07-14-2013 11:31 AM
100 1234
tools
    Just to recap...

1. The current method we had for gaining root, flashing alternate recoveries, flashing custom roms, etc.. does NOT work with this VRUAME7 ROM. So if you have root, or ever want root, or want to flash a custom rom, then DO NOT FLASH THIS update! At the time I am posting this, it is unknown if there will ever be a way around this, or if we will ever have the ability to root this or newer ROMs.
    2. This ROM/Update adds App2SD support. It helps a little. BUT it doesn't move/relocate all app data Example: pinned local music from Google Play Music still resides on internal storage
    3. This ROM/Update adds/includes Knox security updates which locks down the boot loader, breaks our current root tools, etc. and is an added security measure which can be used by those who attach their S4 to their work network, email, pim, and mobile device management solution.
    4. This Rom/Update includes a newer radio code. This might help with reception issues. More testing needs to be done.
    5. This Rom/Update is not available via OTA yet (not sure if or when it will be). If you understand the risk of loosing root, inability to flash custom roms, etc. or even REVERT to the previous STOCK VRUAMDK rom, then you can update to it via Samsung Kies or Verizon Upgrade Assistant You can also use ODIN to flash the rom file linked on Post #7 of this thread (you need to unzip that to gain the .MD5 file before flashing with Odin).
    07-10-2013 06:38 AM
    Can someone point me how to get this thing back to factory stock? I rooted and then installed CleanROM. Decided I didn't care to be rooted and updated to this yesterday. I can't boot into any Odin Mode right now (I get some weird screen) and would like to just have it factory. Don't care that I have to download everything again and set it all up. Any help would be appreciated. Basically I just want a clean slate/canvas to work with. Thanks!
    07-10-2013 10:28 AM
    Can someone point me how to get this thing back to factory stock? I rooted and then installed CleanROM. Decided I didn't care to be rooted and updated to this yesterday. I can't boot into any Odin Mode right now (I get some weird screen) and would like to just have it factory. Don't care that I have to download everything again and set it all up. Any help would be appreciated. Basically I just want a clean slate/canvas to work with. Thanks!
    If you installed this update, then you are stock.

What happens when you try to boot into download (ODIN) mode? Frankly, that's how you would probably have to do it...
    07-10-2013 11:26 AM
    @Mark_Venture your comment about AppstoSD is a little weird. Of course it doesn't make Google music pinned songs go to the SD card. Much like Pocket Casts or any other podcatcher, the developer would have to enable moving your stored files to SD card. That is in Google's hands. And apps2SD helped me a lot. I have about 30 3rd party apps with each of them moving 1-5MB of data to SD and 1 of them moving over 20MB. Adds up.

As for the radio. I find mine to work the same. I'll have to do more testing. Prior to the update I definitely found the hand off between LTE and 3G and back pretty sloppy and would interupt what I was doing. Hopefully this has been fixed or improved.
    07-10-2013 01:08 PM
    If you installed this update, then you are stock.

What happens when you try to boot into download (ODIN) mode? Frankly, that's how you would probably have to do it...
    I couldn't get it to, that was the problem. However, I finally got it. I guess I was holding down one of the buttons just a hair too long and it kept bypassing it and just rebooting the phone.
    07-10-2013 03:11 PM
    @Mark_Venture your comment about AppstoSD is a little weird. Of course it doesn't make Google music pinned songs go to the SD card. Much like Pocket Casts or any other podcatcher, the developer would have to enable moving your stored files to SD card. That is in Google's hands. And apps2SD helped me a lot. I have about 30 3rd party apps with each of them moving 1-5MB of data to SD and 1 of them moving over 20MB. Adds up.....
    As I read around different blogs and forums, there were many who didn't seem to understand this, and thought that Apps2SD support would be the "magic bullet" to cure their storage woes on the 16gig model, so I thought I'd try and point that out.

I thought the way I tried to explain was clear enough for people to understand that while Apps2SD was added, not all apps or their data can/will go to external micro SD.

BTW, your example... 30 apps moving 1-5MB and one over 20MB... Say those apps moved the max 5MB, that is a total of 150MB for the first 30 apps and 20 for the one = 170MB, when the phone starts out with ~8.5GIG free, and someone is running out of space on the phone because they used most of it (i.e. many gigs), the 170MB saved by Apps2sd barely makes it a help.
    07-10-2013 03:54 PM
    As I read around different blogs and forums, there were many who didn't seem to understand this, and thought that Apps2SD support would be the "magic bullet" to cure their storage woes on the 16gig model, so I thought I'd try and point that out.

