Overrated lag machine

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm still experiencing lag somewhat. But I've disabled animations and disabled a lot of bloatware. As far as suggestion for rooting I think that would be the last resort for me.

I think that an average user of the phone won't understand the concept of rooting...example...me. I don't know how to root. I've jailbroken my iPhone before but rooting an android is different and unless I spend a good amount of time reading and researching I won't consider rooting bc I heard many people talk about how they hard bricked their phone bc of it and made the phone useless. I don't want that risk and its simply not worth it to me.

I hope that Samsung is actually paying someone to research user reviews on their products and addressing complaints. For a high end phone like this with top specs filled with lag is simply inexcusable. But can't say its all Samsung's fault though. Carriers and their bloatware are a big reason for this lag I'm sure of it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've only rooted one Android device, my Samsung Player 5. It used to be a pocket sized tablet (and a darn good one) for me, but as phone screens got bigger and higher resolution it became disused and, well, expendable. I found instructions and did it, but the thing became somewhat unstable. Of course there was never much interest in doing this with the Player 5 so perfecting it was never anyone's priority. Still, it made me aware of the possibility for things to go wrong, and for me the S4 just isn't expendable. So I just did the best I could in the stock configuration and pretty well eliminated any stuttering just by disabling apps and turning off non-used features.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
People who say they dont see lag are blind or there so use it they dont know any better.

So you are saying i'm blind? really, is that how you try to win an arguement. Maybe just maybe your phone is defective or maybe you are running things I am not. Let me repeat myself I have yet to have any LAG. If you guys hate the phone so much quit your whining and return it for something else. simple fix otherwise just man up and wait for an update.

I'm still experiencing lag somewhat. But I've disabled animations and disabled a lot of bloatware. As far as suggestion for rooting I think that would be the last resort for me.

I think that an average user of the phone won't understand the concept of rooting...example...me. I don't know how to root. I've jailbroken my iPhone before but rooting an android is different and unless I spend a good amount of time reading and researching I won't consider rooting bc I heard many people talk about how they hard bricked their phone bc of it and made the phone useless. I don't want that risk and its simply not worth it to me.

I hope that Samsung is actually paying someone to research user reviews on their products and addressing complaints. For a high end phone like this with top specs filled with lag is simply inexcusable. But can't say its all Samsung's fault though. Carriers and their bloatware are a big reason for this lag I'm sure of it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Actually to root the phone is super simple and takes less then 5 mins. Instructions are in the hacking section here.

chrishoyt2013

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes the phone lags...yes sometimes it reboots.....but you have to remember this is a new phone...new things don't always work properly out of the box. With future updates things will get better. This is a new version of touchwiz...buggy yes...the hardware in this phone (hand gestures, eye scrolling) are new to this phone and Samsung). I'm only slightly disappointed...but not enough to say this phone is crap..again...give it time...a few updates and you'll see this phone improve.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So you are saying i'm blind? really, is that how you try to win an arguement. Maybe just maybe your phone is defective or maybe you are running things I am not. Let me repeat myself I have yet to have any LAG. If you guys hate the phone so much quit your whining and return it for something else. simple fix otherwise just man up and wait for an update.

Actually to root the phone is super simple and takes less then 5 mins. Instructions are in the hacking section here.

Not trying to argue at all, sorry your getting all pissy like a women. lol

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Seems like the recurring theme here is "I removed this and froze this, and cut these features off, and now I don't have AS MUCH lag or no lag". Therein lies the problem. This phone should have never been released with the lag that a large percentage of them are experiencing. And the crap about "man up and wait for an update" is ridiculous.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Seems like the recurring theme here is "I removed this and froze this, and cut these features off, and now I don't have AS MUCH lag or no lag". Therein lies the problem. This phone should have never been released with the lag that a large percentage of them are experiencing. And the crap about "man up and wait for an update" is ridiculous.

Exactly. I removed nothing but a couple stupid pre loaded games from my DNA and it was 200x as smooth as this after disabling nearly everything I can and turning off the stuff/gimmicks I don't use. And that's the problem, with a phone like this you shouldn't have to do anything to it to get it yo work properly.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I think you do have a valid point. But fact is every initial release of every technology comes with glitches. You mentioned you came from an iPhone to the s4. Keep in mind so did I. The only reason iOS doesn't have many glitches and are fairly smooth is simply bc every release of the OS only has a few new features while most are enhancement/improvement to current feature. iOS has also been around for a long time in tech years. Touchwiz in general is a fairly young software in comparison to iOS. Given enough time I'm sure this lag issue will be of the past.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I think you do have a valid point. But fact is every initial release of every technology comes with glitches. You mentioned you came from an iPhone to the s4. Keep in mind so did I. The only reason iOS doesn't have many glitches and are fairly smooth is simply bc every release of the OS only has a few new features while most are enhancement/improvement to current feature. iOS has also been around for a long time in tech years. Touchwiz in general is a fairly young software in comparison to iOS. Given enough time I'm sure this lag issue will be of the past.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Yeah, but it seems to be a step backward from the S3 when it comes to smoothness.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes the phone lags...yes sometimes it reboots.....but you have to remember this is a new phone...new things don't always work properly out of the box. With future updates things will get better. This is a new version of touchwiz...buggy yes...the hardware in this phone (hand gestures, eye scrolling) are new to this phone and Samsung). I'm only slightly disappointed...but not enough to say this phone is crap..again...give it time...a few updates and you'll see this phone improve.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

