Software Update

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Before I had updated, at one point I had disabled the PageBuddyNotiSvc app in the application settings menu to get rid of the stupid suggestions that pop up when I plug headphones or an aux cable in. Upon doing the update this app got re-enabled. This morning I had disabled it again and not only did the suggestions go away, but so did the stupid volume warnings. So that is a welcome change.

The phone also did immediately feel a bit quicker, and I was one of the few that always thought it was fast and lag free already.

I'm still getting volume warning with that disabled.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The talk back issue is gone when you go online (the "loading started" on webpages crap) and when you check a pic in the gallery ("check box is currently checked"). Thank goodness. That was irritating. And its super fast even though I didn't have lag issues before except in the gallery and so far so good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Asphalt 7...
Either way, my 32gig micro SD card shows... total space 29.71 GB and available space 29.48 GB and Internal storage shows 1.35 GB available, yet application Manager shows 8.2GB used, and 1.5GB free.
So as expected, there is no way this app is saving to the external SD.

I tried it with Modern Combat 4. 2GB installation, moving it to the SD card only reduced device memory by 0.4GB. It's better than nothing but disappointing. At least for me it's a non issue as I use my tablet for games, and am at less than 50% of my storage with all the apps loaded I really care about. Still would be nice to see a means of moving the entire thing to the SD card.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
...moving it to the SD card only reduced device memory by 0.4GB. It's better than nothing but disappointing. At least for me it's a non issue as I use my tablet for games....
I have my tablets for Gaming too, but its nice to have stuff on my phone that can keep my son occupied when we go out, if he's acting up.

My S4 is my WORK device, it has to stay stock, unrooted, ready to be wiped and re-enrolled with our MDM product at any moment, so I wont load much beyond RSA SecurID soft token, MS Lync, and one or two small but helpful apps made by my company.

I was thinking of an S4 for my personal line since I haven't purchased or received a new personal phone since getting my Droid Bionic from the VCC in 2011. I had been using my Thunderbolt until it got its ICS update making it really really slow. Now using the Bionic, I can't stand its screen or camera quality. But the storage space issue, along with reception issues, and now the loss of Root capability, has swayed me away from the S4 as my next personal device. :(

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have my tablets for Gaming too, but its nice to have stuff on my phone that can keep my son occupied when we go out, if he's acting up.

My S4 is my WORK device, it has to stay stock, unrooted, ready to be wiped and re-enrolled with our MDM product at any moment, so I wont load much beyond RSA SecurID soft token, MS Lync, and one or two small but helpful apps made by my company.

I was thinking of an S4 for my personal line since I haven't purchased or received a new personal phone since getting my Droid Bionic from the VCC in 2011. I had been using my Thunderbolt until it got its ICS update making it really really slow. Now using the Bionic, I can't stand its screen or camera quality. But the storage space issue, along with reception issues, and now the loss of Root capability, has swayed me away from the S4 as my next personal device. :(

There will always be something else around the corner. I'm kind of eyeing the new LG device set to announce soon but not sure what carrier it will drop on.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
There will always be something else around the corner. I'm kind of eyeing the new LG device set to announce soon but not sure what carrier it will drop on.

Motorola is coming up with a new phone - actually a small family of them. I love their Razrs and I'm using a Maxx HD at the moment. It's actually taken a lot of time from the S4. The new Moto is coming in August (or at least the announcement is) and I'm kind of excited about that. If you like near stock android and a device that feels like you could open coconuts with it, the Razrs are your phone. I hope the new Ultras continue that.

jsuns

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The talk back issue is gone when you go online (the "loading started" on webpages crap) and when you check a pic in the gallery ("check box is currently checked"). Thank goodness. That was irritating. And its super fast even though I didn't have lag issues before except in the gallery and so far so good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Sort of related to what you noted in regard to the gallery and Talkback, they also fixed the issue where the top and bottom lines failed to disappear when selecting a photo.

RazorDroid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't done this update yet. Can anyone report if battery life is affected by the update? I just got my S4 Monday, and finally had to charge it last night, ridiculous I know! I'm a huge fan of good battery life, and love that I can go almost 2 days on a single charge. Anyways, if someone could chime in on the battery life, I'd appreciate it!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Moto Razr when it first launched on Verizon. Wasn't a fan of it for sure.

Now if you had the Razr V3 back in the day.....that was the phone to have! :D

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sort of related to what you noted in regard to the gallery and Talkback, they also fixed the issue where the top and bottom lines failed to disappear when selecting a photo.

Oh really? That irritated me too. Thanks! I'm going to have to check this out

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

Storm_75

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't done this update yet. Can anyone report if battery life is affected by the update? I just got my S4 Monday, and finally had to charge it last night, ridiculous I know! I'm a huge fan of good battery life, and love that I can go almost 2 days on a single charge. Anyways, if someone could chime in on the battery life, I'd appreciate it!

FYI, I too am a new owner (last Saturday)... I am getting two days/nights out of mine; just applied the update yesterday so will have to see how it goes? I worried with the large, bright screen and the power of this device if the battery life would be horrible? So far am very pleased!

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So far haven't had any issues with this update. The most annoying issue I had prior to this update was bluetooth media not connecting automatically to my car- thankfully this has been resolved.

I didn't see this posted yet but here is the link to the official change log:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/galaxys4.pdf

I was excited to see this listed as an added capability but don't see it anywhere on my S4.

Wi-Fi quick on/off toggle in Notification Panel

Anyone seeing this toggle after upgrading?

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So far haven't had any issues with this update. The most annoying issue I had prior to this update was bluetooth media not connecting automatically to my car- thankfully this has been resolved.

I didn't see this posted yet but here is the link to the official change log:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/galaxys4.pdf

I was excited to see this listed as an added capability but don't see it anywhere on my S4.

Wi-Fi quick on/off toggle in Notification Panel

Anyone seeing this toggle after upgrading?

Nope, that toggle is still unavailable

Sent from my Galaxy S4

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Moto Razr when it first launched on Verizon. Wasn't a fan of it for sure.

Do you mean the Android Razr or the flip phone? I still have the first Android Razr Maxx. It's still a good phone.

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Would the 32GB version give you what's needed? My son has his own Android phone with games plus getting his own tablet soon as well. My reception seems almost identical with what I was getting with my Verizon iPhone 4s, perhaps just a slight bit weaker. It's low in a few indoor areas but better than the AT&T iPhone I had as it would have no signal in more indoor areas. Rooting would be fun to tinker with but I really have no specific need, I've never done it on any of my phones, too many stories of problems including from a co-worker who did it with his S2 and had problems with slowness and stability. Hopefully something more to your liking comes along soon.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Do you mean the Android Razr or the flip phone? I still have the first Android Razr Maxx. It's still a good phone.
Razr V3.. "dumb phone" from back around 2004-2005 or so. There was a V3, V3i, V3C, V3M, and many other variations.
Ahh.. those were the days :) Although I kind of liked my StarTac and my V9M better than my V3C.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Would the 32GB version give you what's needed?...
For app/data storage on my PERSONAL phone, yes. BUT reception is still an issue for me with the S4. Both demo (from Verizon's VES demo program), and the retail S4 I have in front of me do have issues. I need to use it more and do more tests, but initial quick check of signal strength with ME7 hasn't seemed to improve it.

I'm in no hurry for a new phone. I'll wait for HTC One and some of the Moto phones coming