For those WITHOUT Wi-Fi Toggle After Update

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I read on another forum someone did a factory reset to get the wifi toggle, the toggle appeared and when they did a restart the toggle disappeared. Not saying that can happen to everyone and maybe this person had bad luck but I'm definitely not going to do a reset now although everyone else had a better experience. Nothing aside from the toggle is wrong with my phone so I'm going to leave it as is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
First someone said:

@Fatboy97...Thanks! I will leave the device as it is without the toggle... I have better things to do! Big Red has their cabasa up their...

Posted via Android Central App

Then you say:

How can you blame Samsung? It was Verizon who made Samsung remove features from the phone. Just look at the S4 on other carriers. Verizon is to blame.

Verizon is not the one that programmed this being put on the Verizon S4... Samsung did... if it does not work without a full Factory Reset then I blame Samsung, not Verizon. If Samsung had done it correctly we would not have to do a Factory Reset.

AndroidJay

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
First someone said:

Then you say:

Verizon is not the one that programmed this being put on the Verizon S4... Samsung did... if it does not work without a full Factory Reset then I blame Samsung, not Verizon. If Samsung had done it correctly we would not have to do a Factory Reset.

If Verizon did not request Samsung to remove it in the first place, we would not be having this problem. So I blame Verizon.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon did not request Samsung to remove it in the first place, we would not be having this problem. So I blame Verizon.

Then I'd say we'd have to agree to disagree... it could be possibly partially Verizon's fault, but I will still standby my statements.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree I don't think one should have to do a reset to enable features. I can understand a reboot. Not sure who's Idea it was though.
I'm not sure it was intentional. I agree we shouldn't have to, but it appears as if it's a really good idea, anyway. After the update I did a soft reboot and after that BatteryGuru went nuts and drained my battery. I don't know if it had anything to do with the update or not, but it made me wonder what all hadn't gotten fixed, or worse, what broke, if my OTA update didn't fully "take."

I did the factory reset and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Anything on your SD card is safe and it's pretty easy to back up launcher configurations (in Nova, at least) and SMS. Many other apps have ways to backup app data as well. Just make sure to save everything to your SD card. The only annoyance is remembering to disable all of the notifications you don't want, but there's a built in reminder for that (i.e. you get an unwanted notification which reminds you to turn off notifications in that app).

FWIW, my battery life appears to be better now than it ever has been after the factory reset, and that's without BatteryGuru. Everything seems to be running at least as smooth, if not smoother, as well. Neither of those claims has any scientific backing, so YMMV, but the one full day of usage I had was the best battery performance I've seen so far.

AndroidJay

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Then I'd say we'd have to agree to disagree... it could be possibly partially Verizon's fault, but I will still standby my statements.

Fair enough. Granted, I can see your point too. Samsung should have tested the update more and people wouldn't be having this problem. However, it was at Verizon's request it was removed in the first place, along with Blocking Mode which is still missing. So I will agree that it is both Verizon & Samsung to blame.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I actually have to say it's Verizon's fault in completion. I only say this as it's been this way with my last phone also. Which was NOT a Samsung phone. Of course I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time

dalaalsingh

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually have to say it's Verizon's fault in completion. I only say this as it's been this way with my last phone also. Which was NOT a Samsung phone. Of course I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time

Well let me solve this issue for you guys....it is completely Verizon's fault...I originally bought this phone out right with no contract and was on the Sprint network...Wi-Fi toggle was there. I ended up returning the phone and repurchased phone with Verizon. No Wi-Fi toggle, which was something I loved on my Sprint phone...AT&T s4 also had Wi-Fi toggle. I called Verizon and they personally told me that they had it removed from the manufacturer. Obviously, enough complaints and they tried to add it unsuccessfully without a factory pain in the **** reset...extremely disappointing Verizon...

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well let me solve this issue for you guys....it is completely Verizon's fault...I originally bought this phone out right with no contract and was on the Sprint network...Wi-Fi toggle was there. I ended up returning the phone and repurchased phone with Verizon. No Wi-Fi toggle, which was something I loved on my Sprint phone...AT&T s4 also had Wi-Fi toggle. I called Verizon and they personally told me that they had it removed from the manufacturer. Obviously, enough complaints and they tried to add it unsuccessfully without a factory pain in the **** reset...extremely disappointing Verizon...

I don't think this solved any issue for me... to me it's still Samsung's issue for not putting the patch in correctly. I've said this enough times. You saying AT&T did this, or Sprint did it this way makes NO difference to me since I'm on Verizon, AND Samsung did not do their job correctly to put in this update.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Found this on another forum, don't think it's been mentioned as a perfectly usable alternative to a toggle.

"FWIW a screen shortcut to WiFi can also be created by going into Apps > Widgets > 1x1 Settings widget and selecting WiFi."

dalaalsingh

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this solved any issue for me... to me it's still Samsung's issue for not putting the patch in correctly. I've said this enough times. You saying AT&T did this, or Sprint did it this way makes NO difference to me since I'm on Verizon, AND Samsung did not do their job correctly to put in this update.

I'm saying that the phone comes from the manufacturer with a Wi-Fi toggle irrespective of who's carrier..maybe you need to re-read my post and see the part where I personally called Verizon and tech support looked into it for me and said THEY had it removed....thus making sense that this was a Verizon update to correct the issue. But hey maybe tech support knows less than we do on this site

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm saying that the phone comes from the manufacturer with a Wi-Fi toggle irrespective of who's carrier..maybe you need to re-read my post and see the part where I personally called Verizon and tech support looked into it for me and said THEY had it removed....thus making sense that this was a Verizon update to correct the issue. But hey maybe tech support knows less than we do on this site

Say what you want... I don't care if Verizon took it off. Samsung did it WRONG in how the reinstalled it. Users should NOT have to do a Factory Reset to see the Wifi toggle. Maybe Verizon did not test it very well before they rolled out this change, but since I'm coming from a Razr Maxx (Motorola knows how to do a proper Soak test).

windycityrider

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
so does this mean if I do the reset that I will lose my contacts? I just went through a bit of frustration getting them all back and in order how I wanted them. I definitely don't want to go through all of that again.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
so does this mean if I do the reset that I will lose my contacts? I just went through a bit of frustration getting them all back and in order how I wanted them. I definitely don't want to go through all of that again.

If your contacts on in Gmail, then they will return as soon as you login to your Gmail account. Personally, I ONLY store my contacts in Gmail... that way my contacts follow me to every new device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908