This was my point all along yes I own both the s4 and the one and yes I prefer the one but I keep my s4 because future updates can and probably will turn it into my daily driver for now it's choppy

sent from my favorite phone of the year HTC one, don't mean it has to be yours

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 4S, actually two of them because the first one had to be replaced. I had numerous issues with lag and freezing on the 4S, especially when I'd receive multiple texts. Facebook and Instagram were also laggy at times and every once in awhile just went back to the home screen. I've only had the S4 for a couple of days but haven't experience any lag whatsoever. This includes loading pictures (over 2k) and music (about 1k) on my 32gb microSD card. I'd try to return it, maybe you got a defective phone? Happens all the time with iPhones, as I've had both my brothers and several friends return their iPhone 5 and exchange it for a new one.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Also, Apple has had some pretty huge missteps of their own on launch days. You can't tell me Apple Maps or the iPhone 4 (antenna gate) "just worked". Yeah it totally sucks and you shouldn't have to put up with any lag. Some people have it and some don't. For those that have it, you have to either remove/deactivate stuff, wait for an update, or return it. Unfortunately something probably bugged out in some of your devices at launch. I can totally understand venting about it and being frustrated. It has nothing to do with "manning up" but it also doesn't mean that those who haven't experienced it are liars.

These devices do a LOT more than the devices you might have had 4 years ago. Again, I agree they still shouldn't lag, but if you are having the problem then there's things you can do to make a change for the better.

EDIT: When I say "you" i'm not referring to the person I quoted above. Just fyi.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Nothing against the phone, but this has to be a contender for thread title of the year.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to be off topic here but how is your Sony Xperia ZL?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I really like it. I've had a few Sony phones and this is definitely their best effort yet, although they still have room to improve. The screen is nice, but I don't think it's quite on par with what HTC and Samsung are doing. The UI is pretty light, but still has the occasional hiccup (Sony widgets). The battery life holds up pretty well, although it could be a little better. Other than that, the ergonomics are excellent. The lack of bezel and on-screen buttons make it seem like a much smaller phone than it is. It's got a cool looking notification light and a physical camera button, too. The back is textured, so it's got a good grip to it, which is a nice touch. And the fact that it's unlocked and works with LTE sold me on it. I'm happy with my decision, overall.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
And the S3 wasn't this laggy, and has the same bloatware.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

It could very well be a certain build. i had the s4 all 3 carriers (don't ask...lol) the AT&T and Sprint versions (had jitters but wasn't "throw against the wall" intolerable, and both those units were made in Korea. Then i switched to T-Mo and the S4 i got from them was made in China, which i had read isn't manufactured to same standards...that unit was unbearable.

And as for the S3, if you got an early version, the software build was superb... But, midway through its life, Samsung started sending new builds pre-loaded with jelly bean (due to Ice Cream Sandwich having many security (permissions were ?R/W? (Read/Write) instead of ?R/O? (Read Only) and also had an issue referred to as ?sudden death? whereas certain motherboards would sometimes go into a deep sleep and not be able to come out of it ever) the s3 became a "different phone"....It lagged, it was jittery, it hesitated, dialer took forever to load, intermitten force closes, and if you google it, you will see TONS of ppl saying, "jelly bean ruined my S3...i finally gave up on S4 and have had the LG OG Pro and am finally having the Android experience i've been long in pursuit of : )

I would've hung in there and hoped Samsung sent an upgrade to fix the issues, since they have really upped their game in regards to updates, with proof being their latest addressing storage to SD update, but i have a strong suspicion they don't know WHY its happening, and who knows when they will figure it out...

BTC

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second S4(swapped the first one for the ONE but went back to the S4)and both of them have been superb. I know there is a real lag issue but I guess I've been fortunate in having two that are truly an upgrade from my S3 which was great as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
No. Probably will go back to iPhone. Smooth, no lag, and it just works. Can't get a One on VZW right now, and not upgrade eligible anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
Yeah, it just works. That's it. Pay the same amount for alot less. I've tried the S4 and the demo model I tried out had no lag.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, it just works. That's it. Pay the same amount for a lot less. I've tried the S4 and the demo model I tried out had no lag.

I hope that you are not saying that since the S4 that you tried out had no lag, then there must not be a lag problem, because there are probably thousands or 100's of thousands of S4 owners that will disagree with you.
And yes, the iPhone just works. They always have, and always will. Lag is pretty much nonexistent on the iPhone 5, and even with a lesser speed dual-core processor, it is faster and smoother than most Android phones on the market. Battery life is equal or better with a smaller battery. Camera is consistently at the top. I guess that is an advantage of building their own hardware and software. Build quality is second to none, and resale value is phenomenal. Customer satisfaction leads the industry by a wide margin. I am sure that Android is capable of more things than the iPhone, and I am a fan of both platforms (I have had Androids since the OG Droid), but it is really disheartening to put down my hard earned money on the "best Android ever", and it turns out to be a laggy mess that has to have many of it's features turned off just to function as it should right out of the box.I have had a DNA and an S3, both with no lag, and the DNA is probably the smoothest Android that I have owned. I am hoping that the Moto X phone knocks it out of the ballpark with all feature and performance boxes checked, as it seems that every Android phone released has shortcomings ( lag, battery life, low internal storage, screen, etc.). It would be nice to see one Android phone that would be the phone that people are looking for, with no shortcomings. And with the specs that these phones have now, t don't see why that couldn't become reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol