07-14-2013 12:31 PM
100 ... 234
tools
    I tried the Moto Razr when it first launched on Verizon. Wasn't a fan of it for sure.

Now if you had the Razr V3 back in the day.....that was the phone to have!
    Do you mean the Android Razr or the flip phone? I still have the first Android Razr Maxx. It's still a good phone.
    07-11-2013 10:41 AM
    I have my tablets for Gaming too, but its nice to have stuff on my phone that can keep my son occupied when we go out, if he's acting up.

My S4 is my WORK device, it has to stay stock, unrooted, ready to be wiped and re-enrolled with our MDM product at any moment, so I wont load much beyond RSA SecurID soft token, MS Lync, and one or two small but helpful apps made by my company.

I was thinking of an S4 for my personal line since I haven't purchased or received a new personal phone since getting my Droid Bionic from the VCC in 2011. I had been using my Thunderbolt until it got its ICS update making it really really slow. Now using the Bionic, I can't stand its screen or camera quality. But the storage space issue, along with reception issues, and now the loss of Root capability, has swayed me away from the S4 as my next personal device.
    Would the 32GB version give you what's needed? My son has his own Android phone with games plus getting his own tablet soon as well. My reception seems almost identical with what I was getting with my Verizon iPhone 4s, perhaps just a slight bit weaker. It's low in a few indoor areas but better than the AT&T iPhone I had as it would have no signal in more indoor areas. Rooting would be fun to tinker with but I really have no specific need, I've never done it on any of my phones, too many stories of problems including from a co-worker who did it with his S2 and had problems with slowness and stability. Hopefully something more to your liking comes along soon.
    07-11-2013 11:13 AM
    http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...e/galaxys4.pdf

Wi-Fi quick on/off toggle in Notification Panel

Anyone seeing this toggle after upgrading?
    Nope, that toggle is still unavailable

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Is it possible it's not there by default, but can be added under the customization screen for the quick toggles?

Does seem like the VZ meant to put it in (may be pulled from update last minute?)
    07-11-2013 12:41 PM
    Do you mean the Android Razr or the flip phone? I still have the first Android Razr Maxx. It's still a good phone.
    Razr V3.. "dumb phone" from back around 2004-2005 or so. There was a V3, V3i, V3C, V3M, and many other variations.
    Now if you had the Razr V3 back in the day.....that was the phone to have!
    Ahh.. those were the days Although I kind of liked my StarTac and my V9M better than my V3C.
    07-11-2013 01:04 PM
    Would the 32GB version give you what's needed?...
    For app/data storage on my PERSONAL phone, yes. BUT reception is still an issue for me with the S4. Both demo (from Verizon's VES demo program), and the retail S4 I have in front of me do have issues. I need to use it more and do more tests, but initial quick check of signal strength with ME7 hasn't seemed to improve it.

I'm in no hurry for a new phone. I'll wait for HTC One and some of the Moto phones coming
    07-11-2013 01:09 PM
    Downloaded the OTA on min Wednesday, look less then 10 minutes on 4G, don't know if that is fast or not, have not really downloaded such a large file yet. the one thing I noticed right away was my phone seemed a lot snappier, it seems to open and close screens quicker and smoother, and switch between panels faster as well. This could be just how I am seeing it as well.
    07-11-2013 04:44 PM
    Razr V3.. "dumb phone" from back around 2004-2005 or so. There was a V3, V3i, V3C, V3M, and many other variations.

Ahh.. those were the days Although I kind of liked my StarTac and my V9M better than my V3C.
    There are times when I miss my old LG Envy... (it doesn't last long).

For app/data storage on my PERSONAL phone, yes. BUT reception is still an issue for me with the S4. Both demo (from Verizon's VES demo program), and the retail S4 I have in front of me do have issues. I need to use it more and do more tests, but initial quick check of signal strength with ME7 hasn't seemed to improve it.

I'm in no hurry for a new phone. I'll wait for HTC One and some of the Moto phones coming
    Just based on my own personal experience with Android phones, when it comes to reception: Samsung < HTC < Motorola
    Too bad my personal preference for just about every other aspect of the phone seems to be the other way around!
    07-11-2013 05:04 PM
    edit: posting a new thread
    07-11-2013 06:58 PM
    Just swapped a phone with someone on Craigslist all ok at the time called Verizon not stolen or lost but the phone is stuck in demo mode once you press home button goes to normal tried to reset to factory but every time I connect to Internet it downloads on its on screen always on playing with demo mode on anyway to unroot that from the start tits MDM and and after that it has mdm_llk what ever is that suppose to mean need help please thx .
    07-11-2013 07:38 PM
    There are times when I miss my old LG Envy... (it doesn't last long).....

Just based on my own personal experience with Android phones, when it comes to reception: Samsung < HTC < Motorola
    Too bad my personal preference for just about every other aspect of the phone seems to be the other way around!
    OT, I miss my enV too... great camera (for its time), pretty good keyboard, and great battery life. It still works, its in its box in the basement along with the many others I've had over the years.

