10-30-2013 09:59 AM
61 123
tools
    This is the worst update I have ever seen. Constantly crashes, tells me to turn in 300 feet as I am going past the street, all favorite places gone, too many steps to program it. I am downloading third party apps to check them out, but will not use Google maps again until they return to the old format, which was very accurate and simple to use. Talk about screwing something up!!!
    08-05-2013 10:37 AM
    Yeah, this is bad. I'm finding the Navigation app to be extremely sluggish in comparison now, but the worst part is that it loses the navigation every time I switch to a different app. I switch back and it's asking me to input the destination again. No one feels like fumbling with that while driving. It sure makes switching to the music player and back again a pain. This is uncharacteristically sloppy for Google
    disneymagik likes this.
    08-05-2013 11:50 PM
    Casey, you my hero! you gave me back my sanity!
    Sorry, I just now noticed this. You're welcome! Just say HEEEEEEEEEELLLL no to the new Maps update, haha!
    08-07-2013 03:28 PM
    Used to ba great app. Now too many steps, wrong directions, and the damn thing won't turn off!
    08-09-2013 05:28 PM
    I too played with the new GUI a bit and found most everything is there. The only real problem I found is navigation directions are completely fubar. 1.7 mile loop to get from my house to my next door neighbor? Really? Come on, people! If you want us to accept change,

IT AT LEAST HAS TO WORK CORRECTLY!

I followed Casey's direction and it worked great. Back to a normal WORKING app. Only thing I would add is to turn off global automatic updates first before doing the force stop and uninstall updates.
    disneymagik likes this.
    08-09-2013 09:49 PM
    Completely agree with all those who have voiced displeasure with the new Google Maps. Navigation is particularly terrible. Crashes and randomly stops navigation, asking me to re-select the destination. I no longer have a route overview option with rerouting options. The list goes on. I've reverted to the old version. I hope Google is listening to the outcry of faithful G Maps users who relied on it for business and personal use.
    08-13-2013 08:07 AM
    I'm sure it's great when it actually works, but for me, all I get is a blank grid, no map actually shows up with the new Google Maps.
    08-13-2013 01:03 PM
    Thanks bro! It worked, just glad to see local maps and navigation app... whew!!! some updates really SUCKS, i hope google also puts rider stating u will b screwed after this update or they can mention u will loose following apps.
    08-18-2013 01:58 AM
    I totally agree. I fail to understand the purpose of changing things that work fine. If it was a business negotiation, at least keep the software as is and just change the face. Demolishing the software was completely stupid.
    08-29-2013 02:55 PM
    Ha, perhaps they would rather you stay at *their* hotel.
    Myself, I Lost about 3 months work to their "upgrade"..
    Pity..
    RV
    08-31-2013 01:37 PM
    I've had a lot of trouble with maps also. I can not find how to uninstall the update. I cannot find that option. I am rooted. I have the option of uninstalling the app, but not the update. Any help?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    09-01-2013 12:07 AM
    I personally am OK with the Google mapping apps. That said, has anyone tried Mapquest? I didn't care for it myself but if you hate Google, maybe check this one out.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
    09-01-2013 10:06 AM
    I had updated to the "new" maps on my GNEX and hated it. After a week I still couldnt do simple things like find favorites, etc. Fortunately my brand new s4 came with the older maps and I am trying to make sure I don't hit "update all" by mistake next time I'm in the app store...Old is much easier. As a fall back I have CoPilot, the beauty of it is that all the maps are downloaded into memory.
    09-01-2013 11:40 PM
    I like some of it. But I don't like how when I search it tells me a place doesn't exist. Or won't provide me with the closest UDF
    09-02-2013 05:38 PM
    I rolled my phone back and uninstalled the update, but is there a way to stop getting constant notifications to update? No way am I going back to the "new' Maps/Nav!
    09-03-2013 08:38 AM
    How do you uninstall just the updates?

09-03-2013 09:02 AM
    How do you uninstall just the updates?

Go to market. Select uninstall. It will leave the base version of maps there.
    09-03-2013 09:13 AM
    You can checkout Team Blackout's website and get an inverted maps 6.1whatever, and sideload it. You won't get the play store notification to update either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    09-03-2013 03:08 PM
    Thank you so much Casey Cheung. You made my day! This started after a recent hospitalization, so I thought I was losing it.
    Casey Cheung likes this.
    09-05-2013 02:39 PM
    Heraldo, when I go to the playstore, and select the maps app, my only choice is to "open" it. There is no uninstall option that I see.

When I go into my phone's settings and then apps, my only options there are force close or disable. Again, there is no uninstall option. Right now, I have the app disabled. FYI, my phone is rooted, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions?

Frank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-06-2013 12:44 AM
    Heraldo, when I go to the playstore, and select the maps app, my only choice is to "open" it. There is no uninstall option that I see.

When I go into my phone's settings and then apps, my only options there are force close or disable. Again, there is no uninstall option. Right now, I have the app disabled. FYI, my phone is rooted, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions?

Frank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    I do not know. I haven't been able to root my phone. But before I disabled any app I had to uninstall the updates. I imagine if you unfreeze it it will ask you to either update it or uninstall. But I'm not sure. But uninstalling updates worked for me.
    09-06-2013 01:24 AM
    Good news! I went to Application Manager, clicked on Maps, pressed the forced stop button, then did an uninstall updates, then cleared cache, then magic happened! My Google Navigation went back to "normal" like it used to be! Plus the "Local" app now also works normally like it used to.

The new Maps update and Google Navigation update is pure cr@p!!! Plus the updated Google Navigation was very unstable, as it was constantly giving me the message that this app has stopped working and needs to close. That's bull !!

Next time I see an update available for Maps, don't just say no to it, say HEEEEELLLLLLLLLL no to it! Okay, rant over. Whew!
    Well I am one of the chosen few that actually like the new updated maps. I like having the navigation built in already and everything is in one place unlike the old system. The maps actually look good in sat mode.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    09-06-2013 01:33 AM
    Well I am one of the chosen few that actually like the new updated maps. I like having the navigation built in already and everything is in one place unlike the old system. The maps actually look good in sat mode.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    Either way it didn't bother me but what really did bother me is that I would search an address and it would come up "address does not exist" or looking for a specific store and nothing would come up. And if did come up it wasn't the closest one but the one on the other side of town.
    09-06-2013 08:15 AM
    I didn't like that I live right next to a toll way, and I have preset navigation to icons on my home screen. In the old maps I can hit that button, click route and options, select avoid tolls. So it was three touches to get going and avoid the toll road. Also, if I was in a hurry and needed to get home, I could just hit the home button, and later go to route and turn off tolls.
    With the new maps, I'd have to exit the navigation, input the address, select avoid tolls, then navigate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    09-06-2013 09:30 AM
    Yes, I did the same thing, but now how do you prevent it from automatically updating, I have had to "uninstall updates" 3 times a day since?
    I have an LG MOTION with Metro PCS. And Can't find the button in the google play app to prevent automatic updates. Can someone help me?
    09-10-2013 03:55 PM
61 123