Chrome vs Internet Confusion

anon(5963064)

May 5, 2013
Visit site
:( I can't seem to grasp the difference between "Chrome" and "Internet" Icons. (Am new to Android)

When I click on the "Internet" Icon, it appears that I am using the Chrome Browser. All the settings are there just like the Chrome on my desktop. Everything seems perfect, but is this really Chrome? If not what browser is it? :p

I also have a "Chrome" Icon. It always opens on take a tour of Chrome. I can't get past the tour screens. I can not get my home page set and most of the setting I am used to on my desktop are just not there. It seems useless.

Yes I want to use Chrome for the internet for sync, etc.

I have a head ache now.

Thanks for helping me out. :)

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Take a nap and then Take the tour. The stock browser is android browser. Its not like home Dorothy the land of oz chrome is a little different. But it will sync.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
:( I can't seem to grasp the difference between "Chrome" and "Internet" Icons. (Am new to Android)

When I click on the "Internet" Icon, it appears that I am using the Chrome Browser. All the settings are there just like the Chrome on my desktop. Everything seems perfect, but is this really Chrome? If not what browser is it? :p

I also have a "Chrome" Icon. It always opens on take a tour of Chrome. I can't get past the tour screens. I can not get my home page set and most of the setting I am used to on my desktop are just not there. It seems useless.

Yes I want to use Chrome for the internet for sync, etc.

I have a head ache now.

Thanks for helping me out. :)

"Chrome" is the *official* Android Browser (as of Jelly Bean). "Internet" is simply a browser that is installed by Samsung (part of Touchwiz) -- it *used to be* the standard Android browser.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by being stuck on "take a tour of chrome"...usually you should just get the bookmarks, aka "new tab" page.

Either way, which ever browser you want to use is ENTIRELY up to you. You can even install any number of other browser, such as Dolphin, Firefox, or Boat Browser, from the Play store. The Touchwiz "Internet" browser is pretty integrated into the system, so it does tend to sync pretty well (whereas other 3rd party browser may not). Google would probably tell you that you should use Chrome for the "best experience", but honestly, if the Internet browser works better for you, then go with it.

EDIT: "Internet" may not actually be part of Touchwiz. I was under the assumption that there was no longer a stock Android browser other than Chrome, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, that doesn't really change anything else I wrote regardless...just use the browser you like.

Last edited:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Basically, your phone came with two web browsers pre-installed. Both run off Webkit as their core engine, but have a little bit different UI and functional flavoring. Use whichever one you find yourself liking better. Or, download Firefox as a 3rd alternative.
It's like you got a computer with Firefox and Chrome installed. Use which one you like or switch back and forth for different sites.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would like to use Chrome as my default browser but it won't stay selected. Every time I do something that needs a browser it asks me which one I want. Huge pain.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the option pop up that asks what browsers then also ask "use always" or "just this once" ??

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the option pop up that asks what browsers then also ask "use always" or "just this once" ??

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah. Even if you select "always" it won't remember it and you end up choosing every time you click on a link.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21