External Speaker not working

MacGal01

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the external speaker is no longer working on my phone. It will vibrate but will not ring, sound notifications or play music/videos out loud. If headphones are plugged in I can hear everything through the headphones. At this point I have checked all the settings I can think of, the phone has been power cycled, batter removed and left out for about 10 mins, and factory reset has been done.

It started this morning right after the alarm went off and I hit the snooze button. In between the time the alarm went off the first time and before the snooze alarm would go off a phone call came in. The call only rang for just a beat, not a full ring. It was like someone started to call you and decided to hang up after the first ring.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what could be causing this? Verizon says they will send a refurb phone which doesn't really make me happy since I have only had this one a month.

Thanks for any help.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Unless you are running a custom rom, kernel, or firmware you will probably need to take the phone. I don't think they have supplies to send refurbs anyways since the phone is still pretty new.

H3Dude

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I known of this happening to another guy. Had to swap the phone out. Bad speaker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Todd Cedars

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I too am having the same problem, save I cannot play music out of my stereo speakers. When I plug my 3.5 mm jack into my amplifier, the sound continues to only come from my S4. Any similar problems? Do I need an app like the one for a flashlight?

Any help would be much appreciated.

barrrc

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
This sameproblem happened to my Samsung... I can not use my external speaker for anything. It just does not work for anything at sll nomayter what. I JUST GOT THIS PHONE and tge speaker lasted 2 weeks and the one before it had a similar problem so I went back to Verizon and they are talking aboit sending me the same phone... I am not trying to hear that garbage... UPGRADE PLEASE???!?!?

Christine Smith1

May 11, 2013
Visit site
In another forum I read where people were pressing on the speaker or taking the back cover off the phone and press on the speaker. Mostly it started to work.

It's at least worth a try before sending it back good luck.

suellen54

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Galaxy 4S. Suddenly, no sound at all from the external speaker so of course I got no notification sounds and phone calls since the phone did not ring! My husband took the phone apart, reseated the speaker, and the phone works perfectly!

polimorphous

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Had this same problem, but when I set an alarm to see if it would ring, the sound (for videos, music, ringtones, everything) mysteriously came back!

AWA_CHEM

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Description of Problem: My Droid Samsung Charge smart phone lost its external speaker, just like everyone else's. My headset worked fine, so I knew it was an external speaker issue only. I did the usual quickie diagnostics (also I removed a "silent boot" program in case that was causing a problem). I turned the phone off and on, and repeated this with taking the battery out. With no success I called Verizon tech support and got past the first rep quickly, as I had already performed the usual diagnostics. She did talk about the problem and finally, as they always do, took the "lazy approach" and suggested a factory reset, which I always avoid like "The Plague". The advanced tech rep could not resolve anything, but was generally very helpful. Ultimately the problem had to be either (1) software or (2) hardware. He also suggested a factory reset, which I consider to be their version of the "Hail Mary Pass" in football, or "If all else fails do a factory reset and maybe we'll get lucky". (Of course, if it does work, no one will know what caused the problem, which insures a repeat of the problem at some point in the future).

Resolution of Problem: I finally solved my problem by checking with the forums on the phone (including this one). They all seem to say that sometimes taking the back cover off and tapping, or pressing, on the speaker can sometimes get the speaker working again. I removed the back cover and pressed on the plastic area that covered the actual speaker without any apparent result. Then, I was in the process of going to get a small screwdriver to removed the additional plastic covering to get at the actual external speaker, so I turned the phone off. In the process the phone played the "I'm turning off now" theme and Voila!, my speaker had come back to life. I've checked it, and so far so good. I am concerned, though, because I have no idea whether I did anything specific to fix it. In a sense, I've lost confidence in the Samsung Charge, though it has been a much better phone the the Motorola Droid, my first smart phone, which had screen problems on both the new phone and replacement phone.

shazainali

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
hi. dear
i am using galaxy s4 last 3 months during using this phone
the phone was awosam but last couple of days my external spekaer cant work
i cant hear any music or phone ringer
plz tell me what can i do
i reset my phone twice

shazain ali

Hailey LeMaster

May 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone did the same thing and the first time it happened I blew into the speakers and it started working, but today it started for the second time and i tried everything I could and nothing will work. :mad: :confused:

Hamza Jabbar

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks man just tap the speaker portion the net and the white plastic body repeatidly while the song is playing and it will work :)))) thanks alot guys it actually worked :D

cmatthews

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
It seems that the external speaker is no longer working on my phone. It will vibrate but will not ring, sound notifications or play music/videos out loud. If headphones are plugged in I can hear everything through the headphones. At this point I have checked all the settings I can think of, the phone has been power cycled, batter removed and left out for about 10 mins, and factory reset has been done.

It started this morning right after the alarm went off and I hit the snooze button. In between the time the alarm went off the first time and before the snooze alarm would go off a phone call came in. The call only rang for just a beat, not a full ring. It was like someone started to call you and decided to hang up after the first ring.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what could be causing this? Verizon says they will send a refurb phone which doesn't really make me happy since I have only had this one a month.

Thanks for any help.

cmatthews

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. Only my external speaker wasn't working. I tried all the above suggestions to no avail (except the factory reset). I had recently replaced my charging port so suspected that things just weren't lined up properly or something along those lines. I popped out the speaker as suggested. Please note that when you do this make sure you are right up against the plastic part and NOT in between the metal portions. The "outside" metal piece is separate from the charging port and actually clips into place under some other things to protect the port. After I had the speaker component out, there are two gold contacts smack in the middle. Each one folds over to apply tension. I simply pried these up a little bit and VOILA! Apparently, they were not making contact with the speaker component.

Hussnain Ch

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
It seems that the external speaker is no longer working on my phone. It will not vibrate but will not ring, sound notifications or play music/videos out loud. If headphones are plugged in I can hear everything through the headphones. At this point I have checked all the settings I can think of, the phone has been power cycled, batter removed and left out for about 10 mins, and factory reset has been done.

Thanks for any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol