After 1 week, I might go back to iPhone. Here's why...

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The other thing you said that that the iphone experience out of the box was better than Android was telling. Once my knowledge level had risen to a comfortable level I found the Android experience to the iphone (out of the box) to be superior. I know what I want and I now know how to get there and to do it quickly. I stuck with the iphone out of the box because that's the way it worked. Personally, I find that Android gives me what I want, the way I want it. Iphone's comfort level came because I had accepted the way it was because I had no other options. I've learned to love those options, it just took some time.

Hope you end up with what you want, no matter what you decide. Phones are a personal experience and it seems that no two of us ever wants it exactly the same, and that is what makes the world go round.

This is how I felt when we got our Iphone5 for work, I had several droids and now have the S4, when we got the I5, it was like, is that all? I have had the S4 for a few weeks now, and I am still tweeking it with new tips and tricks I pick up form the AC forum people.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
This is how I felt when we got our Iphone5 for work, I had several droids and now have the S4, when we got the I5, it was like, is that all? I have had the S4 for a few weeks now, and I am still tweeking it with new tips and tricks I pick up form the AC forum people.

To me a jailbroken iPhone is akin to a stock Android phone. I have an endless list if tweaks that I can try. I have my phone set up the way I want to. I love the fact that my phone is now swipe based just like the new blackberry. I hardly use any of the buttons. I only use the button to wake up my phone or start it. Everything else is swipe, swipe, swipe. Love it. I have the cohesiveness and smoothness of IOS and the flexibility of Android. And the jailbreak on the iPhone 5 is very stable.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet but I used LockerPro for a time which displays all your notifications on a lockscreen replacement. There's even an option to wake the phone when you get an incoming notification.
You can get it here.

There's a free version to try out here.

It's been awhile since I've used it though, so I'm not sure how it'll perform with the latest updates.

Edit: Just installed it again on my S4, and so far so good.

Last edited:

mattkruse

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
When using a lock screen app like LockerPro, why does my lock screen sometimes show the old one for a second, then switch to LockerPro? That's kind of annoying, isn't it? Any way to fix that?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When using a lock screen app like LockerPro, why does my lock screen sometimes show the old one for a second, then switch to LockerPro? That's kind of annoying, isn't it? Any way to fix that?
The best way of fixing that is disabling the stock lock screen. Go to system Settings > My Device tab > Lock screen > Screen Lock > Select None at the bottom.

Once that's done, you can go into LockerPro settings > Lockscreen > scroll to the bottom and select Block home button. Follow prompts so that the home button has no effect when the LockerPro lock screen is displayed to prevent accidental button clicks.

The only real nit I have with LockerPro, or any of the notification lockscreen apps for that matter, is that dismissing the notification from the lockscreen app doesn't actually dismiss the notification from the tray (unless you actually open the notification of course). Just a little annoyance but nothing that bothers me that much not to use it I think.

mattkruse

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The best way of fixing that ...

Thanks... so LockerPro really isn't a lock screen? It's just an app that runs when the lock screen is displayed? I never noticed that the home button actually unlocked the phone and went to my home screen. I'm confused about how exactly LockerPro is working.

The only real nit I have with LockerPro, or any of the notification lockscreen apps for that matter, is that dismissing the notification from the lockscreen app doesn't actually dismiss the notification from the tray (unless you actually open the notification of course). Just a little annoyance but nothing that bothers me that much not to use it I think.

This is a huge annoyance to me. Is it not possible for LockerPro to clear the real notifications also? This is an advantage of the iPhone ecosystem, IMO. Since they control everything, it's all integrated together nicely. I don't have the feeling like I'm just hacking different things together and making something that kind of works. With apps like LockerPro, I get that old lock screen showing problem, the notification clearing problem, and even side-effects of running an Accessibility service. It's not all nice and smooth.

And for me (which might be obvious by now in this thread), notifications are critical. I'd say that one of the primary things I use my phone for, is to receive updates from apps and services that alert me to things I want to know about. So, efficiently handling that constant push of information is critical to me, and I'm still trying to find the best way to do it in Android. I have hope that it's possible, but I just haven't found the right solution yet. LockerPro seems close, but it apparently still doesn't do the basic function of showing me the full text of text messages that come in. I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting, or what...

iamchanel

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks... so LockerPro really isn't a lock screen? It's just an app that runs when the lock screen is displayed? I never noticed that the home button actually unlocked the phone and went to my home screen. I'm confused about how exactly LockerPro is working.

This is a huge annoyance to me. Is it not possible for LockerPro to clear the real notifications also? This is an advantage of the iPhone ecosystem, IMO. Since they control everything, it's all integrated together nicely. I don't have the feeling like I'm just hacking different things together and making something that kind of works. With apps like LockerPro, I get that old lock screen showing problem, the notification clearing problem, and even side-effects of running an Accessibility service. It's not all nice and smooth.

And for me (which might be obvious by now in this thread), notifications are critical. I'd say that one of the primary things I use my phone for, is to receive updates from apps and services that alert me to things I want to know about. So, efficiently handling that constant push of information is critical to me, and I'm still trying to find the best way to do it in Android. I have hope that it's possible, but I just haven't found the right solution yet. LockerPro seems close, but it apparently still doesn't do the basic function of showing me the full text of text messages that come in. I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting, or what...

Precisely. I uninstalled LockerPro and many other apps because they don't work well together. I got a lot of LAG with lockerpro even after disabling the stock lock screen. It wasn't as responsive and sometimes never end locked my screen after pressing it. I agree. IOS is better put together which makes the user experience a little smoother.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

A lot of the lock screen replacement apps don't actually replace the stock lock screen since it is at the system level. I believe that's just not possible without perhaps some coding changes or perhaps gaining access to root (someone else might be able to clarify or correct me, I'm not that knowledgeable in that area of Android). They are essentially apps that act like a lock screen. It's why they aren't completely 100% integrated as you'd expect and it's probably why I don't really ever use them often.

At least without gaining root access, Android doesn't really integrate nicely at the system level with third party lock screens but at least the options are still there for you to use.

I'm not entirely sure about displaying full text messages. I don't believe that's possible without one of the already mentioned third party SMS apps.

Your issue seems to stem from what is apart of Android design philosophy...that is unobtrusive notifications which you can choose to acknowledge or ignore at will through a unified notification tray. Google enhanced notifications considerably in Jelly Bean by making them expandable and actionable. However, it's a matter of OEMs and developers to take advantage of those APIs. Despite the enhancements, the original "unobtrusive" notification design remains the same. No matter where you are in the system, even from the lock screen, the notification tray is just one swipe down away. Unfortunately, Android's method of handling notifications doesn't seem to work for you.

While I respect your opinion, you're trying to turn the Android/TouchWiz experience into something it's not. As the old clich? goes, " you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole." Hopefully you can get used to it and perhaps even enjoy it in time, but it is what it is.

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mattkruse & everyone else here - I've been following this thread for a bit as I'm in the same boat as you Matt. Well, lets say I WAS in the same boat. I'm a former
iPhone 4s user and have recently switched and have had the Galaxy S4 for a week. The first few hours and days I was in LOVE. The screen size is perfect compared to iPhone and the camera features and other features are super cool (IF they work). Well, I'm learning now that the S4 has a mind of its own. Some pros and cons:

Pros
- Screen size
- Camera takes good pics
- Extra customization
- LED notification light
- Amazing battery life

Cons
- The volume goes up and down on its own when I'm on a phone call and sometimes listening to music
- When on a call I hear echos and people have complained that the sound is bad
- I'm getting repeat texts messages that were sent yesterday
- When I close out of an app and select the home button it goes to some random app that I didn't even touch
- Some of the features like eye scroll, etc. don't work...pretty gimmicky
- When I place the phone down after its been locked the screen comes on with a random app as well
- Work microsoft email takes FOREVER to load.

I've done a reset, have read the forums and taken the recommended steps, etc.to optimize performance and the issues are still there SO.....

Being a former iphone user I thought I'd give S4 a shot because I've gotten sort of bored with iOs and what it has to offer, however, when I think about it I really only use the phone for calls, text messaging, FB/social media and picture taking. I occasionally like to change my wallpaper pic as well, lol. The FB app on the S4 is a pain for many reasons. It just works easier with iPhone. The camera on the S4, although 13 mp, I'm finding that the iPhone photos are more clear, bright and vivid. So what else do I really need? I like the idea of customization, however, what is the point of having to spend hours on a phone to customize it how you want? With iPhone everything really just does work. It's simple, sleek and smooth.

I think I'll sacrifice the big screen, led light etc. for a phone that just "works".

Just wanted to give feedback on what I thought of the switch to S4 and to let you know Mattkruse that I'm feeling your pain, lol. The S4 is a great phone for some but for me, I'll stick to the iPhone. You really can't go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

four2x4

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
ON Item 3:
All I have to do with My stock GS3 is press the power button to mute any rings/calls etc.. that said, you can also hit the volume up/down button to do the same thing(s).

Edge1978

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that you're leaning towards keeping the S4. When I moved from the iphone to Android I also kept the Android phone but there was considerable buyers remorse for about a month after the no return date had passed. It took at least that long for my comfort level to finally set in and to realize that I liked this phone and then the further realization that I actually liked it better than my old iphone.
I'm glad to see you were experiencing what I am/was. I have had an iPhone since the 3G but I always dabbled in Android but would ultimately end up back on the iPhone. I recently switched to Verizon because my company offers a better a discount with them, and I was literallyt counting down the hours until my 14 days ended (Tuesday) LOL I was so hesitant to stay with Android, but I figured screw it. It'll take a bit and I will miss the iPhone for the first couple of weeks (maybe), but I will get used to it. So far so good.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mattkruse & everyone else here - I've been following this thread for a bit as I'm in the same boat as you Matt. Well, lets say I WAS in the same boat. I'm a former
iPhone 4s user and have recently switched and have had the Galaxy S4 for a week. The first few hours and days I was in LOVE. The screen size is perfect compared to iPhone and the camera features and other features are super cool (IF they work). Well, I'm learning now that the S4 has a mind of its own. Some pros and cons:

Pros
- Screen size
- Camera takes good pics
- Extra customization
- LED notification light
- Amazing battery life

Cons
- The volume goes up and down on its own when I'm on a phone call and sometimes listening to music
- When on a call I hear echos and people have complained that the sound is bad
- I'm getting repeat texts messages that were sent yesterday
- When I close out of an app and select the home button it goes to some random app that I didn't even touch
- Some of the features like eye scroll, etc. don't work...pretty gimmicky
- When I place the phone down after its been locked the screen comes on with a random app as well
- Work microsoft email takes FOREVER to load.

I've done a reset, have read the forums and taken the recommended steps, etc.to optimize performance and the issues are still there SO.....

Being a former iphone user I thought I'd give S4 a shot because I've gotten sort of bored with iOs and what it has to offer, however, when I think about it I really only use the phone for calls, text messaging, FB/social media and picture taking. I occasionally like to change my wallpaper pic as well, lol. The FB app on the S4 is a pain for many reasons. It just works easier with iPhone. The camera on the S4, although 13 mp, I'm finding that the iPhone photos are more clear, bright and vivid. So what else do I really need? I like the idea of customization, however, what is the point of having to spend hours on a phone to customize it how you want? With iPhone everything really just does work. It's simple, sleek and smooth.

I think I'll sacrifice the big screen, led light etc. for a phone that just "works".

Just wanted to give feedback on what I thought of the switch to S4 and to let you know Mattkruse that I'm feeling your pain, lol. The S4 is a great phone for some but for me, I'll stick to the iPhone. You really can't go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Nexus 4. That is all.

Edit: to clarify, all I'm saying is that a stock Android device (such as the N4) offers solutions to all or nearly all of the problems the user I'm quoting (and many others) is having with the S4. I'm not trolling or saying that everyone should get an N4.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 4. That is all.

Why are you in the S4 forum then?
Personally, while I don't mind the basic Google Android OS, I think it's lacking. Yes some of the OEM skins have a lot of pointless features, but they have some good ones also. Being narrow minded for only "pure" Nexus solutions seems very shortsighted. Try a few manufacturers flavors of the OS. Enjoy and relish the variety. That's what truly makes Android a better option than the competition.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why are you in the S4 forum then?
Personally, while I don't mind the basic Google Android OS, I think it's lacking. Yes some of the OEM skins have a lot of pointless features, but they have some good ones also. Being narrow minded for only "pure" Nexus solutions seems very shortsighted. Try a few manufacturers flavors of the OS. Enjoy and relish the variety. That's what truly makes Android a better option than the competition.

Posted via Android Central App

The op started all their issues with the s4 coming from iOS and prior are recommending other better suited Android devices. The n4 won't work on his network, but the one and x should be viable for near future devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jgbutke

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm only leaning to keeping it because you are (and that all the "kids" working in all the mobile stores are orgasmic over this phone, and I am afraid of being left behind the technology curve again. If the iPhone 6 were available now, I am certain I would go that way. No offense to anyone and everyone who has contributed to this forum (in fact I thank you all), but I haven't the time or desire to keep researching, redefining, trying on, and learning new crap just to get solid simple functionality. (probably not a word). Does keeping my S4 mean I have to try and retry "launchers" and "widgets" as well as "APPS"? And WTF does "rooting" mean? Why do I need to learn it or do it? I REALLY would love to "chuck" Apple into the sea and love this Android / Galaxy experience, but I have already spent more time reading this forum and "googling" what the heck you all are talking about than I did through 6 years and three models of iPhone. Why did I switch? Because my iPhone 4S was stolen in Kuala Lumpur, where it seemed like 3 out of 4 people had already switched to Galaxy phones. (Was this an "omen"? LOL) I just wish one of you smart Android / S4 fans would just set this damed phone up for me so I could resume my normal routine of being indecisive about everything else! (I'm watching you Matt)

Heh, isn't defensiveness the "Internet Way"? :) Actually, this thread has been pretty civil and helpful, IMO.

It may surprise some of you, but I am actually leaning towards keeping my S4. It's still a bit big for me, but I'm learning to accept it. I've found a few apps that come close to making notifications work how I would like them to. (And personally, I don't feel that I'm just used to the iOS notifications and finding it hard to switch... I really think their way is way better [for me]. If you haven't tried iOS, you don't know what you are missing ;) ).

And most importantly, though I haven't had the time to find every app that I want to make it perfect, or pick a ROM that I want to use, or install a new launcher, or even consider rooting... I now know what is possible, and I have a feel for how time-consuming it will be and what I will get. So even though the phone isn't how I want it right now, I am becoming pretty comfortable with the fact that it will be possible to make it work how I want it to. Even if it takes me a little while.

So for the short term, I still miss my iPhone. There are a lot of things that I think are just easier, and I just don't have enough free time to mess with my S4 enough to make all the right choices. But the promise of an even better experience is making me think I'll stay where I'm at, and trust that I'll get there.

jgbutke

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
If you could change your decision today (after three weeks, or more), would you choose iPhone 5 (knowing iPhone 5S or 6 are likely out later this year)?

After over 3 weeks of usage, if I had to describe the S4 in one word it would be OVERRATED.

The screen pops in color and all but the quality seems a little off compared to HTC screens with the same 1080p resolution.
TouchWiz lags too much. Like WAY too much. The stutters are noticeable and apps crash because of it. (Not enough RAM?)
Camera photos come out not as sharp as I would like at 13MP. There is a grainy-ness I noticed in all photos I've taken.
The build quality is ok. The plastic is obviously low grade but my biggest concern is the power button. After 3 weeks, it is recessed ALREADY! It isn't as tactile anymore.

The Air Gestures, Eye Scrolling, etc are truly gimmicks now that I've had them on for a full test run.
1. They don't always work.
2. When they do work, it is very specific and fiddly.
I just leave them turned off.

I'll keep the phone. It is clearly better than the S3 but so are all other phones (iPhone 5, HTC Droid DNA, Note 2, HTC One) on the market before the S4.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm only leaning to keeping it because you are (and that all the "kids" working in all the mobile stores are orgasmic over this phone, and I am afraid of being left behind the technology curve again. If the iPhone 6 were available now, I am certain I would go that way. No offense to anyone and everyone who has contributed to this forum (in fact I thank you all), but I haven't the time or desire to keep researching, redefining, trying on, and learning new crap just to get solid simple functionality. (probably not a word). Does keeping my S4 mean I have to try and retry "launchers" and "widgets" as well as "APPS"? And WTF does "rooting" mean? Why do I need to learn it or do it? I REALLY would love to "chuck" Apple into the sea and love this Android / Galaxy experience, but I have already spent more time reading this forum and "googling" what the heck you all are talking about than I did through 6 years and three models of iPhone. Why did I switch? Because my iPhone 4S was stolen in Kuala Lumpur, where it seemed like 3 out of 4 people had already switched to Galaxy phones. (Was this an "omen"? LOL) I just wish one of you smart Android / S4 fans would just set this damed phone up for me so I could resume my normal routine of being indecisive about everything else! (I'm watching you Matt)
Just delete every icon and widget off your phone. Then go into your app drawer and add all the apps you like to the screens. Presto... an iPhone experience. No setup required. That will be $37.50 :p

Sent from my Nexus 4

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site

This is where I think you fail (not as a person) in understanding that Android is not iOS. Yes Samsung HTC and all the others try to give you the full out of the box experience that people crave but not all people are alike. Apple did not allow any change so people had to deal witht he out of box experience and just learned to accept it. Android allows all sorts of changes and as you have seen MANY people look towards different solutions hence why you get so many options. If you want a dumbed (forgive the word couldn't think of another) down don't have to do anything with it smartphone experience then iPhone is the way to go for you. No fault of you or anyone else it's just want you want or are comfortable with. If you want to tinker or learn something new that takes just a little more effort for so much more experience then yes you are in the right place. What you have to understand though is that android has to be learned. Some of course is poof it just works.. some is holy heck that is tough to understand. You can go as little or as much as you want.. what you can't do is make any Android device work exactly like a iPhone. You can make it close (exceptions are possible) but you shouldnt even try as you'll frustrate yourself and most everyone else.. which is what i think you have already done.. you have expected this OS to be exactly like iOS and it's just apples to oranges.. in whatever you do G/L and we are always here to help

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, it sounds like the iphone is your perfect match, and there's nothing wrong with that.
As for issue #3, um, why wouldnt you put it on vibrate before the meeting? Am I missing something? You either swipe down with 2 fingers and tap the sound toggle, or hold down the power button and do the same thing. It takes a fraction of a second longer than flipping a hardware toggle. I has confused.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO