One of the first things I plan on doing when I get my S4 is installing CleanROM. From my research I can't do a system wide backup before rooting, but I would like to do a backup of the stock Verizon ROM in case I need to return the phone for whatever reason. The problem is, how do I do a backup? I can't seem to find any info on the process other than "reinstall the stock ROM", but how are you suppose to do that if you don't have a backup?

Second question: should I wait a couple days before rooting to ensure the number transfers from my old phone properly?
    06-15-2013 09:01 AM
    You really can't make this type of backup without being rooted. However, the stock Verizon ROM is available as a flashable (using Odin) file on xda, so if anything goes wrong you can just flash that and the phone's just like new. You can also make a full backup once rooted with a custom recovery. Speaking of custom recoveries, I recommend NOT using TWRP right now as it's causing boot problems with CleanROM. I suggest you use ClockWorkMod until the bugs get worked out of TWRP.

*Edit* You shouldn't have to wait at all before rooting. I rooted mine within the first hour of having the phone
    thunderclap and david007co like this.
    06-15-2013 09:37 AM
    You really can't make this type of backup without being rooted. However, the stock Verizon ROM is available as a flashable (using Odin) file on xda, so if anything goes wrong you can just flash that and the phone's just like new. You can also make a full backup once rooted with a custom recovery. Speaking of custom recoveries, I recommend NOT using TWRP right now as it's causing boot problems with CleanROM. I suggest you use ClockWorkMod until the bugs get worked out of TWRP.
    Good to know. Thanks!
    06-15-2013 12:39 PM
    The stock image is also good to download to have on hand in case anything happens.
    thunderclap likes this.
    06-16-2013 03:23 AM