Voice typing - no capitalization on new sentences?

SNOMORE

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. 1st post so please don't flame me if this has been asked and answered, I did try the search.

When I try to use the voice typing feature on my new S4 often times it will not capitalize the first letter of a sentence, either at the beginning or in the middle of a paragraph. I checked the settings and made sure this setting was activated. Happens both on email and texting. I never had this happen on my RAZR, any ideas why or how to fix? It's a real hassle to have to go back and edit all of the first letters. This is both on the stock Google keyboard as well as Swift Key.

Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked through the voice settings for punctuation? See if there is anything there allows for adjustment to punctuation.

SNOMORE

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, there are no settings for punctuation that I am aware of, just to capitalize new sentences. It won't capitalize either first sentence or subsequent sentences

rcf333

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with my GS3 - it's been really aggravating. I had actually been doing a search today to try and find a solution - yours was the first post I came upon and was pretty sad to see there was no good answser :). Fortunately, I did seem to find a solution through a different source that appears to be working.

Assuming (hopefully) the settings layout is the same or very similar on the GS4: Go to Settings>Language and input. Under the section Keyboards and input methods, where it says 'Default' select Samsung Keyboard. Then under that make sure Google voice typing is selected. Beneath this you'll see the Samsung keyboard option is greyed out, but you can still access its settings. Go into the settings, then under 'Advanced' make sure Auto capitalization is selected. I don't know if you need to do this, but at this point I restarted my phone. It appears to be working just fine now. I can even swype and do everything else, so I really don't have any clear understanding about all the different keyboard options. All I know is that this seemed to take care of the issue. Good luck! I know how annoying it is.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I am dictating, whether email or text and I finish a sentence I say, "period". My next word is then capitalized. Hope it helps. I have Google Voice typing selected as my keyboard

Tktrust

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I too am having the same problem. using the Google Voice to Text function, it will no longer capitalize the first letter of the next sentence. I have to droid razors, & a Nexus 7 tablet with no cell access, so it leaves me to believe that it is not Verizon, or razor, since my tablet does not cell phone for Verizon connected. interesting, if I start at the beginning of the next sentence with the word "I", it will capitalize it. example:. I am frustrated. I need to get this fixed. I have made no changes to any language or input. I wonder if this is connected to a possible Android or Google app update?

toddelt

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. I have found one temporary way to solve it, and that is too say. and then pause and then resume. Not a preferred method but the only way I've been able to accomplish it. I hope somebody can solve this soon.

Tktrust

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have no explanation, but Voice typing seems to work now. As you can see, it is capitalizing the first letter of the word again. Strange. Is it working for you all? Its working for now...who knows if it will work an hour from now.

pcskier

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
My S3 won't auto cap at the beginning of sentences in email, but it will when texting. Subsequent sentences in email are properly capitalized after the period. I've tried the airplane mode thing and even when it was on, it reacted the same. I hope someone fixes this soon!

lavallie

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. Yes I have all the settings correct. It actually worked fine until about a month and a half ago.

Contacted Google and they sent me to a stupid Q&A site. Great!!! So i called Samsung and they want to completely reload my phone. Nice idea except their backup software is NOT reliable. Having all kinds of problems with that also. We need to talk to an engineer that actually knows how this works. There are thousands of complaints on various sites about this problem on different phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678