Google Gmail Update

pharologst

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I hate the latest update forced onto my phone by Google. I can revert back to the prior version, but after a few hours it automatically updates to the newest version that I just removed. How do I turn off this auto-update mode on Gmail?? I have a Galaxy S4.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
What don't you like? There are ways off turning some of the new features off... if we know what you don't like.

Posted via Android Central App

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
A little too much going on in the new update for me too. Constantly getting two notifications for the same email. Talk about annoying when my phone double beeps for one email! Slide down the notification bar have it filled up twice with the same email. I went to priority inbox settings and unchecked sound notifications but to no avail. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Please don't get mad for nexus 4 user posting in Samsung forum. I did a search for gmail update.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
A little too much going on in the new update for me too. Constantly getting two notifications for the same email. Talk about annoying when my phone double beeps for one email! Slide down the notification bar have it filled up twice with the same email. I went to priority inbox settings and unchecked sound notifications but to no avail. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Please don't get mad for nexus 4 user posting in Samsung forum. I did a search for gmail update.

That may be something with the N4, I haven't had any of those problems with my GN.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I hate the latest update forced onto my phone by Google. I can revert back to the prior version, but after a few hours it automatically updates to the newest version that I just removed. How do I turn off this auto-update mode on Gmail?? I have a Galaxy S4.

Do you have you apps set to automatic update? Mine will not update unless I go to my apps in Play and update it.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I hate that they took away the ability to check multiple emails in the inbox and then hit the delete key...now it requires a long press.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I hate that they took away the ability to check multiple emails in the inbox and then hit the delete key...now it requires a long press.

Yeah so far that's the first real annoyance I've come across: no batch deleting.

There must be a way though. Other than that, I'm getting used to the new version. I am probably more tolerant though because I moved to a new phone less than a month ago after over two years with a different OEM.

My mobile life has been all about getting used to changes.

From my LG Optimus G E970

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah so far that's the first real annoyance I've come across: no batch deleting.

There must be a way though. Other than that, I'm getting used to the new version. I am probably more tolerant though because I moved to a new phone less than a month ago after over two years with a different OEM.

My mobile life has been all about getting used to changes.

It's a couple more steps then it was before but you need to first go into options and set it to have delete and archive at the top and not just archive which is the default. Then, while in the inbox long press the email you want to delete this will bring up the delete button at the top then you can touch each email you want and it will highlight each one then hit the delete button.

electriclarryland

May 1, 2011
Visit site
You can also swipe to the side to delete, if you choose that option in General Settings. You have to swipe twice to complete, and I don't see a way to do batch deletes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Only if you remove the sender image (colored letter)... otherwise if you leave that you don't have to long press, a touch of the colored letter will select that and other emails.

****EDIT: Added that you can just touch the colored letter box to select the email.

Last edited:

Psyc

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
was just given this. You must first long press email to highlight then you can press other emails to batch delete.

Here is a quick tutorial: How to Bring Back the Delete Button in the New Gmail for Android

Steps:

Here's how to get the trash can back on your toolbar:

1. Press the menu button on your phone, and select settings from the pop-up menu.
2. Tap "General Settings," then tap "Archive & Delete actions" at the top of the menu.
3. Next, you'll see a pop-up menu with "Show archive only," "Show delete only," and "Show archive & delete." Archive only is the default. Select the one you prefer. I like "Show archive & delete," because options are good things to have.
4. Press the back button to go back to your message view.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
1) Long press the first email you want to delete. This will bring up the action menu that includes the option to delete.

2) Then LONG press each additional email you want to delete.

3) Tap the trashcan icon and viola!

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You can also swipe to the side to delete, if you choose that option in General Settings. You have to swipe twice to complete, and I don't see a way to do batch deletes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Where do you find this, swiping only archives them...I can't find a place to set swipe to delete.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
1) Long press the first email you want to delete. This will bring up the action menu that includes the option to delete.

2) Then LONG press each additional email you want to delete.

3) Tap the trashcan icon and viola!

You only have to long press the first email, subsequent emails can just be tapped to select then hit the trash can to delete.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
All I did was download, didn't mess with any settings or anything and I can group delete just like I always did. As soon as I click a email the trash can come up at the top and I can highlight as many as I want.

Tapatalk mofo

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You only have to long press the first email, subsequent emails can just be tapped to select then hit the trash can to delete.

I was tapping the message preview not the header (the giant letter or contact image). If I tap the message preview it opens rather than multi selects.

Last edited:

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Where do you find this, swiping only archives them...I can't find a place to set swipe to delete.

Open Gmail, hit the settings button, select General settings, then the second thing - swipe to delete. :) I HATED the update before I figured that one out. Now it's ok.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Open Gmail, hit the settings button, select General settings, then the second thing - swipe to delete. :) I HATED the update before I figured that one out. Now it's ok.

The second item is swipe to archieve...I have nothing that says swipe to delete.

ETA: I just figured out you have to select to display delete only in the first option before "swipe to delete" shows up as the second option. If you chose both archive and delete then the second option is always swipe to archive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance