After 1 week, I might go back to iPhone. Here's why...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you know he's not the world texting champion? Therefore, he doesn't have the same dexterity, hands, or capabilities as that person. So maybe he's faster with a physical keyboard as opposed to an on-screen one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Did you realize I was just making a comment and was not trying to act like he or anyone was somehow inadequate if they choose to use something else? :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I did not very interesting I'll restate then personally for comfort not speed blackberry keyboards are still preferred

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
Ya my wife and daughter could fly on their blackberries. My daughter could type away while talking to you. Very strange yet amazing. She has an iPhone now. Seems to do okay with it. I've found it always takes a bit to get used to any new keyboard. I couldn't type to save my life on their BB's but know that after a month it would feel normal.

Sent from my Nexus 4

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I hated the iphone keyboard. It plain and simply sucked, almost as bad as the default Samsung keyboard.

The keys are just too small

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Wtf kind of pants do you wear that you can fit a nexus 7 in them ???? Parachute pants ?!?!?!

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Normal pants. Have you ever tried it?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mattkruse

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Some of you need to realize that the OPs post is not a guy attacking your kids with a chain saw, you know? It's just a phone, remember? I promise you a better one IS going to come along and very likely before the end of this year. So why the defensiveness?

Heh, isn't defensiveness the "Internet Way"? :) Actually, this thread has been pretty civil and helpful, IMO.

It may surprise some of you, but I am actually leaning towards keeping my S4. It's still a bit big for me, but I'm learning to accept it. I've found a few apps that come close to making notifications work how I would like them to. (And personally, I don't feel that I'm just used to the iOS notifications and finding it hard to switch... I really think their way is way better [for me]. If you haven't tried iOS, you don't know what you are missing ;) ).

And most importantly, though I haven't had the time to find every app that I want to make it perfect, or pick a ROM that I want to use, or install a new launcher, or even consider rooting... I now know what is possible, and I have a feel for how time-consuming it will be and what I will get. So even though the phone isn't how I want it right now, I am becoming pretty comfortable with the fact that it will be possible to make it work how I want it to. Even if it takes me a little while.

So for the short term, I still miss my iPhone. There are a lot of things that I think are just easier, and I just don't have enough free time to mess with my S4 enough to make all the right choices. But the promise of an even better experience is making me think I'll stay where I'm at, and trust that I'll get there.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The fastest typing is dragon naturally speaking if they made it for android.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Have you used Google voice search to type? Ironically I just finished reading a page of text into an email for my daughters homework assignment. I sent it to my Gmail account, then cut and pasted it into a word document. Amazingly accurate. You can even add punctuation.

Sent from my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Heh, isn't defensiveness the "Internet Way"? :) Actually, this thread has been pretty civil and helpful, IMO.

It may surprise some of you, but I am actually leaning towards keeping my S4. It's still a bit big for me, but I'm learning to accept it. I've found a few apps that come close to making notifications work how I would like them to. (And personally, I don't feel that I'm just used to the iOS notifications and finding it hard to switch... I really think their way is way better [for me]. If you haven't tried iOS, you don't know what you are missing ;) ).

And most importantly, though I haven't had the time to find every app that I want to make it perfect, or pick a ROM that I want to use, or install a new launcher, or even consider rooting... I now know what is possible, and I have a feel for how time-consuming it will be and what I will get. So even though the phone isn't how I want it right now, I am becoming pretty comfortable with the fact that it will be possible to make it work how I want it to. Even if it takes me a little while.

So for the short term, I still miss my iPhone. There are a lot of things that I think are just easier, and I just don't have enough free time to mess with my S4 enough to make all the right choices. But the promise of an even better experience is making me think I'll stay where I'm at, and trust that I'll get there.
Great to hear. I bet in a month you will be much happier. I have a friend who went from a BB curve to a Note 2. Talk about massive size increase. She originally found it way too big. She couldn't deal with it and wanted to return it. In Canada it's harder to return a phone as its up to the store where you bought it. She went back and they said no. So she kept it and planned to give it to her son in 2 months when he was due for an upgrade. But after a month she absolutely loved the phone and the larger screen. She said she was so used to it that she would never buy a smaller phone again.

This may not happen to you but I hope it does. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
1. The S4 is just too big. It doesn't fit in my pocket nicely, and it's not comfortable to hold with one hand. It's awkward, and I often feel like I might drop it.

I love the Note 2 and disappointed that Samsung (hTc) are increasing it to 5.9" but then hTc released the One and now think 4.7" is the sweet spot. I didn't love or kept the the S3 or One X[ long enough to realized it.

2. Notifications suck. I love the way iPhone did it - when I get new text messages, the screen lit up and I could see the message right there. If I received multiple messages, I could see them all. If I got Facebook comments, they were there too. All stacked up and scannable without unlocking or going to different apps. This is VERY important to me, because I receive a lot of updates about a lot of things, and I don't want to constantly fiddle with my phone to see them. I have it on my desk and I want to quickly glance to see what came in, then move on. I've tried a few lock screen notification apps, but none seem to work perfectly.

3. Hardware mute. I really miss this on the S4. I like having a hardware toggle switch to mute my phone if it's going off in a meeting or something. I like being able to mute it in my pocket without having to touch the screen at all. IMO, this should be a REQUIRED feature on all phone hardware.

Two key features I forgot Apple have over android.

4. Endless tinkering. I've already spent many hours trying apps, reading about Android, messing with widgets, etc. My hope was that I could get it setup exactly how I want, then never have to tinker again, but that doesn't seem like how it will go. I'm still trying to make the user interface something that I think is usable! It just seems so clunky to me, compared to the smooth and efficient interface of the iPhone.

Disagree! IMO this is what I LOVE about android it keeps it FRESH.

5. App count badges (minor). I loved the little red indicator on each app, telling me how many games I have to play in WWF or how many notifications I have in another app. I miss this easy indicator in Android.

TeslaUnread app fixes this issue and are we forgetting about Notification Light.

Matt

Great thread OP.

After the DISAPPOINTING leaked iOS 7, it's looks like Apple is STILL not ready for change. :(

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Regarding Samsung Touchwiz, I hated it, coming from Sense whateveritwas on my original Desire to TW on my S2 was a big step backwards in terms of out of the box usability, fantastic phone but dull as dirt. That got a Nova makeover and so did my Galaxy tab as soon as I got it. Jumping from the S2 to the HTC One was another culture shock and initially, that got the Nova treatment too, although now I have spent some time with it I am beginning to appreciate the subtleties and fluidity of the latest Sense.

The move from S2 to One also threw up the issue of size, much like the op experienced. Like I said before, you get so used to things being a certain way and then when they change it feels unnatural and alien and there is a period of discomfort. That period though, is short and quickly forgotten, you get used to it and then you don't even remember it ever being different in the first place. I cannot, for example, ever imagine being comfortable using a Note, but people do use them and very few seem to complain about it.

My One does still fit in my pocket, not as snugly as the S2 did, but it fits. Please don't ever post that picture ever again. Ever.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I miss my q9m keyboard the most....
Hey one think apple does need to address as it is a PITA is why don't they put apps in alphabetical order? To me that is just a common thing that all devices should do, or at least give you that option.
I am fat. All phones fit in my pockets lol......

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Heh, isn't defensiveness the "Internet Way"? :) Actually, this thread has been pretty civil and helpful, IMO..

Well, for a thread on an internet forum, yeah it has been. If you want to see a bunch of kids fighting, go to the Blackberry forums. It's appalling.

I mentioned Windows Phone a while ago, and a reply mentioned that the notifcations kinda sucked. And yeah they do, but it's not like they don't exist. When you get a text or email, what Microsoft calls a toast pops up at the top, sort of like the Android notification bar - even on the lock screen. Touch that and you are taken to the notifying app. Even on phones that have an LED (HTC 8X for instance) the LED does not blink for a message or missed call. Otherwise it's a very good experience, and I keep going back to the Lumia 928 for that frankly beautiful screen and the OS. It's as elegant as iOS, but without the old-school clunkiness. Android does allow you more flexibility, but it's an exercise in patience to make it look as cohesive as W8 looks out of the box. It's worth it though. But I'm not giving up W8 :)

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The fastest typing is dragon naturally speaking if they made it for android.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mNvbS5udWFuY2Uuc3d5cGUuZHRjIl0&token=_XFI9dR8.

Swype+Dragon...I use it all the time..my go-to keyboard.

To the OP -
Matt, one thing you might try if you stick with the S4 is a lockscreen replacement. I use WidgetLocker, you can add any of your widgets to your lockscreen. You could then put a silence toggle widget on your lockscreen. I know not as "one handed" as reaching into your pocket and moving a switch, but as others have said, it's just a different way of doing things.
Also, someone else mentioned Handcent for SMS...It's what I use as well, it will give you a pop up for messages. You might want to give that a try.
One other thing - you mentioned apps "fighting each other" regarding notifications. If you do choose to use a third party SMS app, make sure you go into the default Samsung Messaging app and turn off notifications...otherwise you will get notifications from both apps and it will understandably drive you crazy.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Great thread OP.

After the DISAPPOINTING leaked iOS 7, it's looks like Apple is STILL not ready for change. :(

If you look at Apple's track record change isn't something they play with in their books. It goes without saying old habits die hard. They believe their iOS is superior to all other platforms and it will be like pulling teeth to get them to change it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz