07-11-2013 07:37 PM
139 12345 ...
tools
    What exactly are these lag issues some people say everyone is having? The few S4's ive seen have had no noticeable issues. Is it multiple apps, not enough ram, or are you talking signal issues? I don't think Ive heard anyone describe there specific situation so it could be a variety of issues causing the "lag". Is this a constant thing or does it come and go? Many of the few complaints about lag issues ive seen on these forums could probably be ascribed to people new to the android os and not familiar with all the different setting and features that can be customized and disabled/removed. I just helped my brother setup his new GS4 as he could no longer stand the old/obsolete feel of his iphone. and was totally unfamiliar with android os.
    06-13-2013 11:20 AM
    I also had an DNA. It's an truly amazing and beautiful phone. The only problem was being plagued with the SIM issue. That's part of the reason why I abandoned it. I got the SIM issue within 3 days of getting the phone. I really love sense 4.0 also. Most people complain about sense but I find it rather elegant and beautiful. After I took it to Verizon they switched out the SIM, but that fixed the phone for a week before it acted up again. And I simply said no to the phone and switched out for the S4. I need a phone that is reliable. Plus I will not switch my phone out for a replacement from Asurion. 8 out of 10 phones being replaced by them have issues. I paid for a brand new phone there is no way I was going to switch out for a replacement after just purchasing a brand new one. Despite the lag issue of the S4 it does what I need it to do, which is making a call. In the end, what it comes down to is I need a phone to be a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    I got lucky with my DNA, and never had the SIM problem. I gave it to my daughter after she destroyed (yet ANOTHER) phone and it is still working well for her. Plus, like you I liked Sense. And wireless charging - that was sweet. Anyway for me the S4 is an OK phone. I don't know what I was expecting when I got it, but it's OK. Mostly
    06-13-2013 11:33 AM
    I got my S4 yesterday and I'm liking it for the most part, unfortunately I do not have an iPhone 5 to compare. I came from a Verizon Wireless iPhone 4 and to me the S4 is a big upgrade but that is considering I am comparing it to almost three year old technology. I think one of the major aspects to this device is customizing it to a degree that suits you. When I first got it I had some trouble navigating (this is my first Android device mind you) but now that I've installed Nova launcher and other necessary applications I'm absolutely loving the upgrade.

I got tired of waiting and if Apple does announce something amazing with its next phone, whether it be the iPhone 5S or iPhone 6, I will consider switching. Only time will tell.
    06-13-2013 05:42 PM
    I got my S4 yesterday and I'm liking it for the most part, unfortunately I do not have an iPhone 5 to compare. I came from a Verizon Wireless iPhone 4 and to me the S4 is a big upgrade but that is considering I am comparing it to almost three year old technology. I think one of the major aspects to this device is customizing it to a degree that suits you. When I first got it I had some trouble navigating (this is my first Android device mind you) but now that I've installed Nova launcher and other necessary applications I'm absolutely loving the upgrade.

I got tired of waiting and if Apple does announce something amazing with its next phone, whether it be the iPhone 5S or iPhone 6, I will consider switching. Only time will tell.
    This is my exact point.. With iOS you are using thier phone. With Android you make it yours.
    RazorDroid likes this.
    06-14-2013 01:54 PM
    This is my exact point.. With iOS you are using thier phone. With Android you make it yours.
    One thing that is irking me to no end is some of the lag I am experiencing with some apps. It's just the right amount of lag to be annoying and make the device almost feel "cheap". I'm looking for further tweaks.
    06-14-2013 04:36 PM
    The s4 s a great phone. There will never be a perfect phone.
    06-15-2013 11:01 AM
    The s4 s a great phone. There will never be a perfect phone.
    You got that right!!
    06-15-2013 11:16 AM
    There will never be a perfect phone
    True, but if iPhone had a larger screen, it would be close!
    General Tso likes this.
    06-15-2013 11:39 AM
    If we could put android on apple hardware then yes, we have the perfect phone

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    General Tso and bmyers_az like this.
    06-15-2013 11:49 AM
    No way. No Iturd for me.
    raziel and brad419 like this.
    06-15-2013 01:21 PM
    No updated keyboard, widget support, smart dialing, and horrible UI overhaul (if that's what people consider) from iOS7 makes it far from perfect. If they can address all of that, on top of having a bigger screen then maybe it will be being close to perfect.
    06-15-2013 01:52 PM
    My phone only lags sometimes in the gallery. It'll freeze a lot but thankfully that's the only lag on my phone

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-15-2013 03:02 PM
    I must be in the minority with my S4, I have not seen any lag and the phone responds very well. Then again, I did not have any of the reported issues with my Rezound either. I did go through and delete and disable the useless apps right away as suggested by others in the forum.
    My phone stutters everyday. But it's still the best thing available IMO.

06-16-2013 10:58 PM
    My phone stutters everyday. But it's still the best thing available IMO.

That's sad.
    06-17-2013 10:07 AM
    Also, Apple has had some pretty huge missteps of their own on launch days. You can't tell me Apple Maps or the iPhone 4 (antenna gate) "just worked".
    I'm glad someone else sees that as well. A little animation stutter is no where near as bad as the antenna not working or Maps being useless.

