Overrated lag machine

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I just got a new S4 to replace an iPhone 5, and I must say that I am disappointed in this phone. Yes, I know that many posts have been made about the lag issues, but I must say that it is unacceptable to have a phone with these specs to stutter and lag as it does. I used to have a S3, and it was much smoother than the 4. I read where people say to turn off this, and disable that, but that should not be necessary. It should run smooth out of the box, but it doesn't. I even use Nova launcher, to no avail. I don't know what the problem is, but Samsung needs to fix it, and quickly. I had a DNA, and it was WAY smoother than this phone. I like Android and iOS, and use both, but several Android phones and all iPhone 5's are smoother than the S4. OVERRATED is the best word to describe it. Get it together, Samsung! You have a great product here, so make it stutter-free and lag-free without having to turn off all of the features. Your customers will appreciate it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, yeah. It's a lot like buying a hot new computer from Best Buy, then having to delete all the crapware they installed on it just to get the performance you paid for. But while it's a pain, it's worth the trouble. It's not the phones fault - not hardware wise anyway. It's the marketers at Samsung and your carrier who insist that all those resources be used up to push their products. But all they are really doing is messing up an excellent machine. I suggest the following course of action; Go to app manager and see what is running. If you are not using it, uninstall or disable it. It takes about 15 minutes to go through the list and it has two benefits; the phone is faster, and it eats less battery.

It's a lot like running PC Decrapifier on a new PC. It shouldn't be necessary. But it is.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got a new S4 to replace an iPhone 5, and I must say that I am disappointed in this phone. Yes, I know that many posts have been made about the lag issues, but I must say that it is unacceptable to have a phone with these specs to stutter and lag as it does. I used to have a S3, and it was much smoother than the 4. I read where people say to turn off this, and disable that, but that should not be necessary. It should run smooth out of the box, but it doesn't. I even use Nova launcher, to no avail. I don't know what the problem is, but Samsung needs to fix it, and quickly. I had a DNA, and it was WAY smoother than this phone. I like Android and iOS, and use both, but several Android phones and all iPhone 5's are smoother than the S4. OVERRATED is the best word to describe it. Get it together, Samsung! You have a great product here, so make it stutter-free and lag-free without having to turn off all of the features. Your customers will appreciate it.

Should have listened to the reviews. Are you going to keep the s4?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree its a good phone but the lag has made me put it in a box,now my daily driver the one want to talk about smooth experience with no lag! Hopefully in the future updates will make my s4 usable

sent from the smartphone of 2013 HTC ONE...

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
No. Probably will go back to iPhone. Smooth, no lag, and it just works. Can't get a One on VZW right now, and not upgrade eligible anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Should have listened to the reviews. Are you going to keep the s4?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, pretty much all the tech sites mentioned the lag. So while it's not exactly excusable, it shouldn't be unexpected. I got it knowing going in I'd have to hack and slash. And I'm not saying that to be a smart-***, really. You're right. It should not be necessary. But it is what it is. So you either deal with the reality of it or go to a different phone. If you want something different and which I actually like better than the S4, I'd look really REALLY hard at Windows Phone 8 on the Lumia 928 or 8X or similar. Awesome, just works, no lag. Far more elegant than Android, and more up to date than iOS.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have to say the 3 days I had my S4 Stock I did not see the lag you all speak of. Not saying you didnt see it but i just didn't experience it. I have since Rooted and installed Clean Rom which is just the bloatware gone and a couple of tweak to speed things up and I have go to say this this flys.. and I'm still using touchwiz.

Pappy if you were getting lag on Nova I bet there is something wrong with the phone.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I must be in the minority with my S4, I have not seen any lag and the phone responds very well. Then again, I did not have any of the reported issues with my Rezound either. I did go through and delete and disable the useless apps right away as suggested by others in the forum.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Pappy. 100%. This phone is so filled with lag that I can't even type. It can't keep up with me. My DNA didn't have this problem. Luckily for me I can return it to Verizon. Which I will be doing and wait for the One to come out.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I must be in the minority with my S4, I have not seen any lag and the phone responds very well. Then again, I did not have any of the reported issues with my Rezound either. I did go through and delete and disable the useless apps right away as suggested by others in the forum.

No, I wouldn't say that you are in the minority, but there is a TON of people out there with the lag and stutter. Even the reviewers saw it. I just don't understand why a phone with such a fast processor, and so much RAM, can be like this, even with bloatware. Like I said, I had an S3 and it was in no way as bad, and that was not even uninstalling, disabling, and deleting stuff. I really believe that it is in the software, as other phones such as the One and the iPhone 5 run as smooth as glass, and the iPhone does it on a much smaller dual-core processor and half the ram. Maybe some of the software has a little glitch, and just can't be fixed with an update, I don't know. And I am glad for the ones that don't have the problem, because it is frustrating to say the least. Other than that, it is a great phone.
The only other downside that I have seen is that, IMO, the camera on the iPhone takes better pictures.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've played with two S4 and have not seen any lag. Both however where newly purchased without any apps. I'm wondering if there is an app you might have installed that is causing this problem.

One thing I will say is my Note 2 never had a lag nor a shutter problem. However after some time and many apps latter I started experiencing shutter and lag. I removed some usless apps and reduced the number of cached emails* on my device.

* I use K9 and had 300 emails downloaded to my device, K9 was laggy and shuttered a lot. When I went back to 25 it was very responseive.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It took a few days till mine started lagging it started with real racing 3 it kinda froze and car would disappear for a few seconds then went to the keyboard stock and SwiftKey then started showing up on regular stuff again you won't noticed by playing in the store or having it and just lightly using but if your a power user it will prob come

sent from the smartphone of 2013 HTC ONE...

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
The lag is pretty disappointing and I'm coming from and iPhone 5 but had many Android phones before that and they didn't lag like this. I decided to root and rom and that has reduced most of the lag, but its definitely still there. :(

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I got the phone yesterday, used it so much I burned through two full battery cycles, no adverse experiences whatsoever. IDK.
Been using it all day today, still not seeing lag. Lucky me I guess. I came from a Nexus. I love this thing.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had mine through pre order since the Tuesday befor release. I've had lag exactly twice....after going two days withouth a reboot. I don't use eye scroll or hand gestures. Everything else is still stock. No root yet, no bloat removal. I love this phone. The two features I removed (well turned off) are gimmicks anyway. My rezound? That thing had serious lag compared to this. Should those features have to be turned off? Yes. If you want the performance. If not, take the gimmick and lag. Applauded the iPhone for being smooth.....and featureless too. I can't do half of what I want to with it, so I take the gimmicks off the better phone and it rocks.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anything is wrong with the s4.

Mine works great, super fast, great battery life

And that's good because at the end of the day all that matters is your happy with your decision not what reviews say or people on forums or what commercials it's what you like using

sent from my favorite phone of the year HTC one, don't mean it has to be yours

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't think anything is wrong with the s4.

Mine works great, super fast, great battery life

And that is great! This is why that I think that some corrupt software was put in some S4's, as there are thousands, if not 100's of thousands, out there with a bad lag problem. Hopefully Samsung can get it figured out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463