Not just android phones, but with a few exceptions my experience has been that for reception Samsung has been the worst. (Sammy U620 "feature phone" was great, Juke was very good, the rest have been horrible). Moto has been the best. Except for my Cholocate (VX8500), LG was near Moto for the ones I've had, and HTC's windows mobile phones not that great, but their Android are near enough to Moto. My Blackberries have had very good reception, between HTC and Moto, except for my T-Mobile ones but that was likely T-Mobile's fault, not BB).
    07-11-2013 07:55 PM
    Just swapped a phone with someone on Craigslist all ok at the time called Verizon not stolen or lost but the phone is stuck in demo mode once you press home button goes to normal tried to reset to factory but every time I connect to Internet it downloads on its on screen always on playing with demo mode on anyway to unroot that from the start tits MDM and and after that it has mdm_llk what ever is that suppose to mean need help please thx .
    sounds like a stolen store demo phone
    07-11-2013 08:13 PM
    I called verizion and they said phone was not lost/stolen there has to be a way to get it off completely by flashing or something
    07-11-2013 08:22 PM
    Downloaded the OTA on min Wednesday, look less then 10 minutes on 4G, don't know if that is fast or not, have not really downloaded such a large file yet. the one thing I noticed right away was my phone seemed a lot snappier, it seems to open and close screens quicker and smoother, and switch between panels faster as well. This could be just how I am seeing it as well.
    Doing the same right now over wifi. Looking at 15 minutes to download.
    07-11-2013 09:29 PM
    done. No wifi toggle...UGH. I'm holding off on a factory reset for now. There has to be an easier way.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-11-2013 10:36 PM
    The time is updated much faster after unlocking the phone. Seems instantaneous now.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    07-11-2013 10:50 PM
    done. No wifi toggle...UGH. I'm holding off on a factory reset for now. There has to be an easier way.

I'm sure given enough time Verizon will put out another update for this issue since a lot of people have it. Currently battery guru turns wifi off and on based on my location so I barely ever have to manually do anything. I'm not going to do a hard reset just for WiFi toggle.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    07-11-2013 11:19 PM
    Potential bug found...

The phone stopped seeing and mounting my MicroSD card. Apps that were moved to SD showed as a "grayed out" icon with SD on them. Going into Settings -> Storage, the MicroSD wasn't listed. and the Mount button was grayed out, like there was no SD inserted in the phone.

Power down, and power up, didn't fix. Power down, reseat SD and battery, and power back up didn't fix it.

Taking the card out of the phone and putting it in a card reader attached to my PC, and running chkdsk /f, no errors were found. But then when I put it back in the phone and powered it back on, the card was found and mounted.
    07-12-2013 07:02 AM

Widgetsoid. It takes up a little more in your notifications area, but its what I've used in the past, so I installed it on the S4.
    07-12-2013 07:05 AM
    I ran the update, and immediately after did a factory reset. I now haz a wifi toggle in my notification area.
    07-12-2013 11:51 AM
    I ran into issues after the update - no WiFi toggle was just an indication.

I could not get my phone to reboot without getting stuck on the Verizon splash screen. Tech support told me to boot into recovery and wipe the cache. That got the phone up and running but did not fix the issue. I ended up having to do a reset and restore.

Once I did the reset the WiFi toggle was there. I think the WiFi toggle missing after the update indicates that the update did not fully install correctly.

Definitely do a reset if you got the update but don't see the WiFi toggle widget. You'll be glad you did because your phone will run much better afterwards.

Now that Google has the restore your device feature all your installed apps will download automatically for you, some settings like wallpaper will be restored and connected wifi network settings will also be there. It is much less of a PITA to do a reset now than it used to be.

Bonus tip: take screenshots off all your screens and your app drawer before you reset to help you get everything back the way you want.
    majorpayne likes this.
    07-12-2013 12:56 PM
    I updated my right from the phone. I had no problems
    07-12-2013 01:01 PM
    I experienced the same issues - the most recent update fixed all. Settings> More> About Phone > Software Update
    07-13-2013 03:27 PM
    I updated my right from the phone. I had no problems
    Same here, if re-seting only give the WI-FI toggle, I can wait till the phone starts to crap out. So far from all the published info, It has everything properly installed and running that the update provided. I don't need the toggle as its easy to get at in settings, and the phone works perfect right now.
    07-13-2013 06:57 PM
    Here are my observations. I had to do the factory rest to get the Wifi option.
    1) WI-FI is faster. Phone was reporting 433 MB link on 5GHz channel.
    2) Battery appears to drain faster. Drained a whole battery in 3 hours after the reset (although the phone was doing a bunch of work and syncing)
    3) Radio reception still not the best. Won't pull 4g unless in a very strong signal area

UPDATE: 24 hours after the reset, Battery drain appears to be back to closer to pre-update consumption
    07-14-2013 12:37 AM
    just did a reset for grins - wifi toggle is there.
    07-14-2013 12:31 PM
100 ... 234