app notifications? Is there a way to do that?

2) I uninstalled NiLS because it just had weird rendering quirks that annoyed me. Executive Assistant+ doesn't seem to handle other notifications like those from Facebook very well. I'm going to try a few more Notification apps, but I'm still really surprised that there doesn't seem to be an awesome solution out there yet. I'd gladly pay $10 or more for a great notification app, since it's so important to me.

3) Speaking of the lock screen, is there no way to make the widget on the main lock screen auto-expand by default? It's scrunched up at the top, and I have to swipe down to expand it to make it more usable.
    Hey Matt. I just saw this notification app. Haven't tried it but there is a trial version. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ificationslite

Sent from my Nexus 4
    06-05-2013 11:02 AM
    As for your #1, if the phone is too big for you, then that's your personal preference. I personally find the iPhone to be too small to get anything done on the screen.

I disagree with you about #2. You can quickly see notifications from dragging down from the top and you can even do this from the lockscreen. Also, if you use a 3rd party texting app like Handcent, you can configure it to turn on the screen with a popup.

As for #4, what I like about Android is being able to tinker with everything and having control over every detail. The phone works without tinkering, but you can get it to be just how you like it, unlike Apple where you just have to use it exactly how they tell you...
    I would have to agree with effrey, I have an Iphone 5 for work and a GS4 for personal use, I find the GS4 more useful for what I need, to me the I5 is small, as in I could break it small. My GS4 displays notifications all the time, I disabled everything but text messages as i think its kinda annoying. As far as trekking goes, the I5 sucks in comparison, I love that fact I can change just about everything on the GS4. The one thing I do like about the I5 is the Itunes music. Other then that, I think the GS4 is a better phone for users who like to make their phones their own rather then an Apple standard product that is just like everyone else.
    06-05-2013 11:09 AM
    If you haven't tried iOS, you don't know what you are missing ).
    I have and I do.

FWIW, I think the notification shade in Jelly Bean has taken a step back since Gingerbread (but it's about the only thing). They've tried to stuff way to much crap in it which makes it less useful. You only want the absolute most important things in it and persistent notifications about WiFi hot spots and which features are turned on are not that important. When I pull down the shade, about 2/3 of my screen is taken up by stuff that hasn't changed, which is terrible for a feature who's whole purpose is to let you know what has changed. My guess is we'll see more and more apps popping up to help customize this shade as more people move to JB (some crazy percent of Android users are still on Gingerbread where this isn't an issue).

I'll still take that over the little numbers that pop up on the icons. If I only want to look at the icons when something has changed I'd rather it just notify me about the change than me having to look for changes. Notifications should be "pushed" not "pulled." The notification shade pushes notifications and those icons require you to pull them.

The lock screen widgets are pretty new and IMO Android doesn't handle them all that well, yet. The third party applications probably do a better job but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay for it or not, yet.

If people are getting defensive it's because they've put a lot of thought into putting together posts about how Android works just to be told, "No, Apple is better" with the only justification being that it's what you're already familiar with. Surprisingly enough people don't like putting effort into advice that was asked for just to have it be ignored.
    06-05-2013 11:47 AM
    I agree on almost all points. But honestly, the best Android phone that money can buy isn't the HTC One or the S4. It's the Nexus 4.
    Needs to be on Verizon. Nexus 4 isn't an option.
    06-05-2013 12:22 PM
    You only want the absolute most important things in it and persistent notifications about WiFi hot spots and which features are turned on are not that important. When I pull down the shade, about 2/3 of my screen is taken up by stuff that hasn't changed, which is terrible for a feature who's whole purpose is to let you know what has changed.
    Exactly! I swipe down to see what is new, and almost my whole screen is the ongoing notifications. I have to scroll to see the stuff that is important. IMO, the ongoing notifications should be UNDER the current notifications, not on top of them. That only makes sense.

I'll still take that over the little numbers that pop up on the icons. If I only want to look at the icons when something has changed I'd rather it just notify me about the change than me having to look for changes. Notifications should be "pushed" not "pulled." The notification shade pushes notifications and those icons require you to pull them.
    iOS actually does both push and pull. An app notifies me with a popup that a new game can be played, or that I have a message. I can dismiss the message, but still see the icon number to remind me how many tasks I have remaining for that app. That's very handy, IMO. Because I often want to dismiss the immediate message, but still be aware of my outstanding stuff to do. The icons remind me of that, whereas on Android if I dismiss the messages I can't get a sense of my "to do" list.

But, a few people have suggested Nova launcher which I guess has that icon number feature, so I plan to try that out, too.
    06-05-2013 12:27 PM
    Needs to be on Verizon. Nexus 4 isn't an option.
    Sadly so. I really wanted that phone
    06-05-2013 01:36 PM
    After over 3 weeks of usage, if I had to describe the S4 in one word it would be OVERRATED.

The screen pops in color and all but the quality seems a little off compared to HTC screens with the same 1080p resolution.
    TouchWiz lags too much. Like WAY too much. The stutters are noticeable and apps crash because of it. (Not enough RAM?)
    Camera photos come out not as sharp as I would like at 13MP. There is a grainy-ness I noticed in all photos I've taken.
    The build quality is ok. The plastic is obviously low grade but my biggest concern is the power button. After 3 weeks, it is recessed ALREADY! It isn't as tactile anymore.

The Air Gestures, Eye Scrolling, etc are truly gimmicks now that I've had them on for a full test run.
    1. They don't always work.
    2. When they do work, it is very specific and fiddly.
    I just leave them turned off.

I'll keep the phone. It is clearly better than the S3 but so are all other phones (iPhone 5, HTC Droid DNA, Note 2, HTC One) on the market before the S4.
    jgbutke likes this.
    06-05-2013 03:49 PM
    Any news yet about when Verizon will get the HTC One?
    06-05-2013 04:32 PM
    <smart **** answer> Sometime between now and the end of the world</smart **** answer>

No news except what has already been provided.. This summer
    06-05-2013 04:35 PM
    Actually, it looks like the HTC M4 might be what I really want
    HTC M4 vs HTC One: wait for Verizon, or wait even longer? - SlashGear
    06-05-2013 04:37 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what you, or anyone else, thinks you'll gain by going to the One. The only possible issue it may address is the NFC tag issue, but I couldn't find a quick, definitive answer on whether or not the One supports more tag types than the S4. Nearly everything else you brought up would either also be present on the One or easily fixed by installing a different launcher. I understand the smaller form factor of the M4, but the normal One is about the same size as the S4. If you were complaining about not enough internal storage, the sound quality of the speaker or the camera performance in low light then the One would be worth considering. Otherwise it's mostly some cosmetic things (easily fixed by changing launchers) or features/gimmicks that you haven't mentioned.
    06-05-2013 04:59 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what you, or anyone else, thinks you'll gain by going to the One.
    Not things talked about in this thread, necessarily. But I think it looks and feels better with the metal case. It also has a wider angle lens on the camera, which I especially like. I don't care about megapixels nearly as much as how many people I can fit into a picture.
    06-05-2013 05:04 PM
    But I think it looks and feels better with the metal case.
    I want to find the morons who are in these marketing focus groups who are telling phone makers that they want the backs of their phone to be frictionless. I don't care what it's made of (the relatively giant glass screen is way more likely to break than the casing), but the back should be borderline sticky. You know what the best protection against drops is? Not dropping your phone in the first place. It's the only thing I truly miss about my Droid X2.

It also has a wider angle lens on the camera, which I especially like. I don't care about megapixels nearly as much as how many people I can fit into a picture.
    So it's less about picture quality and more about not having to stand too far away from your friends?

I'm kidding about the camera thing...well sort of. Perhaps the chances of me being in the position where I'm really limited as to how far away from whatever it is I'm photographing are unusually low. "I might have to take a couple extra literal steps when taking pictures" seems like an odd reason to pick one phone over the other. I don't have anything against the HTC One, but for how minor the differences are I'm not sure it's worth selling your phone or waiting months to get it. If they were both out now it would be one thing, but falling into the trap of always thinking that another phone will make you happier can be a downside to Android.
    06-05-2013 05:39 PM
    Interesting that you're leaning towards keeping the S4. When I moved from the iphone to Android I also kept the Android phone but there was considerable buyers remorse for about a month after the no return date had passed. It took at least that long for my comfort level to finally set in and to realize that I liked this phone and then the further realization that I actually liked it better than my old iphone.

The other thing you said that that the iphone experience out of the box was better than Android was telling. Once my knowledge level had risen to a comfortable level I found the Android experience to the iphone (out of the box) to be superior. I know what I want and I now know how to get there and to do it quickly. I stuck with the iphone out of the box because that's the way it worked. Personally, I find that Android gives me what I want, the way I want it. Iphone's comfort level came because I had accepted the way it was because I had no other options. I've learned to love those options, it just took some time.

Hope you end up with what you want, no matter what you decide. Phones are a personal experience and it seems that no two of us ever wants it exactly the same, and that is what makes the world go round.
    Edge1978 likes this.
    06-05-2013 05:56 PM

The other thing you said that that the iphone experience out of the box was better than Android was telling. Once my knowledge level had risen to a comfortable level I found the Android experience to the iphone (out of the box) to be superior. I know what I want and I now know how to get there and to do it quickly. I stuck with the iphone out of the box because that's the way it worked. Personally, I find that Android gives me what I want, the way I want it. Iphone's comfort level came because I had accepted the way it was because I had no other options. I've learned to love those options, it just took some time.

Hope you end up with what you want, no matter what you decide. Phones are a personal experience and it seems that no two of us ever wants it exactly the same, and that is what makes the world go round.
    This is how I felt when we got our Iphone5 for work, I had several droids and now have the S4, when we got the I5, it was like, is that all? I have had the S4 for a few weeks now, and I am still tweeking it with new tips and tricks I pick up form the AC forum people.
    06-05-2013 06:43 PM
    This is how I felt when we got our Iphone5 for work, I had several droids and now have the S4, when we got the I5, it was like, is that all? I have had the S4 for a few weeks now, and I am still tweeking it with new tips and tricks I pick up form the AC forum people.
    To me a jailbroken iPhone is akin to a stock Android phone. I have an endless list if tweaks that I can try. I have my phone set up the way I want to. I love the fact that my phone is now swipe based just like the new blackberry. I hardly use any of the buttons. I only use the button to wake up my phone or start it. Everything else is swipe, swipe, swipe. Love it. I have the cohesiveness and smoothness of IOS and the flexibility of Android. And the jailbreak on the iPhone 5 is very stable.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    06-05-2013 06:57 PM
    I can't fit the S4 when I wear these.

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Sc...ans-shorts.jpg
    ROFL. Best post ever
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-06-2013 12:02 AM
    I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet but I used LockerPro for a time which displays all your notifications on a lockscreen replacement. There's even an option to wake the phone when you get an incoming notification.
    You can get it here.

There's a free version to try out here.

It's been awhile since I've used it though, so I'm not sure how it'll perform with the latest updates.

Edit: Just installed it again on my S4, and so far so good.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-06-2013 08:00 AM
    When using a lock screen app like LockerPro, why does my lock screen sometimes show the old one for a second, then switch to LockerPro? That's kind of annoying, isn't it? Any way to fix that?
    06-06-2013 09:12 AM
    When using a lock screen app like LockerPro, why does my lock screen sometimes show the old one for a second, then switch to LockerPro? That's kind of annoying, isn't it? Any way to fix that?
    The best way of fixing that is disabling the stock lock screen. Go to system Settings > My Device tab > Lock screen > Screen Lock > Select None at the bottom.

Once that's done, you can go into LockerPro settings > Lockscreen > scroll to the bottom and select Block home button. Follow prompts so that the home button has no effect when the LockerPro lock screen is displayed to prevent accidental button clicks.

The only real nit I have with LockerPro, or any of the notification lockscreen apps for that matter, is that dismissing the notification from the lockscreen app doesn't actually dismiss the notification from the tray (unless you actually open the notification of course). Just a little annoyance but nothing that bothers me that much not to use it I think.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-06-2013 09:17 AM
    The best way of fixing that ...
    Thanks... so LockerPro really isn't a lock screen? It's just an app that runs when the lock screen is displayed? I never noticed that the home button actually unlocked the phone and went to my home screen. I'm confused about how exactly LockerPro is working.

The only real nit I have with LockerPro, or any of the notification lockscreen apps for that matter, is that dismissing the notification from the lockscreen app doesn't actually dismiss the notification from the tray (unless you actually open the notification of course). Just a little annoyance but nothing that bothers me that much not to use it I think.
    This is a huge annoyance to me. Is it not possible for LockerPro to clear the real notifications also? This is an advantage of the iPhone ecosystem, IMO. Since they control everything, it's all integrated together nicely. I don't have the feeling like I'm just hacking different things together and making something that kind of works. With apps like LockerPro, I get that old lock screen showing problem, the notification clearing problem, and even side-effects of running an Accessibility service. It's not all nice and smooth.

And for me (which might be obvious by now in this thread), notifications are critical. I'd say that one of the primary things I use my phone for, is to receive updates from apps and services that alert me to things I want to know about. So, efficiently handling that constant push of information is critical to me, and I'm still trying to find the best way to do it in Android. I have hope that it's possible, but I just haven't found the right solution yet. LockerPro seems close, but it apparently still doesn't do the basic function of showing me the full text of text messages that come in. I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting, or what...
    06-06-2013 10:37 AM
    Thanks... so LockerPro really isn't a lock screen? It's just an app that runs when the lock screen is displayed? I never noticed that the home button actually unlocked the phone and went to my home screen. I'm confused about how exactly LockerPro is working.

This is a huge annoyance to me. Is it not possible for LockerPro to clear the real notifications also? This is an advantage of the iPhone ecosystem, IMO. Since they control everything, it's all integrated together nicely. I don't have the feeling like I'm just hacking different things together and making something that kind of works. With apps like LockerPro, I get that old lock screen showing problem, the notification clearing problem, and even side-effects of running an Accessibility service. It's not all nice and smooth.

And for me (which might be obvious by now in this thread), notifications are critical. I'd say that one of the primary things I use my phone for, is to receive updates from apps and services that alert me to things I want to know about. So, efficiently handling that constant push of information is critical to me, and I'm still trying to find the best way to do it in Android. I have hope that it's possible, but I just haven't found the right solution yet. LockerPro seems close, but it apparently still doesn't do the basic function of showing me the full text of text messages that come in. I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting, or what...

Precisely. I uninstalled LockerPro and many other apps because they don't work well together. I got a lot of LAG with lockerpro even after disabling the stock lock screen. It wasn't as responsive and sometimes never end locked my screen after pressing it. I agree. IOS is better put together which makes the user experience a little smoother.
    06-06-2013 11:36 AM
    A lot of the lock screen replacement apps don't actually replace the stock lock screen since it is at the system level. I believe that's just not possible without perhaps some coding changes or perhaps gaining access to root (someone else might be able to clarify or correct me, I'm not that knowledgeable in that area of Android). They are essentially apps that act like a lock screen. It's why they aren't completely 100% integrated as you'd expect and it's probably why I don't really ever use them often.

At least without gaining root access, Android doesn't really integrate nicely at the system level with third party lock screens but at least the options are still there for you to use.

I'm not entirely sure about displaying full text messages. I don't believe that's possible without one of the already mentioned third party SMS apps.

Your issue seems to stem from what is apart of Android design philosophy...that is unobtrusive notifications which you can choose to acknowledge or ignore at will through a unified notification tray. Google enhanced notifications considerably in Jelly Bean by making them expandable and actionable. However, it's a matter of OEMs and developers to take advantage of those APIs. Despite the enhancements, the original "unobtrusive" notification design remains the same. No matter where you are in the system, even from the lock screen, the notification tray is just one swipe down away. Unfortunately, Android's method of handling notifications doesn't seem to work for you.

While I respect your opinion, you're trying to turn the Android/TouchWiz experience into something it's not. As the old clich goes, " you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole." Hopefully you can get used to it and perhaps even enjoy it in time, but it is what it is.
    06-06-2013 12:44 PM
    Hi Mattkruse & everyone else here - I've been following this thread for a bit as I'm in the same boat as you Matt. Well, lets say I WAS in the same boat. I'm a former
    iPhone 4s user and have recently switched and have had the Galaxy S4 for a week. The first few hours and days I was in LOVE. The screen size is perfect compared to iPhone and the camera features and other features are super cool (IF they work). Well, I'm learning now that the S4 has a mind of its own. Some pros and cons:

Pros
    - Screen size
    - Camera takes good pics
    - Extra customization
    - LED notification light
    - Amazing battery life

Cons
    - The volume goes up and down on its own when I'm on a phone call and sometimes listening to music
    - When on a call I hear echos and people have complained that the sound is bad
    - I'm getting repeat texts messages that were sent yesterday
    - When I close out of an app and select the home button it goes to some random app that I didn't even touch
    - Some of the features like eye scroll, etc. don't work...pretty gimmicky
    - When I place the phone down after its been locked the screen comes on with a random app as well
    - Work microsoft email takes FOREVER to load.

I've done a reset, have read the forums and taken the recommended steps, etc.to optimize performance and the issues are still there SO.....

Being a former iphone user I thought I'd give S4 a shot because I've gotten sort of bored with iOs and what it has to offer, however, when I think about it I really only use the phone for calls, text messaging, FB/social media and picture taking. I occasionally like to change my wallpaper pic as well, lol. The FB app on the S4 is a pain for many reasons. It just works easier with iPhone. The camera on the S4, although 13 mp, I'm finding that the iPhone photos are more clear, bright and vivid. So what else do I really need? I like the idea of customization, however, what is the point of having to spend hours on a phone to customize it how you want? With iPhone everything really just does work. It's simple, sleek and smooth.

I think I'll sacrifice the big screen, led light etc. for a phone that just "works".

Just wanted to give feedback on what I thought of the switch to S4 and to let you know Mattkruse that I'm feeling your pain, lol. The S4 is a great phone for some but for me, I'll stick to the iPhone. You really can't go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    McSkullough likes this.
    06-06-2013 01:10 PM
184 ... 45678