Software Update

nateonator

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Trying to update my s4 but when i plug my phone into my computer i am not getting the prompt for the Verizon update program. Am i forgetting something?
After your drivers install, unplug and the plug your phone in again. When the window pops up again, click the verizon link.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Okay ran some testing. Definitely noticable improvement in speed in both opening and closing apps and while in the gallery. It just runs smoothly. Some new wallpapers. WiFi toggle is the same on Verizon which sucks. Still digging tho.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Open up the camera app after installing. It takes it about a minute to update the camera software. I haven't noticed anything new with though, maybe just bug fixes.

Posted via Android Central App

sox08

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
did anyone who installed via vzw software upgrade assistant notice that after the download that the install takes forever or is that just mine??

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
did anyone who installed via vzw software upgrade assistant notice that after the download that the install takes forever or is that just mine??

I think the update is almost 2gb so it will definitely take awhile to download.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I installed using Kies. I had trouble installing using Verizon software. It wouldn't recognize the device.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Just to recap...

1. The current method we had for gaining root, flashing alternate recoveries, flashing custom roms, etc.. does NOT work with this VRUAME7 ROM. So if you have root, or ever want root, or want to flash a custom rom, then DO NOT FLASH THIS update! At the time I am posting this, it is unknown if there will ever be a way around this, or if we will ever have the ability to root this or newer ROMs. :(
  2. This ROM/Update adds App2SD support. It helps a little. BUT it doesn't move/relocate all app data Example: pinned local music from Google Play Music still resides on internal storage
  3. This ROM/Update adds/includes Knox security updates which locks down the boot loader, breaks our current root tools, etc. and is an added security measure which can be used by those who attach their S4 to their work network, email, pim, and mobile device management solution.
  4. This Rom/Update includes a newer radio code. This might help with reception issues. More testing needs to be done.
  5. This Rom/Update is not available via OTA yet (not sure if or when it will be). If you understand the risk of loosing root, inability to flash custom roms, etc. or even REVERT to the previous STOCK VRUAMDK rom, then you can update to it via Samsung Kies or Verizon Upgrade Assistant You can also use ODIN to flash the rom file linked on Post #7 of this thread (you need to unzip that to gain the .MD5 file before flashing with Odin).

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Can someone point me how to get this thing back to factory stock? I rooted and then installed CleanROM. Decided I didn't care to be rooted and updated to this yesterday. I can't boot into any Odin Mode right now (I get some weird screen) and would like to just have it factory. Don't care that I have to download everything again and set it all up. Any help would be appreciated. Basically I just want a clean slate/canvas to work with. :) Thanks!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Can someone point me how to get this thing back to factory stock? I rooted and then installed CleanROM. Decided I didn't care to be rooted and updated to this yesterday. I can't boot into any Odin Mode right now (I get some weird screen) and would like to just have it factory. Don't care that I have to download everything again and set it all up. Any help would be appreciated. Basically I just want a clean slate/canvas to work with. :) Thanks!

If you installed this update, then you are stock.

What happens when you try to boot into download (ODIN) mode? Frankly, that's how you would probably have to do it...

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
@Mark_Venture your comment about AppstoSD is a little weird. Of course it doesn't make Google music pinned songs go to the SD card. Much like Pocket Casts or any other podcatcher, the developer would have to enable moving your stored files to SD card. That is in Google's hands. And apps2SD helped me a lot. I have about 30 3rd party apps with each of them moving 1-5MB of data to SD and 1 of them moving over 20MB. Adds up.

As for the radio. I find mine to work the same. I'll have to do more testing. Prior to the update I definitely found the hand off between LTE and 3G and back pretty sloppy and would interupt what I was doing. Hopefully this has been fixed or improved.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If you installed this update, then you are stock.

What happens when you try to boot into download (ODIN) mode? Frankly, that's how you would probably have to do it...

I couldn't get it to, that was the problem. However, I finally got it. I guess I was holding down one of the buttons just a hair too long and it kept bypassing it and just rebooting the phone.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
@Mark_Venture your comment about AppstoSD is a little weird. Of course it doesn't make Google music pinned songs go to the SD card. Much like Pocket Casts or any other podcatcher, the developer would have to enable moving your stored files to SD card. That is in Google's hands. And apps2SD helped me a lot. I have about 30 3rd party apps with each of them moving 1-5MB of data to SD and 1 of them moving over 20MB. Adds up.....
As I read around different blogs and forums, there were many who didn't seem to understand this, and thought that Apps2SD support would be the "magic bullet" to cure their storage woes on the 16gig model, so I thought I'd try and point that out.

I thought the way I tried to explain was clear enough for people to understand that while Apps2SD was added, not all apps or their data can/will go to external micro SD.

BTW, your example... 30 apps moving 1-5MB and one over 20MB... Say those apps moved the max 5MB, that is a total of 150MB for the first 30 apps and 20 for the one = 170MB, when the phone starts out with ~8.5GIG free, and someone is running out of space on the phone because they used most of it (i.e. many gigs), the 170MB saved by Apps2sd barely makes it a help.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As I read around different blogs and forums, there were many who didn't seem to understand this, and thought that Apps2SD support would be the "magic bullet" to cure their storage woes on the 16gig model, so I thought I'd try and point that out.

I thought the way I tried to explain was clear enough for people to understand that while Apps2SD was added, not all apps or their data can/will go to external micro SD.

BTW, your example... 30 apps moving 1-5MB and one over 20MB... Say those apps moved the max 5MB, that is a total of 150MB for the first 30 apps and 20 for the one = 170MB, when the phone starts out with ~8.5GIG free, and someone is running out of space on the phone because they used most of it (i.e. many gigs), the 170MB saved by Apps2sd barely makes it a help.

The true test is taking a popular racing game that has to download 200 meg extra and see if it moves it.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Before I had updated, at one point I had disabled the PageBuddyNotiSvc app in the application settings menu to get rid of the stupid suggestions that pop up when I plug headphones or an aux cable in. Upon doing the update this app got re-enabled. This morning I had disabled it again and not only did the suggestions go away, but so did the stupid volume warnings. So that is a welcome change.

The phone also did immediately feel a bit quicker, and I was one of the few that always thought it was fast and lag free already.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
The true test is taking a popular racing game that has to download 200 meg extra and see if it moves it.
Ok, Asphalt 7...

Total 1.13 GB
Application 83.95 MB
SD Card App 1.05GB
Data 0.00 B
SD Card data 0.00 B

Hit MOVE TO SD CARD... Says "moving..." then reports...
Total 1.13 GB
Application 12.82 MB
SD Card App 1.12GB
Data 0.00 B
SD Card data 0.00 B

Either way, my 32gig micro SD card shows... total space 29.71 GB and available space 29.48 GB and Internal storage shows 1.35 GB available, yet application Manager shows 8.2GB used, and 1.5GB free.

So as expected, there is no way this app is saving to the external SD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer