11-04-2013 05:04 AM
184 ... 678
tools
    Sorry I never trust anyone with donuts in their user name. Sheesh. Chill out and get a sense of humour.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    I am not trying to be mean, but you didn't make any indication that it was a joke in your post.

Posted via Android Central App
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-08-2013 11:36 PM
    1. So you are just using the stock Mail on your Mac then? If you are Companion Link won't support it. But it does Outlook for Mac. If you are just using Gmail it becomes even easier.

2. I would suggest giving Google Music a try. There are some excellent features that allow you to have up to 25gb of music stored on the cloud. So much easier and you can continue to use itunes.

3. You don't really need to press the sync button. It will sync your phone and keep your account backed up. But this is different than the HTC system cloud backup. This works more like iCloud and only on HTC devices. So it would be similar to the iPhone situation. Alternatively you can also try the Helium app to do backups which would allow you to do a restore to any android device.

4. There are very few smartphones that have great battery life. The Note 2 and RAZR Maxx are the best. But with some practice you will learn to know how to get the most out of your phone. LTE and GPS are the biggest culprits. Just make sure that if off when you don't use it. My 2 girls both have iphone 5's and the battery on there phones has been horrible. Granted it seems like they are on them all the time. But they can't make it until 5pm.

One question. Did you say you were using the power saver feature that HTC has on your phone currently? This does help a fair bit too. Easy Battery of Juice Defender may not do too much more in this regard but give them a try and see how it works out.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    1. yes sir stock mail. i am only into android a week so far. if i stay with it, i will give serious consideration to greater gmail integration. i have had myname@gmail.com for many years, but it's a mostly unused account.

2. i still don't understand what my phone is doing with music. when i plugged into my desktop this morning, i saw that music was stored in two places: syncr and another folder deep inside the android. i don't think either one were actually in the 'music' folder of the device oddly enough. i blame myself. i have tried two methods, thus far, for adding music to the phone (for alarms and ringtones only as of now). i am not too concerned about it. i don't intend to use my phone for listening to music. i have far too much music (130GB) and a tiny ipod nano for workouts and travel. of course if i had an iphone, and easier sync capabilities, that might be a different story.

3. i think i will buy/try helium when i decide once and for all to keep this phone. of course i am still on the fence...

4. "Just make sure that if off when you don't use it" this is something i am still unsure about with android. does leaving an app close it? or does pressing on the home screen and flicking away open apps close them? it seems if i open my battery settings there are a number of things using power that i either haven't opened or thought i closed. i tried EASY BATTERY SAVER yesterday and uninstalled it when i realized it was disabling my K-9 email sync. i opened the advance settings and it was a bit overwhelming so i balked. it did seem to work however during the time i had it installed. battery drain seemed to slow. but maybe this phone is too new to really tell yet.

i am not using the stock battery conserve button. i did use it one day, and did not notice any difference in phone or battery performance.

i have spent an inordinate amount of time reading comparisons between the iphone and htc one. i continue to lean toward android for a myriad of previously cited reasons. that being said, the iphone has it's obvious allure especially for a life-long apple computer user. add to that, that a new iphone is less than 90 days away and you can feel my pain.

thanks again for all of your help and guidance!
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-09-2013 01:08 PM
    I am not trying to be mean, but you didn't make any indication that it was a joke in your post.

Posted via Android Central App
    Any time I say Donuts it's supposed to be funny. DONUT!

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-09-2013 11:30 PM
    I've been an iPhone user for years, but I despise Apple and especially iTunes. I'm a software engineer, and the promise of an open phone OS with endless possibilities lured me to Android. I got the S4 a week ago, and the transition has been anything but painless. I'm really considering switching back to the iPhone5, and here's why:

1. The S4 is just too big. It doesn't fit in my pocket nicely, and it's not comfortable to hold with one hand. It's awkward, and I often feel like I might drop it.

2. Notifications suck. I love the way iPhone did it - when I get new text messages, the screen lit up and I could see the message right there. If I received multiple messages, I could see them all. If I got Facebook comments, they were there too. All stacked up and scannable without unlocking or going to different apps. This is VERY important to me, because I receive a lot of updates about a lot of things, and I don't want to constantly fiddle with my phone to see them. I have it on my desk and I want to quickly glance to see what came in, then move on. I've tried a few lock screen notification apps, but none seem to work perfectly.

3. Hardware mute. I really miss this on the S4. I like having a hardware toggle switch to mute my phone if it's going off in a meeting or something. I like being able to mute it in my pocket without having to touch the screen at all. IMO, this should be a REQUIRED feature on all phone hardware.

4. Endless tinkering. I've already spent many hours trying apps, reading about Android, messing with widgets, etc. My hope was that I could get it setup exactly how I want, then never have to tinker again, but that doesn't seem like how it will go. I'm still trying to make the user interface something that I think is usable! It just seems so clunky to me, compared to the smooth and efficient interface of the iPhone.

5. App count badges (minor). I loved the little red indicator on each app, telling me how many games I have to play in WWF or how many notifications I have in another app. I miss this easy indicator in Android.

Listen... I love the potential of Android. I get it. It seems like I should be in love with it, but when it comes down to it, I just want a phone that is really usable out of the box. I don't want to have to find 10 different apps to replace the default functionality. I don't want to spend hours messing with the layout of widgets, home screens, and lock screens.

When I REALLY want is either:
    - An Android UI that is well designed and consistent across the whole system, removing all the little productivity annoyances
    or
    - An iPhone that is not so locked down and controlled by Apple.

I have not (yet) rooted my S4, but that sounds like just one more thing to consume my time in the quest for a usable phone.
    I've also never jailbroken my iPhones in the past, but I'm wondering if a jailbroken iPhone5 really is nirvana.

Any thoughts? What am I missing that might make me want to stay with the S4+Android?

Thanks,

Matt
    #1 felt the same way a year ago. But now it feels just right. Most touch functions usually happens on the lower half of the screen. No problem using it single handedly. Plus I like the way the power button is located at the sides making one hand usage easier as compared to the iphone.

#2 Sliding down the status bar works for me in a cleaner way than apple can come up but I do get your point of not touching your phone to get updated.

#3 I don't encounter this problem but pressing the volume button down does the job of silencing your phone pretty well.

#4 how do you want your screen to look like to be usable?
    07-10-2013 07:58 AM
    I'd day do what feels right for you. ignore the trolls and be happy with your device choice.
    I switched to android about 3 weeks ago from having every iphone ever made.
    Yes, there are plenty of things I love about iOS. and there are things I have a great love / hate relationship with on Both OS'
    If Apple would release a 5" screen. I would switch back. The only thing I hated about Apple was 2 years of the Same phone, and that tiny 4" screen.
    I am IN LOVE with the 5" screen on the S4. I won't be going back til Apple wakes up and gives me the phone I WANT not the phone they think I need.
    and the swype keyboard on the S4. love it!
    /highfive... you win the internetz today!!! this quote tells exactly how i feel... ive had iphones for years, ( iphone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and iphone 5). it took me awhile but i realized that the iphone is the same damn phone, just a new name! i now have an S4 and love it... To the OP... if you want to switch back to the iphone, then do it. its your phone, you should be happy with its functionality. i will always prefer the IOS UI, but i use the S4 as my phone because it fits my media lifestyle so much better than Apple!!!
    saichick04 likes this.
    07-26-2013 10:22 AM
    /highfive... you win the internetz today!!! this quote tells exactly how i feel... ive had iphones for years, ( iphone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and iphone 5). it took me awhile but i realized that the iphone is the same damn phone, just a new name! i now have an S4 and love it... To the OP... if you want to switch back to the iphone, then do it. its your phone, you should be happy with its functionality. i will always prefer the IOS UI, but i use the S4 as my phone because it fits my media lifestyle so much better than Apple!!!
    You are sooo right! My girlfriend and I got new phones at the same time. She purchased the iphone 5 and I the S4. To this day, she's got screen resolution envy! Keeps raving about how things are much clearer on the S4 than on her IP5.

J
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-26-2013 11:38 AM
    I couldn't agree more. I gave it my best shot but I am looking for a way back. You hit the nail on the head and it's good to know it wasn't just me.
    Notsosure likes this.
    09-11-2013 11:42 PM
    i totally understand how you felt..although this is my share and why i actually ended up switching back to 4S:

1. samsung skype can't call contacts' numbers directly
    2. no lock screen camera/apps; to have lock screen apps = no security. (yes I knew there are apps out there that addresses the issues, but after spending 3 hours, $5 to buy customized builds that disappointed me, and checking out at least 3 apps, none of them offers the balance of looks, simplicity, security, entire choices of apps, speed) you can still recommend me apps if you want.
    3. my sms function crashed several times. it's extremely frustrating because i'll have to wait for it to lag-load itself..and technically the point of sms is speedy and instantaneous exchange and response.
    4. can't make in-car call through bluetooth pairing (if you've got a solution, let's hear)...check #12 for my worst rant
    5. can't use in-car usb device properly
    6. even though replaceable, the battery dies quick. carrying a spare battery is such an hassle
    7. can't read song titles properly (downloaded an app for this..but seriously, do i have to do research everytime for everything that i wanted to do?)
    8. slower response due to android software (there's a website which compared response times, and ios did have the fastest time of all, followed by the s4..but still significantly different...i think around 70-80 ms)
    9. lot less versatile keyboard and writing pad. word choices offered<autocorrect(even though this thing screwed me over couple times)..(best comparison is that perhaps i did get used to the ios typing interface..but i can literally type like its my second nature without looking down..and it'd come out exactly what i want)
    10. music randomly played often go back to the same pattern
    11. music sync issues (i can have 100 items on my playlist, but only 17 gets transferred. i'd have to do the rest by hand)
    12. the WORST thing of all was the pairing of the system with the in-car audio not working properly when im using my GPS. it's happened at least twice where while the audio for music works fine, when i use my GPS with my in-car audio player, this is what happens:
    "at 200m, ---------"
    in other words, the most important part of the message, which is the instructions to go where or make which direction, GETS cut off with NO instructions. it just simply left me hanging "at 200m, then what??", and we all know when you're driving and especially on a highway where you needed to know where to go, this is disastrous.
    i'm sorry samsung, but i'm not ready to let myself get killed in traffic by this software bug. i tried google map and waiz(the handy gps software), and both had the same issues.

i personally played with computers often, changing registries, cracking, researching and looking things up on my own. i had no problem with needing to find solutions...but then as you can see, a lot of my issues are things that probably can't be exactly addressed..
    i use my phone in a very speedy and efficient manner, and if i feel i have to look down to type and it takes more maneuvering and attention than usual to get what i wanted, then it's hassle.
    10-26-2013 11:20 PM
    I think it has all been said but for me i mostly hate the fact that i cant make a proper backup with Android. I hate Galaxy S4 and without rooting (which i dont want to do for several reasons) its still not possible to do proper backup in Android which is something that has puzzled me. Seriously Google need to have this in place!
    I spent hours and hours to get all my 100+ aps, widgets, backgrounds and everything as i waned and when i switch from S3 to S4 i had to do it all over again, and when i made a refresh again i had to do it, with iphone its a matter of restoreing old backup. Google only download you application (not sure even if all are there or just payed ones) but not the userdata itself.
    Same goes with all the tinkering of things, i also enjoy the simple side of things. I love Android for the possibility to customize like having Swypekey (my best of the best app that i dearly miss in iOS) i still like the simplicity of iOS and how much more efficient i can go from one thing to another and how much smoother iOS is (ok iOS7 isnt that good yet but it will get there).
    Today i have both S4 and iphone5S and my go to phone is the iPhone5S as my default. Its just easier with everything like iMessage, taking pictures end up better most of the times, icloud works seamlessly, i know i have proper backup in case i need to restore, i get updated when they are out and not months later (i still wait for 4.3 which most other already have on their S4), my apps dont make the phone unstable (like spotify, i have to even restart the phone to get it working). There are many benefit with Android of course but most of the times the most basic things are what makes people decide what phone they stick to and that is one reason iphones/iOS is still not to shabby even when limited in some areas.
    11-04-2013 05:04 AM
184 ... 678