vzw s4 and slow lte speeds on speedtest and at&t that much faster

sox08

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ive been noticing on my s4 that when using speed test and a close server and almost living right under a tower so I have full bars that my data speeds are not that great. I know during the day the speeds will bog down and are getting more congested with more lte phones now then a lot of early lte adopters had noticed, but its really starting to show for me. I had the note 2 and never noticed it being this bad. at night I average around 20mbps down but daytime around 10 to 12 mbps download. now for my work cell I have a lumia 920 thru at&t and have speed test on there and if im correct it has dual core and 1gb of ram so basically half the phone and at night 34mbps down and daytime around 32mbps down. is lte rapidly becoming 3g? lte was supposed to be the wave of the future for big red and they had promos for no more buffering well guess what on youtube on a 2min vid I buffer now! it just really makes you wonder what a google edition gs4 with lte would be like on at&t. anyone else experiencing this??

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the bars on you display isn't showing you your data signal strength. It is showing you the signal you have for phonecalls. If you really want to see your data signal reception , I suggest you try a app called SignalCheck in the playstore. It will show you what your data signal is. And display it on the left side of your notifications panel.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
LMAO.... go post this in a AT&T Lumia 920 forum!!! Personally, I don't care what you think you see from any AT&T phone.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Being rude to users, legitimate question or not, regarding of what phone they mention, will not be tolerated. We have many users who take advantage of the different OS platforms. If you don't have anything constructive to post, move along.

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Your question made me curious, I downloaded a speed test app and turned off my wifi and fan the test (I'm in central nj), I got 8.7 kbps download and. 1.2 kbps upload.

sox08

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Wow I wasnt saying the lumia is a better device theres a reason I carry an android phone. im merely giving my opinion and comparing the data speeds cause I feel like for what we spend we deserve the best. I also welcome any criticism cause after all knowledge is power.

Thanks I also downloaded the app you suggested and will post back when im home what my strength is as it should be very strong.

Just trying to see who elese can mimic the results im seeing on my vzw s4

Posted via Android Central App

nufan4115

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I think for some reason the speedtest.net app is messed up. I had a note 2 and now the s4. Early in the mornings I would get 20-30 mps download but afternoon and evening would be less than 1

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow I wasnt saying the lumia is a better device theres a reason I carry an android phone. im merely giving my opinion and comparing the data speeds cause I feel like for what we spend we deserve the best. I also welcome any criticism cause after all knowledge is power.

Thanks I also downloaded the app you suggested and will post back when im home what my strength is as it should be very strong.

Just trying to see who elese can mimic the results im seeing on my vzw s4

Different markets (locations), different carriers, different amount of users on any one carrier verses another carrier... way too many variables to say this device might be better than any other device. You would have to be in the know within both carriers just find out what loads they were actually under at the time of any given test of their network to really get any realistic numbers, or know what they can actually give you for real network speeds. Way too many variables.

And what works best for me in my city could always be different for what works best for you.

Norman Wong

May 25, 2013
Visit site
ive been noticing on my s4 that when using speed test and a close server and almost living right under a tower so I have full bars that my data speeds are not that great. I know during the day the speeds will bog down and are getting more congested with more lte phones now then a lot of early lte adopters had noticed, but its really starting to show for me. I had the note 2 and never noticed it being this bad. at night I average around 20mbps down but daytime around 10 to 12 mbps download. now for my work cell I have a lumia 920 thru at&t and have speed test on there and if im correct it has dual core and 1gb of ram so basically half the phone and at night 34mbps down and daytime around 32mbps down. is lte rapidly becoming 3g? lte was supposed to be the wave of the future for big red and they had promos for no more buffering well guess what on youtube on a 2min vid I buffer now! it just really makes you wonder what a google edition gs4 with lte would be like on at&t. anyone else experiencing this??

I got 19mbps down at 4pm today. I will do another test at night after peak hours and see what i get then and will update later.

sox08

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
My lte strength is -75dbm and test showed 21 down at home and during the day was half that if I was lucky. Ive been with vzw for over 10 years and I almost left a month ago for tmo and tried their service but the signal could not penetrate metal roofs at all so I returned but with at&t seeming to get every cell available lately and faster lte speeds and seems like cheaper data plans like 5gb for 50 or 3gb for 30 I believe it mite be time to give them a test run. Leaving my unlimited data is not easy though.

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Also realize that like you stated in the op about how fast Verizon's lte network was for early adopters, the same is true right now for At&t. Their network is just starting to get traction and they only have a few handsets that take advantage of it. Once lte becomes the main data network for them the speeds will be right in line with what your getting now on Verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
That tells me in general most people are using VZW and at&t does not have anywhere near the customers using their 4G than the number of VZW using their 4G and if you come out to my area you won't have even a voice signal much less a 4G and since I am on VZW I can talk, text and 4G data as much as I want. No one here really cares what at&t has or does as said by another poster go to the at&t forum somewhere and they may like it and let you know. The whole answer is very simple VZW has only ordered so much bandwidth for its back haul on fiber optic service. VZW does as well as other carriers over sell by large amounts the bandwidth they have because they know everyone won't be on the bandwidth at the same time but as the bandwidth gets saturated to 100% for a certain period of time, they will maybe add more bandwidth for this traffic. Since VZW does not own this fiber optic facility they have to make arrangements with the provided to add the capacity and the provided may or may not have this to lease to VZW because he is at capacity which he will have to increase in order to satisfy VZW needs. This all takes a time study and time to construct. It is not sometimes as simple as just flipping a switch or turning it up to what is needed. My guess is someone seriously underestimated what the demand was going to be, happens all the time.

Last edited:

glock813

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is a speed test that I ran earlier today! I live in central Florida...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370836255858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370836255858.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol