Verizon Galaxy S4: Bluetooth, paired, but not connected.

alty68

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I know this topic comes up a lot, but I can't seem to find my particular problem, or how to resolve it.

I have a 2011 Subaru outback that came equipped with BT. I used to have a Motorola Droid that connected to my BT flawlessly. This is not the case with my Samsung Galaxy S4.

When I set up the BT in the car to pair with the phone all goes well and the phone pairs and connects to the car's BT. However, when I turn the BT off on my phone the problem starts. When I then turn the phone's BT back on it says it is paired with the car's BT but it isn't connected. When I touch the BT "carmedia" tab on the phone it says "connecting..." but it does not connect. If I unpair the "carmedia" from the phone and go through the whole set up again (from the car- choosing "pair phone") then everything works fine. But the minute I turn off the BT from the phone then I can't get BT connected unless I go through the whole pairing process from the beginning.

I have deleted all phones from my car's BT memory- this seemed to reset my car's BT to the first time I turned it on (the car will say "welcome to blue tooth..."). This did not resolve the problem.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated. I like the ability to turn my BT on and off on my phone when I want.

If this helps my phone is a wireless hotspot. But I have unchecked the box that says only pair to visible devices. And I am not using the wifi feature.

Alty

Last edited by a moderator:

canuckwest

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Blue Tooth, paired, but not connected.

I wondered if you were also having problems with sound quality. Since I moved over from my Droid X, no one can understand me and say that I sound like I'm in a wind tunnel.

Lee

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I have a 14 forester and almost returned the phone because bluetooth was screwy.

Download this app

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...store/apps/details?id=a2dp.Vol&token=Y6c5y8Wg

In the main page press menu button and select "preferences" and set them to what I've attached.

Then pair to your car so it shows up in the app like seen. "car media" in my case.

Now click on "car media" and select edit and set the options to what I have.

Reboot your phone and hopefully it fixes it for you. I keep my bluetooth on 24/7 though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373781903215.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373781903215.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 68
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373781944058.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373781944058.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373781955253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373781955253.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 66

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm a huge fan of the A2DP Volume app. Been using it for ages.

So many good things about it:

Adjusts phone and BT media volume
Collection location data to help find parked car
Start up app on connect so you can have your favorite media player run instead of stock app
Reads texts and GTalks messages (doesn't support Hangouts yet but if you don't take or uninstall the Hangouts update it will still work)

Great developer support. Used it for a long time before I had to contact dev about issue. Turns out he lives just a few miles from me!!

jlester73

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I am having an odd issue with Bluetooth as well. I have a 2011 Audi S4 that does not support A2DP streaming, but has handsfree support for making calls. I bought a bluetooth music receiver that plugs in the iPod port so I can stream music through the radio. The Galaxy S4 does not seem to want to auto-connect with both my music receiver and the car at the same time. It connects to the music receiver almost instantly, but does not connect to the car until I go into the Connections menu on the phone and touch the car's BT profile. Once I do that, it connects fine to both at the same time. I had a Razr Maxx before and it auto connected to both whenever the car was started. I unpaired from both and then set them back up again, but still have the same problem.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

I am having an odd issue with Bluetooth as well. I have a 2011 Audi S4 that does not support A2DP streaming, but has handsfree support for making calls. I bought a bluetooth music receiver that plugs in the iPod port so I can stream music through the radio. The Galaxy S4 does not seem to want to auto-connect with both my music receiver and the car at the same time. It connects to the music receiver almost instantly, but does not connect to the car until I go into the Connections menu on the phone and touch the car's BT profile. Once I do that, it connects fine to both at the same time. I had a Razr Maxx before and it auto connected to both whenever the car was started. I unpaired from both and then set them back up again, but still have the same problem.

Samsung phones won't connect to both automatically. It is the codecs that they use. I have tested the S3, S4, Note2 with my car and they are all the same. I contacted Samsung and they don't have an answer. Every Motorola, HTC, BlackBerry, Nokia and Apple device I have tested all connect automatically to both. That is my biggest annoyance with Samsung phones. I have to manually connect every time I get in my car whether I leave Bluetooth on or off. With the latest S4 update I can't even seem to get them to connect at all. Samsung must have changed something in their Bluetooth coding as it pertains to my Nissan Maxima 2012. If they don't fix this soon I will be returning my S4 32gb and going with something else.

Visgor

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bluetooth, paired, but not connected.

I have the same car 2011 Subaru Outback Sport, With the same issue. Ones car or phone being disconnected, it doesn't automatically connects back. Install of A2DP Volume does not solve the issue. Any suggestions?

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

Unfortunately manufacturers are not required to provide the same codecs for all smartphones when it comes to Bluetooth. That is why some smartphones work better than others with different types of cars. Some will never work well or at all with some types of cars. I have had this happen many times and as a result had to decide on a different phone than what I wanted because it would not work with my Bluetooth car kit. There should be a codec standard with all smartphones and all cars, but we are a long way off of that happening. You might need to try a different smartphone.

silverstrat1978

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I've been demo'ing s4's at work, had two from att, and two from verizon. I finally switched over to a verizon s4. The first three phones all paired and would connect, but had to be connected manually some times. this phone connects once just like the original poster, but once the car is shut of or bluetooth is switched off there is nothing that i can do to make it connect again. This has to be a simple thing to correct, and if not simple, it has to be looked at as a mandatory thing to correct, wtf this is half the benefit some people get from their smartphone is the ability to use it in a car hands free, and thats to say nothing about the music implications. what a pain. this is my first android, do issues like this generally get fixed over time or is it tough **** go back to an iphone?

silverstrat1978

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

i just un paired the phone, installed bluetooth autoconnect app, and repaired, SO FAR, its been working much better.

knight1fox3

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Good thread. Glad I found this. I'm having a similar issue where I can pair my phone with the vehicle's phone audio but it won't let me activate media audio. When I check media audio on my GS4, after a few seconds it unchecks itself. I may have to give that bluetooth autoconnect app a try. Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

steve1172

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I have a 2013 Subaru Impreza and had no luck utilizing any of the bluetooth apps, had read on another post about deleting my old phone pairing and pairing my new Samsung Galaxy S4 to the Subaru via VOICE COMMANDS vs the push button menu button on the Subaru radio and it worked! Have been able to auto-connect the phone and my Subie ever since.

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

I had the same issues with my 2014 Forester. Any time I would turn the car off, or if another device was connected on a previous car trip, mine would not connect. This has fixed my issues. First I unpaired from the car and started over to pair. Not sure if this was necessary, but it was my process. Then went to settings, more, location services, my places, car. In the car settings, I chose Bluetooth. I did this all while sitting in the car. Reboot. Now I will automatically connect without issues. Did notice that while using navigation and music, the music would mute, but the navigation voice would either not come through or would be cut off. I switched to using the Google music player instead of stock and now the music will be dimmed and the navigation voice will come through loud and clear. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SGS4 using Tapatalk

Randy Carnell

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I have a 2012 WRX and was having the same issue.... I unpaired the Note 3, then repaired using steering wheel controls and voice command. Works great now. Thanks!

USSCSmith

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

I have a 2012 Subaru Legacy; I have sold most of my bluetooth connection problems however I can't get the media/ track information to display. Oddly enough it displays if I pause the music but doesn't display anything while music is playing. Anybody have a clue?

Posted via Android Central App

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Samsung phones won't connect to both automatically. It is the codecs that they use. I have tested the S3, S4, Note2 with my car and they are all the same. I contacted Samsung and they don't have an answer. Every Motorola, HTC, BlackBerry, Nokia and Apple device I have tested all connect automatically to both. That is my biggest annoyance with Samsung phones. I have to manually connect every time I get in my car whether I leave Bluetooth on or off. With the latest S4 update I can't even seem to get them to connect at all. Samsung must have changed something in their Bluetooth coding as it pertains to my Nissan Maxima 2012. If they don't fix this soon I will be returning my S4 32gb and going with something else.

My OG Nexus connects to my car without issue. These issues are making me worried though. Need to decide between the S4 and Note 3.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Bluetooth seems to be one of those things that is hit-or-miss. My S4 mostly does fine in connecting with the Bluetooth in my wife's Accord, I just have to check the handsfree sharing options each time (I could probably avoid even that, but it's not a big deal). I did have to delete it from the car's system and re-connect one time, but aside from that no problems. I was happy to find yesterday that I could use the phone to stream Pandora through the car's sound system, something I had not tried before.

Rowzee Mendozie

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

I recently went from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to 4. My G3 connected perfectly fine with my JVC unit. I tried over and over to get it to work. It would pair and then no sound at all. So I went to google play and downloaded "bluetooth autoconnect" by "uniqtec" and bam! problem solved on the first try. Hope it helps those who still have problems connecting.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Hi. I have been having this same issue and was able to finally resolve it. Unpair your phone with the car bluetooth, Go to the car and push the talk button on the steering wheel and when it says listening, turn the radio knob until you get to a menu option that says Setup. Select Setup and scroll until you find Initialize. Select Initialize and this will "reset" your bluetooth. Next, pair the phone using the same process (through the steering wheel). It may take one or two attempts to get this right, but it seems to be the fix. This morning, I warmed up my car (2012 Outback) and the bluetooth connected while I was in my house! Ah, first world problems... :) In my opinion, this is clearly a Subaru issue and not Samsung.

I hope this works for you.