I thought the way I tried to explain was clear enough for people to understand that while Apps2SD was added, not all apps or their data can/will go to external micro SD.

BTW, your example... 30 apps moving 1-5MB and one over 20MB... Say those apps moved the max 5MB, that is a total of 150MB for the first 30 apps and 20 for the one = 170MB, when the phone starts out with ~8.5GIG free, and someone is running out of space on the phone because they used most of it (i.e. many gigs), the 170MB saved by Apps2sd barely makes it a help.
    The true test is taking a popular racing game that has to download 200 meg extra and see if it moves it.
    07-10-2013 04:53 PM
    Has reception improved any?
    Always had full bars before update, still have full bars after update.

Posted via Android Central App Using My Galaxy S4
    07-10-2013 05:06 PM
    Before I had updated, at one point I had disabled the PageBuddyNotiSvc app in the application settings menu to get rid of the stupid suggestions that pop up when I plug headphones or an aux cable in. Upon doing the update this app got re-enabled. This morning I had disabled it again and not only did the suggestions go away, but so did the stupid volume warnings. So that is a welcome change.

The phone also did immediately feel a bit quicker, and I was one of the few that always thought it was fast and lag free already.
    07-10-2013 06:06 PM
    The true test is taking a popular racing game that has to download 200 meg extra and see if it moves it.
    Ok, Asphalt 7...

Total 1.13 GB
    Application 83.95 MB
    SD Card App 1.05GB
    Data 0.00 B
    SD Card data 0.00 B

Hit MOVE TO SD CARD... Says "moving..." then reports...
    Total 1.13 GB
    Application 12.82 MB
    SD Card App 1.12GB
    Data 0.00 B
    SD Card data 0.00 B

Either way, my 32gig micro SD card shows... total space 29.71 GB and available space 29.48 GB and Internal storage shows 1.35 GB available, yet application Manager shows 8.2GB used, and 1.5GB free.

So as expected, there is no way this app is saving to the external SD.
    majorpayne likes this.
    07-10-2013 07:03 PM
    It seems like the purple smudging problem in gray menu bars when scrolled up and down has been fixed with the update.
    07-10-2013 07:17 PM
    Before I had updated, at one point I had disabled the PageBuddyNotiSvc app in the application settings menu to get rid of the stupid suggestions that pop up when I plug headphones or an aux cable in. Upon doing the update this app got re-enabled. This morning I had disabled it again and not only did the suggestions go away, but so did the stupid volume warnings. So that is a welcome change.

The phone also did immediately feel a bit quicker, and I was one of the few that always thought it was fast and lag free already.
    I'm still getting volume warning with that disabled.
    07-10-2013 08:43 PM
    The talk back issue is gone when you go online (the "loading started" on webpages crap) and when you check a pic in the gallery ("check box is currently checked"). Thank goodness. That was irritating. And its super fast even though I didn't have lag issues before except in the gallery and so far so good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-10-2013 08:51 PM
    Keep the findings coming. I enjoy reading about all the changes!
    07-10-2013 10:13 PM
    Ok, Asphalt 7...
    Either way, my 32gig micro SD card shows... total space 29.71 GB and available space 29.48 GB and Internal storage shows 1.35 GB available, yet application Manager shows 8.2GB used, and 1.5GB free.
    So as expected, there is no way this app is saving to the external SD.
    I tried it with Modern Combat 4. 2GB installation, moving it to the SD card only reduced device memory by 0.4GB. It's better than nothing but disappointing. At least for me it's a non issue as I use my tablet for games, and am at less than 50% of my storage with all the apps loaded I really care about. Still would be nice to see a means of moving the entire thing to the SD card.
    07-11-2013 12:40 AM
    ...moving it to the SD card only reduced device memory by 0.4GB. It's better than nothing but disappointing. At least for me it's a non issue as I use my tablet for games....
    I have my tablets for Gaming too, but its nice to have stuff on my phone that can keep my son occupied when we go out, if he's acting up.

My S4 is my WORK device, it has to stay stock, unrooted, ready to be wiped and re-enrolled with our MDM product at any moment, so I wont load much beyond RSA SecurID soft token, MS Lync, and one or two small but helpful apps made by my company.

I was thinking of an S4 for my personal line since I haven't purchased or received a new personal phone since getting my Droid Bionic from the VCC in 2011. I had been using my Thunderbolt until it got its ICS update making it really really slow. Now using the Bionic, I can't stand its screen or camera quality. But the storage space issue, along with reception issues, and now the loss of Root capability, has swayed me away from the S4 as my next personal device.
    07-11-2013 05:26 AM
    I have my tablets for Gaming too, but its nice to have stuff on my phone that can keep my son occupied when we go out, if he's acting up.

My S4 is my WORK device, it has to stay stock, unrooted, ready to be wiped and re-enrolled with our MDM product at any moment, so I wont load much beyond RSA SecurID soft token, MS Lync, and one or two small but helpful apps made by my company.

I was thinking of an S4 for my personal line since I haven't purchased or received a new personal phone since getting my Droid Bionic from the VCC in 2011. I had been using my Thunderbolt until it got its ICS update making it really really slow. Now using the Bionic, I can't stand its screen or camera quality. But the storage space issue, along with reception issues, and now the loss of Root capability, has swayed me away from the S4 as my next personal device.
    There will always be something else around the corner. I'm kind of eyeing the new LG device set to announce soon but not sure what carrier it will drop on.
    07-11-2013 06:58 AM
    There will always be something else around the corner. I'm kind of eyeing the new LG device set to announce soon but not sure what carrier it will drop on.
    Motorola is coming up with a new phone - actually a small family of them. I love their Razrs and I'm using a Maxx HD at the moment. It's actually taken a lot of time from the S4. The new Moto is coming in August (or at least the announcement is) and I'm kind of excited about that. If you like near stock android and a device that feels like you could open coconuts with it, the Razrs are your phone. I hope the new Ultras continue that.
    07-11-2013 07:39 AM
    The talk back issue is gone when you go online (the "loading started" on webpages crap) and when you check a pic in the gallery ("check box is currently checked"). Thank goodness. That was irritating. And its super fast even though I didn't have lag issues before except in the gallery and so far so good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Sort of related to what you noted in regard to the gallery and Talkback, they also fixed the issue where the top and bottom lines failed to disappear when selecting a photo.
    MBM7881 likes this.
    07-11-2013 07:50 AM
    I still haven't done this update yet. Can anyone report if battery life is affected by the update? I just got my S4 Monday, and finally had to charge it last night, ridiculous I know! I'm a huge fan of good battery life, and love that I can go almost 2 days on a single charge. Anyways, if someone could chime in on the battery life, I'd appreciate it!
    07-11-2013 08:14 AM
    I tried the Moto Razr when it first launched on Verizon. Wasn't a fan of it for sure.

Now if you had the Razr V3 back in the day.....that was the phone to have!
    07-11-2013 08:22 AM
    Sort of related to what you noted in regard to the gallery and Talkback, they also fixed the issue where the top and bottom lines failed to disappear when selecting a photo.
    Oh really? That irritated me too. Thanks! I'm going to have to check this out

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app
    jsuns likes this.
    07-11-2013 08:29 AM
    I still haven't done this update yet. Can anyone report if battery life is affected by the update? I just got my S4 Monday, and finally had to charge it last night, ridiculous I know! I'm a huge fan of good battery life, and love that I can go almost 2 days on a single charge. Anyways, if someone could chime in on the battery life, I'd appreciate it!
    FYI, I too am a new owner (last Saturday)... I am getting two days/nights out of mine; just applied the update yesterday so will have to see how it goes? I worried with the large, bright screen and the power of this device if the battery life would be horrible? So far am very pleased!
    07-11-2013 08:40 AM
    So far haven't had any issues with this update. The most annoying issue I had prior to this update was bluetooth media not connecting automatically to my car- thankfully this has been resolved.

I didn't see this posted yet but here is the link to the official change log:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...e/galaxys4.pdf

I was excited to see this listed as an added capability but don't see it anywhere on my S4.

Wi-Fi quick on/off toggle in Notification Panel

Anyone seeing this toggle after upgrading?
    garublador likes this.
    07-11-2013 08:52 AM
    So far haven't had any issues with this update. The most annoying issue I had prior to this update was bluetooth media not connecting automatically to my car- thankfully this has been resolved.

I didn't see this posted yet but here is the link to the official change log:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...e/galaxys4.pdf

I was excited to see this listed as an added capability but don't see it anywhere on my S4.

Wi-Fi quick on/off toggle in Notification Panel

Anyone seeing this toggle after upgrading?
    Nope, that toggle is still unavailable

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    07-11-2013 09:12 AM
100 1234