Verizon Galaxy S4: No Message notification sound

brad419

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I get no sound when I get a message. Set on whistle and vibrate, get neither one. Help. GS4

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefstead

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: No Message notification sound

I get no sound when I get a message. Set on whistle and vibrate, get neither one. Help. GS4
I have a similar problem. Text/MMS are received and vibration works, but the selected tone does not play even with all volumes set to max.

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

A friend with the Sprint version had this same issue. He had to do a factory reset to get his notification sounds to work again.

Alex Myers1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

GS3. Same problem. Volume at full, notification sound and vibration selected, nothing happens when receiving a text. Am I missing something?

jawiler

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Do you have Timeriffic installed? It kills the sound, I had to uninstall it and now I have sound again.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Recommend an app called AudioManager... there is a free version on the app store.... it will show you the SIX different volume controls on the S4 (Alarm, Media, Ringer, Alert, System, and Voice call).

larua66

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

My husband has the GS3, received an update to the operating system a couple weeks ago to Android 4.1.2. He noticed a couple days ago that he gets no notification at all when he receives a message (no numbers on the messages icon, no sound, no vibration). Could the update to the OS cause this?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

When is android going to fix this problem. This has been a issue since droid x. There are people reporting same thing with the new droid max. Sad thing is it don't effect every phone so that is probably why it's still a issue

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Matt Mitchell1

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I had to go into the stock messaging app and choose the notification sound in there. It was set at Default Notification but no Notification sound was actually set. Once I chose one from the list and hit OK I was good to go. It shouldn't be this complicated.....

larua66

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

After trying numerous things, my husband went to the AT&T store. Turns out, an update to AT&T Messenger had taken over. The AT&T guy went in and disabled the AT&T Messenger app and now all works as before!

janasaurus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

I had this problem. on my galaxys2.. go into messages and then into the message menu, go right to the bottom and click rington. and then put in a tone. worked for me, hope it works for you

Scifidad

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

I too lost my notification and sounds on Messaging,(November 22, 2013, Bell Network, Canada)
S3 messaging notification and sounds worked fine up to 24 hours ago, I did nothing but used my apps,
At mid day i sent a note to message to a family member, when they did not respond I looked at the phone and to my surprise they had replied hours early but I did not receive the notification.

I have since done each and every noted fix on this forum with no favorable outcome. I have also reloaded the current version of firmware this morning with no change to the loss of notification and sound on Messaging. What is next full factory RESET? Please say NO!

Surely SAMSUNG has a fix for this? Tell me again why I switched from BB?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I too lost my notification and sounds on Messaging,(November 22, 2013, Bell Network, Canada)
S3 messaging notification and sounds worked fine up to 24 hours ago, I did nothing but used my apps,
At mid day i sent a note to message to a family member, when they did not respond I looked at the phone and to my surprise they had replied hours early but I did not receive the notification.

I have since done each and every noted fix on this forum with no favorable outcome. I have also reloaded the current version of firmware this morning with no change to the loss of notification and sound on Messaging. What is next full factory RESET? Please say NO!

Surely SAMSUNG has a fix for this? Tell me again why I switched from BB?

Your FIRST POST... and you in the Wrong Forum... AND BAITING people with "Tell me again why I switched from BB?"... ok, maybe you should go back to BB.

You tried everything... and messaging notification is the ONLY thing that is not working? You can get other notification sounds, music... if so it's of course not your speakers. I guess if you can not trouble shoot your problem, then you should be doing a factory reset.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Your FIRST POST... and you in the Wrong Forum... AND BAITING people with "Tell me again why I switched from BB?"... ok, maybe you should go back to BB.

You tried everything... and messaging notification is the ONLY thing that is not working? You can get other notification sounds, music... if so it's of course not your speakers. I guess if you can not trouble shoot your problem, then you should be doing a factory reset.

He's having a problem that others have had, with different phones, so he was asking for help. How is he in the wrong forum? So it's an S4 forum, others with different models are asking too.

Lighten up about the BB, he's new, give him a break on forum protocols. Geesh.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

How is he in the wrong forum?

I'm guessing you did not read the post... here, let me help.

Not only Bell network device, but also an S3.

I was also trying to give some advice about trouble shooting, but of course it's a little hard to say what their issue is since they said they tried everything... what is everything... what did they find. Factory reset is another good way of trouble shooting.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing you did not read the post... here, let me help.

Not only Bell network device, but also an S3.

I was also trying to give some advice about trouble shooting, but of course it's a little hard to say what their issue is since they said they tried everything... what is everything... what did they find. Factory reset is another good way of trouble shooting.

Aaaand, others from ATT, and Sprint, with S2's, Note 2's, other S3' s also had this problem. So I don't fault the guy for posting in a forum where others with similar phones are having the same problem on other networks.

My point is, kindness to a new member goes a long way.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Scifidad

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Brutal Group on the forum but no worries! I wandered into the local BELL Store this afternoon and after a few moments the Manager noticed that my phone had loaded in Google Hangout was not fully installed and took over the SMS notifications section of my phone, Once fully activated my SMS notification both icons and sounds came alive though I am now stuck with Google Hangout as my primary SMS App. For those who have had a similar issue, this is something to look into where Hangout or another SMS that may be loaded on your device.

For this who were not appreciative of my first post, if you get past your ego and attitude you may find a solution in someone else's post!

Everyone have a safe and fund holiday season!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173