I think if you compare all the worst experiences with the S4 with all the best experiences with the iPhone you'll see a big difference. If you compare the average experience with both the difference is much smaller. For example, I watched by boss spend 5 seconds trying to get his iPhone 5 to switch from landscape mode to portrait mode. Granted the animation was nice and smooth when it finally did switch, but that's the type of thing many people on here are calling completely unacceptable.
    06-17-2013 12:30 PM
    I'm glad someone else sees that as well. A little animation stutter is no where near as bad as the antenna not working or Maps being useless.

I think if you compare all the worst experiences with the S4 with all the best experiences with the iPhone you'll see a big difference. If you compare the average experience with both the difference is much smaller. For example, I watched by boss spend 5 seconds trying to get his iPhone 5 to switch from landscape mode to portrait mode. Granted the animation was nice and smooth when it finally did switch, but that's the type of thing many people on here are calling completely unacceptable.
    Exactly. My boss called from an out of state business meeting and needed help emailing an attachment so he could forward it to the others in the meeting because he couldn't figure out how to do it on his iPhone or iPad. For "just working" and being "easy to use" he was sure frustrated when he needed it most.
    06-17-2013 12:38 PM
    I'm reading and replying from my sg3 so I can't tell what forum I found this post in - my question is, none of you have mentioned what carrier you are with on your sg4; can't some of the lag some of you are seeing be linked to the software your carrier has added? How many of you are rooted and seeing a lag? I am actually ready to purchase the s4 and now I'm completely leary. I have read at that the update recently released fixes this "lag" and some camera issues (?) but is currently only available in the UK at the moment. I love Android and it's a better fit for me than iOS - but I am going to wait before I grab the s4 until I see that this update has remedied these issues.

Ihbsba aka Evo_girl - AC changed my name!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
    johnriii likes this.
    06-17-2013 12:47 PM
    This is the Verizon gs4 forum. I'm in the same boat as you, going to wait a few more weeks to see if a 32 gig gs4 comes out. As far as lag I'm not worried I'm going to root and rom it as soon as I have it in my hands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-17-2013 03:08 PM
    This is the Verizon gs4 forum. I'm in the same boat as you, going to wait a few more weeks to see if a 32 gig gs4 comes out. As far as lag I'm not worried I'm going to root and rom it as soon as I have it in my hands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Ah, ok so I'm clear on the carrier - I've played with several sprint versions and I don't see any lag, and I'm pretty picky.. Is there a particular time this is happening? I use Nova and I have my animations set to the "speed of light", has anyone tried that to work around the problem? I know it "should work as is" but even in the best circumstances, these devices aren't flawless. I've used countless devices and all have had some kind of issue here or there... I also am not a gamer - and I know a lot of you use processor intense apps, just wondering if this is part of why there is a lag.

06-17-2013 04:26 PM
    Bought my S4 back in May (first day it came out).

Yes the lag sucks.
    Yes the plastic sucks.
    Yes the plastic is slippery.
    Yes a lot of the gestures and eye features are gimmicks.
    Yes the camera is overrated.

Sadly, I spent $650 and I am stuck with it.

Sold my iPhone 5 to get it too. The iPhone 5 had no lag, solid feel and the camera still owns the Galaxy S4. I can't imagine now with iOS7 how much greener it is on the other side!

SOMEONE GET ME BACK TO iPHONE 5! (Preferably sell me one or trade)
    06-17-2013 06:48 PM
    Bought my S4 back in May (first day it came out).

Yes the lag sucks.
    Yes the plastic sucks.
    Yes the plastic is slippery.
    Yes a lot of the gestures and eye features are gimmicks.
    Yes the camera is overrated.

Sadly, I spent $650 and I am stuck with it.

Sold my iPhone 5 to get it too. The iPhone 5 had no lag, solid feel and the camera still owns the Galaxy S4. I can't imagine now with iOS7 how much greener it is on the other side!

SOMEONE GET ME BACK TO iPHONE 5! (Preferably sell me one or trade)
    Now, you know there is no lag, because some people on here said that theirs had none, so you must be mistaken.
    And yes, the iPhone camera tops the S4 camera.
    06-17-2013 07:15 PM
    Now, you know there is no lag, because some people on here said that theirs had none, so you must be mistaken.
    And yes, the iPhone camera tops the S4 camera.
    In what aspect does the iPhone camera beat the S4 camera?

06-17-2013 09:05 PM
    Yeah, pretty much all the tech sites mentioned the lag. So while it's not exactly excusable, it shouldn't be unexpected. I got it knowing going in I'd have to hack and slash. And I'm not saying that to be a smart-***, really. You're right. It should not be necessary. But it is what it is. So you either deal with the reality of it or go to a different phone. If you want something different and which I actually like better than the S4, I'd look really REALLY hard at Windows Phone 8 on the Lumia 928 or 8X or similar. Awesome, just works, no lag. Far more elegant than Android, and more up to date than iOS.
    Do yourself a favor and don't do this.
    06-17-2013 09:39 PM
    so, now I have to decide if I want to take a chance on the S4. I've been researching a new phone since the beginning of the year, and this is quite the bummer. hell, I may just keep my rezound for another two years. I've heard about this lag, but have yet to see a video of exactly what that looks like. and, if it's THAT common, why aren't people returning thier phones in record numbers? this....is....a....bummer.
    06-18-2013 10:45 AM
    If we could put android on apple hardware then yes, we have the perfect phone
    false, we'd have the same issue. The reason iOS works so great is because they mold the software to work with the hardware....and since its always the SAME hardware...the phone will behave the same.

Android is just software running on all types of hardware....never the same experience
    06-18-2013 12:51 PM
139 12345 ...