Overrated lag machine

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
DNA was butter smooth from my usage. Note 2 didn't lag as much as S4 at all!
TouchWiz is to blame for sure. It is clearly not the hardware but software.

I am considering installing stock Jellybean from the Developer Edition but I am worried I will miss some Samsung features.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Exchange it for an HTC one. It's got a premium design and doesnt lag like the gs4.

Posted via Android Central App

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Just load a different launcher. I use Nova and have zero lag or stutters. I have a Note 2 as well. I have tested them side by side and they are equal and for some actions the S4 is faster. You need to turn off animations but other than that I have not removed anything else. You can root to get stock Android but you will lose all Samsung features. If you just replace the launcher you can still have access to all of the features. I also have 6GB worth of apps loaded on main storage as well. It is possible that you might have some rogue apps causing problems. I have 3 friends with the S4 and not one of them is laggy or slow.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You shouldn't have to turn off anything to make a phone smooth. The S3 is smoother than the S4, it seems. Not all S4's are laggy, but there are way too many to say that there isn't a problem. That plus minimum storage taints an otherwise good phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted S4 running CleanROM and it still has hiccups here and there. It is an otherwise awesome phone, but I shouldn't have to do this to make it work right. My DNA and Note 2 weren't even remotely close to as laggy. Once the One hits Verizon I'll be switching.

elinash93

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
If you have Verizon, you have a 14 day period from time of purchase to exchange your phone out for a brand new one for free, minus a $35 restocking fee. You were probably issued a bad device. Happened to my friend when we both got ours (mine was and still is fine out of the box after 2 months). He exchanged his S4 out for a new one at the store and he hasn't had any issues since.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I dug out my Razr Maxx HD today and reloaded it - I had wiped it to give it to my daughter but she didn't want it. She preferred the S3. Anyway, guess what? No lags, no stutters. The OS on this phone is pretty clean which may have something to do with it. I think I'll keep on with the HD for a bit. I do like the somewhat smaller form factor. And it's pretty :)

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I was personally very enthusiastic about getting an S4 after having the whole apple line including 3, 3gs, 4, 4s and finally iPhone 5.

I must admit I'm very disappointed with S4 .. not as a phone, as it has some nice features, (but also tons of UN-necessary options and adjustments).

The biggest problem with S4 is:
- Lag

- Lag

- Lag

S4 is slow as a snail, especially while typing or dialing phone numbers on the keypad.

It has some kind of annoying delay while doing the above .. most of the time I'm not sure if I pressed the key or not.

S4 TAKES AGES TO RESPOND, and its:

- slow
- slow
- slow

It was like that out of box, without any applications or games installed.

Luckily I still have my iPhone 5 .. and its lightning fast, comparing to S4.

And a friendly recommendation for anyone thinking of replacing their iPhone 5 for S4:

-Don't Do it ..
-Don't Do it ..
-Don't Do it ..

Derekweb

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a stock SG4. I disabled airview, smartscreen and Google now on the first day. This thing is a monster now. Fast. Excellent battery life. I don't understand why you are having so much lag. Must be a bad phone or a misbehaving app

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was personally very enthusiastic about getting an S4 after having the whole apple line including 3, 3gs, 4, 4s and finally iPhone 5.

I must admit I'm very disappointed with S4 .. not as a phone, as it has some nice features, (but also tons of UN-necessary options and adjustments).

The biggest problem with S4 is:
- Lag

- Lag

- Lag

S4 is slow as a snail, especially while typing or dialing phone numbers on the keypad.

It has some kind of annoying delay while doing the above .. most of the time I'm not sure if I pressed the key or not.

S4 TAKES AGES TO RESPOND, and its:

- slow
- slow
- slow

It was like that out of box, without any applications or games installed.

Luckily I still have my iPhone 5 .. and its lightning fast, comparing to S4.

And a friendly recommendation for anyone thinking of replacing their iPhone 5 for S4:

-Don't Do it ..
-Don't Do it ..
-Don't Do it ..

Look at my previous posts. I've played with both. The S4 I have is much faster than an iPhone 5. There is a very high possibility that your S4 is defective if the iPhone 5 is faster. I can't deny there is a little lag or stutter here and there. But judging by peoples posts some has that experience some don't, guess its the luck of the draw when buying the phone. But you should take the phone back to get it replaced with another one. Play with it in the store to see if other S4s does the same. Don't judge and dismiss the phone after just using that one particular S4.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a stock SG4. I disabled airview, smartscreen and Google now on the first day. This thing is a monster now. Fast. Excellent battery life. I don't understand why you are having so much lag. Must be a bad phone or a misbehaving app

That is an issue. Why should anyone have to disable or cut off anything to make a phone work like it should? And disable Google Now? C'mon!

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That is an issue. Why should anyone have to disable or cut off anything to make a phone work like it should? And disable Google Now? C'mon!

FWIW, Google Now is an issue with other devices as well. Had to turn it off on my Nexus 7 bc of the terrible lag it created. But I agree - should not have to swap out functionality for performance. We paid for both when we bought the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, Google Now is an issue with other devices as well. Had to turn it off on my Nexus 7 bc of the terrible lag it created. But I agree - should not have to swap out functionality for performance. We paid for both when we bought the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No effect on my Razr HD. Moto FTW!

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
... I can't deny there is a little lag or stutter here and there. But judging by peoples posts some has that experience some don't, guess its the luck of the draw when buying the phone. But you should take the phone back to get it replaced with another one. Play with it in the store to see if other S4s does the same. Don't judge and dismiss the phone after just using that one particular S4.
I suspect some folks not seeing as much lag, may not be using the same things. Little things, like diff keyboards, live wallpapers, transparent status bars, etc.

I suspect even more likely, some people just have different expectations of responsiveness. 1/2 second to get the launcher to pop up? Is that pretty good, or painful lag? Depends on your past experiences and expectations. I'm moving from the former to the later camp. :(

Seems unlikely there'd be that broad a bifercation between the the actual phones out there, 1/2 never failing a step, and 1/2 tripping every dozen steps.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There is no way your S 4 is faster than an iPhone 5 which you basically admit when you say it lags and stutters. Lag is not from a defective phone either. It's from Touchwiz primarily and carrier crapware secondarily. When you get lag even with cleanrom then it's Touchwiz. If you want anS 4 without lag then you need a rom without Touchwiz. Samsung really underestimated what people are willing to put up with. Maybe they thought all the new features that don't work would snow people but it didn't work on everyone. So you either minimize the stutter by turning off as much as possible or install a rom without TW. Your best bet is probably stock android. Then you only have to deal with cheap construction quality and a screen you can't see outside. No wonder S 4 sales are so much under expectations resulting in a big hit to Samsung stock. Samsung simply didn't do their best work here or what the are truly capable of.

Look at my previous posts. I've played with both. The S4 I have is much faster than an iPhone 5. There is a very high possibility that your S4 is defective if the iPhone 5 is faster. I can't deny there is a little lag or stutter here and there. But judging by peoples posts some has that experience some don't, guess its the luck of the draw when buying the phone. But you should take the phone back to get it replaced with another one. Play with it in the store to see if other S4s does the same. Don't judge and dismiss the phone after just using that one particular S4.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech