Trying the S4 for 14 days!

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Since it looks like Apple won't have a really new phone for well over a year, I decided to try the Galaxy S4. I currently have an Iphone 5. Previous phones were Ip4, Galaxy S3, Droid X. So I am familiar with Android. I had mentally prepared to just play with it for the 14 days and then return it to Verizon for the restocking fee. Now I have a problem; I REALLY like the S4! The screen is gorgeous. I got a Class 10 32GB MicroSD for $25 at Best Buy. Yes it does have bloatware but I just disabled stuff. I went into developer options and disabled the animations so I have no lag or stutter. This is a very fast phone. I especially like the keyboard. I use Google Voice input a lot and it is extremely accurate. I put a lot of the same or similar apps on the phone. I had to subscribe to Visual Voice Mail ($2.99) to get a similar voice mail playback as the Ip5. The camera is quite good, as good or even better than the IP5. I installed LightFlow and the custom notifications, with different LED lighting for notifications is great. The S3 I previously had was intermittent in bluetooth connecting to my car. This S4 is rock solid. It downloaded the phone book and it works perfectly. I haven't done a solid battery check, but it looks good so far. My only problem is that my wife has an Ip4s, and after playing with my S4, she wants one!!!

Update: I am picking up another S4 for my wife to replace her Ip4s!!. Also, for some reason the Verizon visual voice mail had quite poor audio quality and wasn't very good. I cancelled it and went with YouMail. It is very customizable and you can change greetings for various occasions in a flash. It works much better than the Verizon Visual Voice Mail.

Last edited:

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Since it looks like Apple won't have a really new phone for well over a year, I decided to try the Galaxy S4. I currently have an Iphone 5. Previous phones were Ip4, Galaxy S3, Droid X. So I am familiar with Android. I had mentally prepared to just play with it for the 14 days and then return it to Verizon for the restocking fee. Now I have a problem; I REALLY like the S4! The screen is gorgeous. I got a Class 10 32GB MicroSD for $25 at Best Buy. Yes it does have bloatware but I just disabled stuff. I went into developer options and disabled the animations so I have no lag or stutter. This is a very fast phone. I especially like the keyboard. I use Google Voice input a lot and it is extremely accurate. I put a lot of the same or similar apps on the phone. I had to subscribe to Visual Voice Mail ($2.99) to get a similar voice mail playback as the Ip5. The camera is quite good, as good or even better than the IP5. I installed LightFlow and the custom notifications, with different LED lighting for notifications is great. The S3 I previously had was intermittent in bluetooth connecting to my car. This S4 is rock solid. It downloaded the phone book and it works perfectly. I haven't done a solid battery check, but it looks good so far. My only problem is that my wife has an Ip4s, and after playing with my S4, she wants one!!!

I would say very smart lady and why don't you have a new S4 in here hands already? Don't be mean to the lady as I am sure you may live long enough to regret it. I want one but I want a 32gb VZW which I don't think is going to happen. Thanks for your report.

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
You could free functionality that is the same as Visual Voicemail on the iPhone with the Google Voice app. It will even integrate with the recent calls list just like iPhone if you enable that feature. I just switched also and would definitely cancel your visual voicemail with Verizon ASAP.

bmyers_az

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
My wife got an iPhone about 21 days before I got my S4. She played with my phone for about five minutes before asking me if it was too late to return hers. Sadly, it was.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My wife got an iPhone about 21 days before I got my S4. She played with my phone for about five minutes before asking me if it was too late to return hers. Sadly, it was.

Sell the iPhone for about 500 and then just take the hit for the rest. You canfind it on swappa for 510 - 650...

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

Update: I am picking up another S4 for my wife to replace her Ip4s!!. Also, for some reason the Verizon visual voice mail had quite poor audio quality and wasn't very good. I cancelled it and went with YouMail. It is very customizable and you can change greetings for various occasions in a flash. It works much better than the Verizon Visual Voice Mail.

Awesome!!! :D

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I repeat - set up Google Voice for your free visual Voicemail. When you set it up it will end up working with the same functionality as the iPhone visual voicemail and it's awesome. Just take a few minutes to set it up online and on your phone and then go to settings to enable it to interact with your call list. It will even email you transcripts of the voicemail which is really nice if you're in a situation where it's not appropriate to have your phone up to your ear.

It seems a lot of people don't know about this feature but it is excellent.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I repeat - set up Google Voice for your free visual Voicemail. When you set it up it will end up working with the same functionality as the iPhone visual voicemail and it's awesome. Just take a few minutes to set it up online and on your phone and then go to settings to enable it to interact with your call list. It will even email you transcripts of the voicemail which is really nice if you're in a situation where it's not appropriate to have your phone up to your ear.

It seems a lot of people don't know about this feature but it is excellent.

I also agree with this. Use Google Voice for the voicemail (can be set-up within the Google Voice app), and you will get a transcribed message that you can read, or I imagine it can also send you an email as well. Although it is not really that accurate on the transcriptions, you definitely can get the gist of the voicemail, or you can select play, and either hold it up to your ear, or use speaker and listen to it.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Interesting commentary. I have always had both iPhones and Android phones, that isn't going to change but I have some issues with the S 4. Glad you like it.
Try the Swype keyboard if you haven't already. Only thing I like better than the stock iPhone keyboard.

- - - Updated - - -

Iphones suck when you get used to the Galaxy range.

Troll.