08-26-2013 06:59 AM
48 12
tools
    Personally, I think I'd blame Samsung just a little more than Verizon.
    How can you blame Samsung? It was Verizon who made Samsung remove features from the phone. Just look at the S4 on other carriers. Verizon is to blame.
    07-13-2013 09:17 PM
    First someone said:

@Fatboy97...Thanks! I will leave the device as it is without the toggle... I have better things to do! Big Red has their cabasa up their...

Posted via Android Central App
    Then you say:

How can you blame Samsung? It was Verizon who made Samsung remove features from the phone. Just look at the S4 on other carriers. Verizon is to blame.
    Verizon is not the one that programmed this being put on the Verizon S4... Samsung did... if it does not work without a full Factory Reset then I blame Samsung, not Verizon. If Samsung had done it correctly we would not have to do a Factory Reset.
    07-14-2013 07:15 PM
    I agree I don't think one should have to do a reset to enable features. I can understand a reboot. Not sure who's Idea it was though.
    07-14-2013 07:38 PM
    First someone said:

Then you say:

Verizon is not the one that programmed this being put on the Verizon S4... Samsung did... if it does not work without a full Factory Reset then I blame Samsung, not Verizon. If Samsung had done it correctly we would not have to do a Factory Reset.
    If Verizon did not request Samsung to remove it in the first place, we would not be having this problem. So I blame Verizon.
    General Tso likes this.
    07-14-2013 09:39 PM
    If Verizon did not request Samsung to remove it in the first place, we would not be having this problem. So I blame Verizon.
    Then I'd say we'd have to agree to disagree... it could be possibly partially Verizon's fault, but I will still standby my statements.
    07-15-2013 08:41 AM
    I agree I don't think one should have to do a reset to enable features. I can understand a reboot. Not sure who's Idea it was though.
    I'm not sure it was intentional. I agree we shouldn't have to, but it appears as if it's a really good idea, anyway. After the update I did a soft reboot and after that BatteryGuru went nuts and drained my battery. I don't know if it had anything to do with the update or not, but it made me wonder what all hadn't gotten fixed, or worse, what broke, if my OTA update didn't fully "take."

I did the factory reset and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Anything on your SD card is safe and it's pretty easy to back up launcher configurations (in Nova, at least) and SMS. Many other apps have ways to backup app data as well. Just make sure to save everything to your SD card. The only annoyance is remembering to disable all of the notifications you don't want, but there's a built in reminder for that (i.e. you get an unwanted notification which reminds you to turn off notifications in that app).

FWIW, my battery life appears to be better now than it ever has been after the factory reset, and that's without BatteryGuru. Everything seems to be running at least as smooth, if not smoother, as well. Neither of those claims has any scientific backing, so YMMV, but the one full day of usage I had was the best battery performance I've seen so far.
    07-15-2013 10:38 AM
    Then I'd say we'd have to agree to disagree... it could be possibly partially Verizon's fault, but I will still standby my statements.
    Fair enough. Granted, I can see your point too. Samsung should have tested the update more and people wouldn't be having this problem. However, it was at Verizon's request it was removed in the first place, along with Blocking Mode which is still missing. So I will agree that it is both Verizon & Samsung to blame.
    07-15-2013 10:41 AM
    I actually have to say it's Verizon's fault in completion. I only say this as it's been this way with my last phone also. Which was NOT a Samsung phone. Of course I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time
    07-16-2013 10:28 AM
    I actually have to say it's Verizon's fault in completion. I only say this as it's been this way with my last phone also. Which was NOT a Samsung phone. Of course I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time
    Well let me solve this issue for you guys....it is completely Verizon's fault...I originally bought this phone out right with no contract and was on the Sprint network...Wi-Fi toggle was there. I ended up returning the phone and repurchased phone with Verizon. No Wi-Fi toggle, which was something I loved on my Sprint phone...AT&T s4 also had Wi-Fi toggle. I called Verizon and they personally told me that they had it removed from the manufacturer. Obviously, enough complaints and they tried to add it unsuccessfully without a factory pain in the **** reset...extremely disappointing Verizon...
    07-16-2013 11:35 PM
    Well let me solve this issue for you guys....it is completely Verizon's fault...I originally bought this phone out right with no contract and was on the Sprint network...Wi-Fi toggle was there. I ended up returning the phone and repurchased phone with Verizon. No Wi-Fi toggle, which was something I loved on my Sprint phone...AT&T s4 also had Wi-Fi toggle. I called Verizon and they personally told me that they had it removed from the manufacturer. Obviously, enough complaints and they tried to add it unsuccessfully without a factory pain in the **** reset...extremely disappointing Verizon...
    I don't think this solved any issue for me... to me it's still Samsung's issue for not putting the patch in correctly. I've said this enough times. You saying AT&T did this, or Sprint did it this way makes NO difference to me since I'm on Verizon, AND Samsung did not do their job correctly to put in this update.
    07-17-2013 06:34 AM
    Found this on another forum, don't think it's been mentioned as a perfectly usable alternative to a toggle.

"FWIW a screen shortcut to WiFi can also be created by going into Apps > Widgets > 1x1 Settings widget and selecting WiFi."
    toolworker likes this.
    07-17-2013 07:56 AM
    I don't think this solved any issue for me... to me it's still Samsung's issue for not putting the patch in correctly. I've said this enough times. You saying AT&T did this, or Sprint did it this way makes NO difference to me since I'm on Verizon, AND Samsung did not do their job correctly to put in this update.
    I'm saying that the phone comes from the manufacturer with a Wi-Fi toggle irrespective of who's carrier..maybe you need to re-read my post and see the part where I personally called Verizon and tech support looked into it for me and said THEY had it removed....thus making sense that this was a Verizon update to correct the issue. But hey maybe tech support knows less than we do on this site
    07-17-2013 12:09 PM
    I'm saying that the phone comes from the manufacturer with a Wi-Fi toggle irrespective of who's carrier..maybe you need to re-read my post and see the part where I personally called Verizon and tech support looked into it for me and said THEY had it removed....thus making sense that this was a Verizon update to correct the issue. But hey maybe tech support knows less than we do on this site
    Say what you want... I don't care if Verizon took it off. Samsung did it WRONG in how the reinstalled it. Users should NOT have to do a Factory Reset to see the Wifi toggle. Maybe Verizon did not test it very well before they rolled out this change, but since I'm coming from a Razr Maxx (Motorola knows how to do a proper Soak test).
    07-17-2013 01:55 PM
    so does this mean if I do the reset that I will lose my contacts? I just went through a bit of frustration getting them all back and in order how I wanted them. I definitely don't want to go through all of that again.
    07-18-2013 10:29 AM
    so does this mean if I do the reset that I will lose my contacts? I just went through a bit of frustration getting them all back and in order how I wanted them. I definitely don't want to go through all of that again.
    If your contacts on in Gmail, then they will return as soon as you login to your Gmail account. Personally, I ONLY store my contacts in Gmail... that way my contacts follow me to every new device.
    07-18-2013 11:18 AM
    it can only be verizon.... the big red buys the phone from samsung in stock form... performs tweaks to their liking including all of the additional bloatware... tests the newly created device... then sell it to the consumer.... samsung is out of the mix when it comes to the mobile carriers tweaking the phones..... this goes for updates as well,,,, updates are tweaked by verizon....verizon is just simply the worse at it!
    08-02-2013 09:51 PM
    Anyone know if there is another update in the works so that we can get the wifi toggle without doing a factory reset?

I don't want to reset my phone and deal with all of that..
    08-05-2013 10:19 AM
    Anyone know if there is another update in the works so that we can get the wifi toggle without doing a factory reset?

I don't want to reset my phone and deal with all of that..
    I'd seriously doubt it. Doing a factory reset isn't really that big of a deal. It's probably a good idea to do it just to learn what you need backed up and how to back things up in a controlled way rather than scrambling to figure it out if something bad ever happens. My overall phone performance got better after the factory reset as well.
    08-05-2013 10:45 AM
    There is an alternative to doing a reset, it can be found here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sam...galaxy-s4.html it does however require you to be rooted, and you have to have the SQLite Editor app, if you have those 2 things, it takes less then a minute to do it and your toggle is back, i did it, it works perfectly just like they said.

Youtube also has a video if you care to find it, i found both after a google search for add wifi toggle to galaxy s4
    08-06-2013 05:24 AM
    I went ahead and just did a reset. WiFi toggle shows up fine now. Also did some restarts and it did not go away. Seems to work fine. +1 for the reset fixing the WiFi toggle.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-08-2013 11:20 AM
    At first when I read this I thought you were referring to the god forsaken notification of wireless networks that is always in the way, then I realized it wasn't and hope there is a way to get rid of (likely not) that annoying notification.
    08-09-2013 09:56 PM
    "FWIW a screen shortcut to WiFi can also be created by going into Apps > Widgets > 1x1 Settings widget and selecting WiFi."
    That's a good one. It takes you to the WiFi settings screen.

I prefer a one-touch widget, but most of the ones I tried gave a "stopped" error message when turning wifi on.

One that worked is WiFi Manager. It comes in different sizes and can display SSID and signal strength.

Beware of WIFI widget(One tap switch) which worked great but in the latest update added a ton of intrusive permissions, so I uninstalled it.
    08-21-2013 10:47 AM
    Thank you for this information. I now have the widget on my home page, which for me was half the battle. If I can enlist the collective wisdom of the group, is there a way to get the widget from my home page up to the notification bar at the top row? Just wondering....
    08-26-2013 06:59 AM
48 12