Dev Ed vs Normal VZW GS4

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If I am running stock rooted with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery can I accept a VZW ota on either of these phones? Thanks. I like to run stock rooted but I always worry about an ota pushed to my phone screwing it up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If I am running stock rooted with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery can I accept a VZW ota on either of these phones? Thanks. I like to run stock rooted but I always worry about an ota pushed to my phone screwing it up.

I'm assuming this is a hypothetical question?

1. Both the Dev Ed and "normal" VZW S4 should be able to accept OTA updates in their default state. If, however, you install a custom recovery on either, then you will NOT be able to run OTA updates. (Naturally, If you run any ROM besides stock, you also will not be able to run OTA updates).

2. The big difference between the developer ed and the standard S4 is the ability to unlock the bootloader, which in turn allows for custom recoveries to be installed and opens the door for flashing ROMs. Here's one big potential issue I see with the developer edition, however...it seems like it would be the logical choice if you're planning on buying the device at full retail and want to root it and flash ROMs, etc...except that because the bootloader on the standard S4 can't be unlocked, devs have to use the Loki tool to make custom ROMs work...so there's a good chance that the majority of ROMs built for the Verizon S4 (intended for flashing with a Loki'd recovery), won't be able to be flashed on the developer ed...and since so few folks will actually own the dev ed in comparison to the standard model, I'm not sure much demand will be there to fix the problem. Does that make sense?

Now granted, I may have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about here...I am NOT a ROM developer, so it could be that's a non-issue...but it is something to think about.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry -- just to add to my post above...

Even if you prefer to run "rooted" stock, you should familiarize yourself with flashing ROMs regardless. The easiest way to keep up with updates once you are rooted is by manually flashing them. I've been running Android phones for quite a while now, and have NEVER installed an OTA.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry -- just to add to my post above...

Even if you prefer to run "rooted" stock, you should familiarize yourself with flashing ROMs regardless. The easiest way to keep up with updates once you are rooted is by manually flashing them. I've been running Android phones for quite a while now, and have NEVER installed an OTA.

You forgot me Pete? You walked me through flashing roms on my tbolt and I have flashed dozens. I just wondered if samsung and htc rooting "rules" were somehow different. I read several people say they are buying developer edition to be able to accept otas. What good is an unlocked bootloader if you can't install a custom recovery nor flash roms?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You forgot me Pete? You walked me through flashing roms on my tbolt and I have flashed dozens. I just wondered if samsung and htc rooting "rules" were somehow different. I read several people say they are buying developer edition to be able to accept otas. What good is an unlocked bootloader if you can't install a custom recovery nor flash roms?

Oh yeah...sorry, didn't catch the username!

Yeah, there are definitely slight differences between HTC and Samsung, but they are pretty similar. One nice thing about Samsung is ODIN, which makes it easy to flash factory images from your computer. Either way, if you've modified the stock recovery and installed CWM or TWRP, OTA updates are going to fail.

I agree with you about the purpose of unlocked bootloader.

As I mentioned, the idea of having the unlocked bootloader sounds great, but that's why I pointed out that the standard version doesn't have an unlocked bootloader at all, but there was a way found to get a custom recovery on it and flash ROMs, but only if devs build the ROMs using a tool that was released (Loki), to make the ROM compatible. If I were buying the dev edition, I'd be worried that it may be actually hindrance to installing ROMs. Maybe not...just something to look into...?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah...sorry, didn't catch the username!

Yeah, there are definitely slight differences between HTC and Samsung, but they are pretty similar. One nice thing about Samsung is ODIN, which makes it easy to flash factory images from your computer. Either way, if you've modified the stock recovery and installed CWM or TWRP, OTA updates are going to fail.

I agree with you about the purpose of unlocked bootloader.

As I mentioned, the idea of having the unlocked bootloader sounds great, but that's why I pointed out that the standard version doesn't have an unlocked bootloader at all, but there was a way found to get a custom recovery on it and flash ROMs, but only if devs build the ROMs using a tool that was released (Loki), to make the ROM compatible. If I were buying the dev edition, I'd be worried that it may be actually hindrance to installing ROMs. Maybe not...just something to look into...?

Oh, that s**ks. I didn't know there was no way to unlock the sammy bootloader yet. Even my moto locked to the gills phone has a bootloader unlock exploit.
I didn't want to deal with odin if I could avoid it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh, that s**ks. I didn't know there was no way to unlock the sammy bootloader yet. Even my moto locked to the gills phone has a bootloader unlock exploit.
I didn't want to deal with odin if I could avoid it.

That's the thing though...it really doesn't suck. With the Loki tool that one of the devs came up with, pretty much all the same functionality is there (custom recovery, ability to flash ROMs, etc), and since the Loki tools needs to be built into Recovery and the ROMs, it really doesn't change the process for the average user, like you or me. Again...this is why I wonder if the unlocked bootloader on the dev edition is even worth it?

I'm just an amateur hobbyist though...perhaps someone with more technical knowledge on the subject will chime in...?

ODIN isn't something you use often...but it is a great, easy-to-use tool for flashing full system images when the need arises. To my knowledge, HTC phones don't have anything similar, you have to do everything in HBOOT.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I just hate learning anything new! LOL I knew my way around the tbolt at the end. Still use it on wifi. I'll have to read about Loki and Odin. I don't really need a new phone but I have the itch. I like the gs4 just a little better than the htc one but $700 is a lot a cabbage just for another toy. Thing is, I LIKE toys.

I would LOVE a high end google phone but I doubt vzw will ever offer one.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I just hate learning anything new! LOL I knew my way around the tbolt at the end. Still use it on wifi. I'll have to read about Loki and Odin. I don't really need a new phone but I have the itch. I like the gs4 just a little better than the htc one but $700 is a lot a cabbage just for another toy. Thing is, I LIKE toys.

I would LOVE a high end google phone but I doubt vzw will ever offer one.

that's why I got an SG4 with my Verizon upgrade and also bought a Nexus 10 tablet... best of both worlds!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD